I'm trying to install the Pro M Racing in tank fuel pump hanger that Paul (edwardb) and others have used. My question is regarding the electrical connections. I'm also using the Walbro 255lph pump. The red "female disconnect" from the hanger fits onto the pump directly, but the black one is too small. It seems like most have solved this problem by cutting off the female disconnects on the hanger and splicing them onto a connector clip which then plugs into the pump. (pic 1 below) That connector clip has wires which are smaller, so a reducing butt connector is needed.

My question is, can I just cut off the female disconnect from the hanger that is too small and attach a larger one that fits onto the pump directly? This method would not use the connector clip at all. Any issues with this way? Is the former preferable? I'm hesitant to go out on my own here with electrical connections immersed in fuel. Seems like an explosion waiting to happen... Here are some pics to help explain things. Many thanks!