Hi: I am looking for some innovative solutions. My dry sump pump is driven by a micro-groove v-belt. It is a scavenge only system that returns the oil through a cooler into a tank. The tank gravity feeds the OEM oil pump and filter system. If, at some point, the belt breaks or something happens to the pump, the engine will flood with oil and something bad will happen. Regular checking of the belt is key, but I am looking for warning of a catastrophic failure. An "idiot light" of sorts. I have a few ideas, but would like some thoughts on the details of their implementation.

1) Some sort of sensor that detects rotation of the pump drive pulley. This could be linked to an indicator light on the dash.
2) A pressure switch on the discharge side of the pump. This would have to be relatively low pressure, I think, but could be linked to the a light on the dash. This would indicate oil was returning from the pump to the tank.
3) A level switch in the tank - this could be done a number of ways...but would indicate all the oil was gone...

Any other ideas from this smart group. I get the concept that checking the checker makes things more complicated and, in general, simple is better. I am trying to evaluate if the "insurance" is worth it.