Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget Removable Windshield Wipers

Post Thanks / Like

Budget Removable Windshield Wipers

FOR RENT (just pay it forward)
    These are now available for perpetual rent. Texas doesn't require re-inspection after all.
    I don't want money for renting these.. only that who ever has them, pays for shipping to the next person who needs to borrow them.
    Please take care of them, and don't abuse them. I'll keep this thread up to date with who has them... and who wants them next.
    Just post in here and we can share the love. So, please help me keep track of them, and lets get everybody registered!!

So.. I live in a state that requires automatic wipers for inspection. But.. I didn't want to spend the big $$$$ on the F5 wipers, and I was not confident in the quality of those eBay wiper systems. Not to mention... once I do the initial inspection on my car, I never need to get it done ever again. Given also that I live in a place that doesn't really rain a lot, and I usually have plenty of warning, I fully plan to go the RainX route, and leave these off.

Hence.. I decided to spend as little as possible to pass inspection. Enter the SpeedWayMotors $33 wiper motor. I bought 2 of them, and fabricobbled a mounting system that is totally removable.

I used the door-latch brackets that we normally just throw away. Had to drill out the center hole a little bit, and make a small notch on one side.

A 2" length of 1.5"x1/8" angle aluminum, with 1/2" cut off of one side. Drilled some holes for the main arm, and to clear 3 of the motors face-plate screws. The piece of rubber is just a bit of vac hose. That bit will rest just at the bottom edge of the windshield trim. It's there to take the weight of the motor (which isn't really that heavy) and help resist some of the torque (which isn't very high)

All the parts attached to the motor. The main center nut is torqued down pretty snug, and the friction between all the bits is more than enough to resist the torque of the motor.

Last edited by skidd; 03-04-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    .. cont

4 counter-sunk head machine screws with some rubber isolators, and a couple of split washers for a bit of added spacing.

Mounted!! The top nuts have split washers in there.. and they are not really torqued down crazy-far. More than enough to hold, and pass inspection. Were I to leave this installed, I might use nylocks. It's hard to make out, but the wire between teh motors is just tucked into the windshield channel.. then continues down the passenger side frame where it sneaks behind the dash.

.. and plugs into my cig-lighter power box (switched 30a circuit). This is a painted piece of pot-aluminum with a cig-lighter port, and a dual USB port on the other side.

All removed in about 5 minutes.

And.. a quick youtube video of them running.
    https://youtu.be/LQv1sPf7lRU

Assuming I pass inspection.. fingers crossed... I'll then never need these again. I'm thinking about setting up a rental program for these. That way others who need wipers just for inspection and rent these for ??$$?? some reasonable price. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

3. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!! My state required a wiper. Inspector said there was no requirement for it to be powered. I used a hand crank manual 1 wiper system. Passed inspection and took it off.
    Yours is a great solution for people that actually need real wipers to pass inspection. Thanks for sharing. That should help some guys out!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice solution! And, yes, you'll probably be kept busy renting them out - to 33 guys too.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you have about $75 in it? Shipping it back and forth would be the main expense. IF you truly will never use it again and you feel you got $75 worth of value out of the forum with help/suggestions from others it might be a cool idea just to do a pay it forward system where whoever needs it pays to have it shipped to them and then passes it to the next person that could use it for the cost of shipping.
    Seems like there is a pedal bender going around on the other forum. I always though that was a cool idea.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Skidd,

I like 'em but they are butt ugly. Please, no serious offence intended towards your simple solution.

I've driven a lot in the rain using RainX, this generally works. Have also found that the wipers on my previous SPF cars were marginal at best, to the point that they worked about as well stored in the trunk as when mounted and moving.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense taken. I agree, butt ugly!!! These will not stay on the car past inspection. That's why I'm thinking about putting them into some sort of rental, or pay it forward program once the inspection is done.
    Last edited by skidd; 01-07-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same setup, they stay on exactly as long as the inspection and OFF! If I'm driving in weather that requires wipers .. I have bigger concerns!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Bingo!!
    And.. I passed inspection just last Friday.. so.. money well spent.

11. Likes Ponymedic, ProfessorB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update...
    1st rent going out to TMartinLVNV in Las Vegas.

Reminder.. anybody else wanting to rent them.. please just post in here.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm feeling like a Starbucks card sent to the originator (Skidd) from each person that uses it is in order.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

14. Likes Ponymedic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skidd, I'm still a couple of years away from ordering my kit so I won't be needing wipers for quite some time. I just wanted to thank you for helping others who will be facing the same situation you were in! It's guys like you that make me log in and post comments on these forums. I have never had the opportunity to sit in or drive one of these cars, but this been a dream of mine for the last 12 years. I told my wife that this summer we are taking a trip to the FFR Headquarters and let her see for herself all the different models. She said I have to sell some of my other "projects" first. I feel like I have already put together each model as I have read and studied so many build threads that I could almost put one together without instructions! I have never seen a forum where guys go out of there way to reach out and help each other as much as you guys do! Just remember me when I start asking questions on my build, and don't remind me about saying I could put one together without instructions!

16. Likes skidd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skidd,
    Congrats!! just about done getting mine on the road in NY(Thankfully not as crazy as Steven's inspection process from a couple of weeks ago). I have a similar single setup that I also would be happy to offer up with the same conditions. Pass it on when your done20200201_142012.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote" I used the door-latch brackets that we normally just throw away." Mind explaining this. My MK-II has had the door latch bracket on it for 18 years now and I'm just wondering what the current builders are doing that eliminates the bracket completely.

Curious minds want to know . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Not sure what to tell you.. except that it's even right in the manual. That bracket isn't used on the Mk4. The door striker mounting point is a part of the frame now.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to get on the list for the use of the windshield wipers. I am ready for inspection and willing to pay it forward.

Thanks
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently.. TMartinLVNV Has them. Terry? You done, or almost done with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Skidd, he got a hold of me. I'm still waiting to get the body back and then I'll need a bit of time to get it inspected. I just messaged him saying that I can send to him right away if he is ready and he can send back. I don't want anyone waiting on me.

Terry
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

23. Likes skidd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jason,
    If you want to PM me your address Ill send out this week

Ncik

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember guys.. please post in this thread if you currently have the wipers. So we can track where they are .. and where they are going.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the wipers. Got inspected today. Worked great. I will box them up. Thank you Terry for sending them to me so quick. I will mail them back to you tomorrow.

Thanks again Skidd for you great work on these.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my Roadster inspected today and no longer need these temporary wipers. I'm ready to send to the next person that needs them. Let me or Skidd know.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    It's going to be me, I'm about to put the body on and venture into the inspection within the next week or so. PMed you the address
    Build thread
    FFR mk4 roadster complete kit, 347 cu in carbed BluePrint engine, TKO600, IRS, power steering, ordered Jan2020, delivered 3/25/20, titled 8/23/20, finished 07/17/2021, graduated 10/06/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, Alex, I'll get it out to you USPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is allsome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Please add me to your list. My car was just dropped off for paint, so I will not need it until late October some time.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a single wiper unit available if anyone needs PM me. All I ask is you pay it forward and send it on to the next guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legend42 View Post
    Please add me to your list. My car was just dropped off for paint, so I will not need it until late October some time.

Thanks!
    I believe that alexmak as them. Pretty sure he's done with them too... I think. I don't really have a list going... Just this thread.
    If alexmak is done, just PM him so he can send them over.. and post in here so we can keep track.

Love that these things continue to pay off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda feels like giving the middle finger to each states' DMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alexmak. I am pretty much ready for inspection. Last thing need are wiper blades. Can youo update the status of them?
    Thanks,
    Jack Lundquist, Las Vegas, NV Yes, Terry and I building cars same time. He is just a lot faster. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasjack View Post
    Alexmak. I am pretty much ready for inspection. Last thing need are wiper blades. Can youo update the status of them?
    Thanks,
    Jack Lundquist, Las Vegas, NV Yes, Terry and I building cars same time. He is just a lot faster. lol
    Hey Jack, I have legend42 who reached out to me first, but his car is being painted at the moment. I suggested to wait if someone comes with more immediate need. Looks like legend42 will need wipers in October while you need them in September. I can send them to you now then, and you will forward them to legend42 once you are done. Please PM me your address and I will send them to you this week.

Alex
    Build thread
    FFR mk4 roadster complete kit, 347 cu in carbed BluePrint engine, TKO600, IRS, power steering, ordered Jan2020, delivered 3/25/20, titled 8/23/20, finished 07/17/2021, graduated 10/06/2021

37. Likes skidd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, great. I sent you a PM, but not showing you received it. I will send again. If not, please text me at 702-443-7425. Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the PMs, will send out early next week. You will be responsible for sending wipers next to legend42, probably
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to skidd for coming up with this kit. It works great and I sailed through inspections and licensing with no problems. I have them boxed up and ready to ship to who ever needs them. Just send me a PM with an address and I will take care of the rest. Might be good idea to email me as well as I check that more frequently
    [email protected]

41. Thanks skidd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wiper kit has now been passed on to John C. in Wichita KS. I have his email if anyone needs it, just send me a PM.

43. Likes skidd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just adding to this thread for posterity... looks like the wipers are available again.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-are-available

Post Thanks / Like
    Id love to get my hands on this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Just contact CobraKan in the link I posted above your post. He'll send them over to you. then,.. just post in here when you have them so the next person can find them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking to borrow these wipers for my inspection. Can someone let me know who currently has them? Thanks!
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know who has these currently? Found out I need to pass an inspection in Texas with wipers
    MK2 Roadster - 347 - Boss 302 Crate 4x2 Weber 44 IDFs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast