Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NJ Title and Emissions

Post Thanks / Like

NJ Title and Emissions

I have been asking a lot of questions before I take the plunge, so bear with me with another one:

I would hate to build and find I cannot register in NJ. Does anyone have recent experience, especially in the emissions area (it might affect the motor I buy)? I found this on the NJ DMV site....but then I've seen comments that the collector car status was abolished in NJ. I've tried calling DMV, but hold times are very long.....

Custom-built vehicles have a unique titling and registration process. If they didn't come from a major automaker, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) will want to make sure the car is both safely built and made out of parts that were not stolen.

There are several types of vehicles that fall under this category. Reconstructed vehicles such as dune buggies and kit cars are included, as might be salvaged vehicles. If you built or modified a vehicle to such an extent that it needs to be reregistered, you'll be asked to provide bills of sale for every major component that you used―so keep diligent records.

Once these vehicles are titled (or before they are titled), they might need to undergo a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection. If the vehicle doesn't have a VIN, the MVC can issue you one.

Custom-built vehicles might also be subject to a safety and emissions inspection as part of the registration process.

To find out how to title and register your custom-built vehicle, the MVC asks that you contact the MVC Central Office at this address and phone number:

* Motor Vehicle Commission

* 120 S. Stockton and Front Street

* Trenton, NJ 08611

* Phone: (888) 486-3339

Historic and Collector Vehicles

Vehicles 25 years old or older ("historic" vehicles) or collector vehicles that are essentially used only for exhibition or parades are exempt from general inspections. However, a State Inspection Station will need to verify the odometer reading for a $25 fee (this fee goes down to $10 for a renewal).

--- and then it lists elsewhere that collector vehicles exempt from emissions.

Does this match what people have seen lately?

thanks,

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Find out if there is a club in your aria they may help

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Krieger View Post
    I have been asking a lot of questions before I take the plunge, so bear with me with another one:

I would hate to build and find I cannot register in NJ. Does anyone have recent experience, especially in the emissions area (it might affect the motor I buy)? I found this on the NJ DMV site....but then I've seen comments that the collector car status was abolished in NJ. I've tried calling DMV, but hold times are very long.....

Custom-built vehicles have a unique titling and registration process. If they didn't come from a major automaker, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) will want to make sure the car is both safely built and made out of parts that were not stolen.

There are several types of vehicles that fall under this category. Reconstructed vehicles such as dune buggies and kit cars are included, as might be salvaged vehicles. If you built or modified a vehicle to such an extent that it needs to be reregistered, you'll be asked to provide bills of sale for every major component that you used―so keep diligent records.

Once these vehicles are titled (or before they are titled), they might need to undergo a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection. If the vehicle doesn't have a VIN, the MVC can issue you one.

Custom-built vehicles might also be subject to a safety and emissions inspection as part of the registration process.

To find out how to title and register your custom-built vehicle, the MVC asks that you contact the MVC Central Office at this address and phone number:

* Motor Vehicle Commission

* 120 S. Stockton and Front Street

* Trenton, NJ 08611

* Phone: (888) 486-3339

Historic and Collector Vehicles

Vehicles 25 years old or older ("historic" vehicles) or collector vehicles that are essentially used only for exhibition or parades are exempt from general inspections. However, a State Inspection Station will need to verify the odometer reading for a $25 fee (this fee goes down to $10 for a renewal).

--- and then it lists elsewhere that collector vehicles exempt from emissions.

Does this match what people have seen lately?

thanks,

Mark
    Pre 1976 Block is what you need if you plan to have no emissions controls on your car.

Kit cars are exempt from the Collector Registration. IE: A kit car can no longer be registered using the "Collectors Registration" in the state of NJ.

Cobra club meets the first or second Sunday of the month at the Chester Diner, RT206N in Chester, NJ.

Last Sunday was this months meeting.

Have any specific questions in regards to titling your car in NJ, feel free to post as I have helped two replica owners get their cars titled within the last 58 days ........

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

Thanks, I am early on in this, just saw my first FF kit yesterday, I'm starting to more seriously think about this, glad I didn't just go out and buy a new engine

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

The car I saw yesterday, thanks to Michael R, who is the builder, and who lives about 30 miles from me, was fabulous. He bought an early 1970's engine, beautifully rebuilt, the car is really coming along, I was truly impressed with everything I saw. He has the PCV valve, and he did also put on the catalytic converters, mostly for sound (and also for 'belt and suspender' approach to emissions).

If I were to buy a modern crate engine from one of the excellent vendors on this forum, use the catalytic converters, and set it up with EFI, wouldn't that pass the NJ emissions? How would that be different than any old Ford from their factory? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

NJ title help

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Pre 1976 Block is what you need if you plan to have no emissions controls on your car.

Kit cars are exempt from the Collector Registration. IE: A kit car can no longer be registered using the "Collectors Registration" in the state of NJ.

Cobra club meets the first or second Sunday of the month at the Chester Diner, RT206N in Chester, NJ.

Last Sunday was this months meeting.

Have any specific questions in regards to titling your car in NJ, feel free to post as I have helped two replica owners get their cars titled within the last 58 days ........

Bill S.
    Good afternoon Bill. I hope you can help me. I've had an 1999 LS powered cobra rotting away for many years, because I could never get it properly titled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Roadsters View Post
    Good afternoon Bill. I hope you can help me. I've had an 1999 LS powered cobra rotting away for many years, because I could never get it properly titled.
    I am in NJ too and planning a modern engine build. Can’t say this strategy is bullet proof, but in theory it should work and what I am doing. If you have a 1999 LS, you need a factory ECU from a 1999 vehicle with a standalone harness. Not a GM performance ECU and GM performance harness. You then need all the emissions components working like Cats, two sets of O2 sensors, working EVAP system. After all that, then with an ODB2 reader if all the Emissions readiness flags are available and set and you have no check engine light you should be able to pass NJ emissions.

The only thing that will be a mismatch is the VIN in the ECU and your actual VIN, the inspector will provide documentation which will list which vehicle the drivetrain is from so at a state inspection station it can be plugged in for ODB emissions test.