FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Replacing my engine with a Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing my engine with a Coyote

I purchased a Coyote from Mike Forte to replace my old engine and a had a few questions after reading through the Gen 3 installation instructions. First, is there a package of stuff to purchase from FFR such as clutch position switch, heater core hose for heater, aluminum computer mounting bracket etc... I am sure there are other things that would come with car if you had purchased a coyote as your original engine? Second, on page three of the instructions they ask you to purchase Air Intake components from treadstoneperformance.com. I can only find one of the skew numbers. The other is the silicone hose with fittings and air filter. Can you get these from Factory five or do you know of another source?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The Factory Five installation kit is kind of a mixed bag IMO. It comes with a bunch of parts that assume you're going to install the engine exactly like their instructions show. Including mounts (you mention), a bunch of hoses, fittings, etc. Does also include motor mount spacers which are important. But only work with the Energy Suspension mounts. The clutch switch holder (not the switch itself, that comes with the Control Pack) is OK if you're using a cable drive clutch. If you're using a hydraulic, you can modify it or make something else. I personally found I had quite a few parts left over and might have been ahead if I had purchased the parts separately. But I didn't do the math to see if that would have been any cheaper.

I have Treadstone Performance parts in my Coupe. But I've heard from several that they're difficult if not impossible to obtain now. I'm not aware any of those intake parts are available directly from Factory Five. Many have cited https://performancemrp.com/ as an alternate source. IMO, no reason the Spectre parts listed in the Gen 2 instructions also wouldn't be acceptable.

Good luck with your Gen 3 Coyote. Love mine. After the custom tune.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward, my old engine was 1997 4.6 cobra. I have new TKO 600, the energy suspension mounts from the old engine and was told they are the same. I am currently using a mechanically clutch and planned to stay that way as it works fine. I guess I need to get in touch with FFR regarding the clutch switch holder and the computer bracket etc.. Thanks Ill check out the Gen 2 instructions as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    Edward, my old engine was 1997 4.6 cobra. I have new TKO 600, the energy suspension mounts from the old engine and was told they are the same. I am currently using a mechanically clutch and planned to stay that way as it works fine. I guess I need to get in touch with FFR regarding the clutch switch holder and the computer bracket etc.. Thanks Ill check out the Gen 2 instructions as well.
    Just so there's no confusion (maybe there isn't...) agreed the Energy Suspension mounts for your mod motor also fit the Coyote. But for the Coyote you need the spacers that FFR provides to sandwich inside the Energy Suspension mounts and get the Coyote up to the proper height. Also, the switch holder (which isn't a big deal IMO) is for a Wilwood pedal box. Wouldn't work for a Mustang pedal box if that's what you have.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. I will contact FFR and get the spacers. I do have a Wilwood pedal box.
    Thank for the clatification

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    Ok. I will contact FFR and get the spacers. I do have a Wilwood pedal box.
    Thank for the clatification
    Sent you a PM, Pretty sure I have some spacers if you want them.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63