Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Valve Cover Clearance

Post Thanks / Like

Valve Cover Clearance

Been away from the build for quite a while, but I'm trying to get going again. My question is, how much clearance from the rocker arm bolts to the underside of the valve cover is needed? I'm going to be using stamped steel covers that I welded up to resemble the original cars, but with the new valve technology, I know that I'm going to need a spacer. Question is how thick will it need to be?
    Sorry for the dumb question, but I've been battling with this for some time, and I want to tie up the loose ends on the engine so it's ready to install hopefully soon.

Rick

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can always put some putty under the valve cover. Set it down on a normal gasket on the head and see if the putty deforms. If so measure it and add gaskets till you get a measurement. I always check this way if I am not sure about a valve cover I am using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace18, it still comes down to how much putty would need to be between the cover and the valve train? Trying to avoid that procedure if I can, but I have modeling clay ready if that turns out to be the only option. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Expanding on Wallace18 said:

If your rockers are installed, and assuming you have valve covers, stick 1/4” clay on top of a rocker and install the valve cover. Rotate the crank and remove the cover. Look for an indentation in the clay. If the clay is dented, add washers between the VC and head and repeat the process until the clay is not deformed. Add the height (thickness) of whatever washers you added plus the thickness of the clay and you should have your clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome RickP! That was what I was trying to determine. So if I have a 1/4" clear above all the valve train parts I should be good?

Post Thanks / Like
    A 1/4” from the highest point of your valve train will get ya. More is safer.