Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Startup Costs... Orangeville Area..

Post Thanks / Like

Startup Costs... Orangeville Area..

Good day;

I am finally getting down to seriously considering my build, I am budgeting $40K CAN - which I hope is something doable.

Part of the budget process is startup costs, what does it cost to get started and what should I be budgeting for. I would probably drive myself in my pickup, with a flatbed and pick it up myself.

I do not intend to use a donor car, and want to do a Coyote based build, I am considering the IRS rear option depending on the cost difference.

Any commented appreciated.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on options and cost of paintwork it will be close or over that amount based on my customer builds. Not saying it can't be done but cost creep is easy to jump up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I responded on the other forum as well. I would suggest the complete kit if you are not using a donor. As for budget, $40k CAD is tight. If you prep and paint yourself it could be done but here are some of the major costs:

Complete kit $19,900 USD
    Coyote and trans $11-12k USD
    Prep and paint $6-12k USD (prices can be higher even)

Right there you are at $37-44k USD. This does not include tires or any mods. You could drive in gelcoat for a couple seasons and save up for prep and paint later.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also answered on the other forum. Not to rain on your parade but we have to be realistic... You'd be hard pressed to finish and paint a Coyote Mk4 for 40K US. I'm afraid your exchange rate, tarrifs and having to effectively buy some of the kit parts twice because Transport Canada won't allow them to be included is going to make 40K Canadian impossible.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Others have been pretty honest. I'll add my honest comments as well. 40K Canadian isn't going to do it for what you want. in 2012, the Canadian dollar was slightly higher than the US. My crate Coyote/MkIV with 3-link suspension came in just under 50K. some extras included,

- Crate Coyote
    - Tremec TKO 600
    - Moser 8.8 differential
    - Stainless Headers 4x1x4 headers.
    - Custom tune
    - FFR Halibrand wheels
    - Heater/defroster
    - Heated seat kits
    - FFR leather seats
    - FFR wipers
    - Wilwood brakes
    - FFR oil cooler - non functional
    - Battery relocate kit
    - Additional trunk storage kit
    - Cooling system fan shroud kit
    - Herbs door panels
    - Kay and Phil snapless tonneau cover
    - Premium top
    - Custom stereo install - although you can save $1,000 and ditch the stereo. NEVER use it. CAN'T hear it while driving.

A couple of things to consider.
    1. Complete the project over a longer time period and spread out the cost. Consider a used drive train.
    2. The Canadian dollar varies as the value of the US dollar fluctuates. Since the 80s, a number of scandles has rocked the US financial sector causing the stock market to plunge and the value of the greenback to fall. The "Savings and Loans" scandle, the "Financial sector" meltdown, the "housing crisis" have all resulted in the Canadian dollar gaining ground on the $US. Are we poised for another meltdown? Hold tight. It might be time to buy you dream car kit

Post Thanks / Like
    I am north of $50k without paint and I used a donor drive train. You cannot order a complete kit in Canada, which adds costs and I managed to hit a low CAD dollar. I saved money by picking up the kit myself and shipped all other parts to a Niagara Falls storage for occasional pickup. This saved big dollars on international shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. All of the above and from the other forum is true. You will probably go over your budget. You can get most of what you want locally and save shipping charges. Shipping to Canada is a killer! Also, UPS adds a "brokerage fee" which can be almost as much as the parts(s) are worth. You will have take some time and do some research.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also replied in the other forum, I’m not far from you, in Alliston. Feel free to come by and check out mine, almost done, I can go through some of the extras and costs with you too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    UPS adds a "brokerage fee" which can be almost as much as the parts(s) are worth. You will have take some time and do some research.
    Yes. I agree 100%. I would definitely avoid having anything shipped by UPS. I have had to forgo ordering items, because some companies only used UPS for shipping. I had to find a different source for them.

USPS, (United States Postal System), is the best method. In many cases there were no duty or taxes charged by our post office/customs, and postal costs were less then any courier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone in your experience go with a wrap finish on these? This could be a big money saver, especial if it was done by owner/builder.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s been widely discussed. You still need to do the bodywork to the point where it’s read for paint, so basically saving the cost of the paint and some labor. I think the wrap then costs the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grinthock View Post
    Good day;

I am finally getting down to seriously considering my build, I am budgeting $40K CAN - which I hope is something doable.

Part of the budget process is startup costs, what does it cost to get started and what should I be budgeting for. I would probably drive myself in my pickup, with a flatbed and pick it up myself.

I do not intend to use a donor car, and want to do a Coyote based build, I am considering the IRS rear option depending on the cost difference.

Any commented appreciated.
    Here's my 2 cents....ITS COMPLETLY DOABLE!!!! First off the Canadian kit is $12,500 US. Contact Ryan Valin and get the Canadian completion list. Tell him what you want in your build and he will email you everything you need to get to your Canadian kit up to the complete kit level. If that's the motor you want, go salvage. Cruise the classifieds on both of the forums and pick up the parts you need at discounted prices. Most parts are new or almost new and most people on these forums are pretty honest and will help you out. Since your near a border town you can ship to the states and go pick it up. Heres just one place in NF..http://247parcel.com/parcel.html.
    IRS is a big expense, so is the coyote. Body and paint are the biggest expense your going to encounter. No getting around that unless your a body guy. Your skill level will determine a lot if your planning a bunch of mods. If you have to buy them all budget will get blown up in a hurry, if you can do them yourself budget stays in check!

Again, that's my 2 cents, I don't have a kit(as you can see by my screen name!) but I do have all the parts off the Canadian completion list!!!!
    Last edited by Higgybulin; 09-18-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I am jumping in here as I have a 33 thats closing in to the final stages of my build, this is my lineup:
    • FFR 33 Complete Canadian Kit with the following options added (21k USD, includes volume discounts which is a must when you buy your kit!):
    o Powder coated frame
    o Coyote engine exhaust & Parts
    o Manual Transmission Pedal box
    o Hard Top w/power windows
    o 2015 IRS rear end
    o Leather seats upgrade
    o Hot Rod Xtra Clearance hood
    o Spread Rear Exhaust
    o Bike Fender Kit
    o Seat Track (drivers side)
    o Sound Insulation Kit
    o Paintable Tilt Steering
    • Canadian Completion Kit (must come from a second non-related source, $6000 USD)
    • Here’s when it gets fun and you can spend a lot of money or very little:
    o Engine: (From Standard Auto Wreckers in Ontario) bought 3 years ago well in advance of taking the dive to build the car. 2013 5L Coyote $2600 CDN delivered to Ottawa
    o Transmission and all components needed: TKO600 from Tremec bought through Summit Racing $4,200 USD (did a cross border pickup, paid $100CDN in taxes)
    • Heater and Brake reservoir $500 USD
    • Paint from House of Kolor: $2200 CDN
    • Tires and rims: $1800 CDN (Got a smashing deal on this!)
    • Misc. parts which includes, paint, primers, sandpaper, steel, aluminum, nuts bolts etc… $2000 Cdn
    • Still to come:
    o Painting of Car by a professional: $2000 CDN (Note: I am doing all the prep and sanding and he is only doing the primer, painting and color sanding, he is making sure it’s to his standards or better.
    These are areas where you can save $$$$ if you find the right people and you can do the work)
    o Any additional car accents to the theme budgeted at $2000 CDN.

As you can see I have not gone too overboard and have provided A LOT of personal work on this and I am currently at a rough completion total of $43,400 CDN (using a 1.25 x-rate for the USD). I will let you make your own decision however if you stick with a base car, minimize certain options and make sure you buy when they have their sale on (to get up to 20% off, which offsets exchange and taxes). Have fun!!!
    20180811_122227.jpg
    Last edited by AJT '33; 09-19-2018 at 08:28 AM.

14. Likes Higgybulin liked this post