FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New GTM Owner Needs a Little Help

Post Thanks / Like

New GTM Owner Needs a Little Help

I just bought a used GTM and all I can say is "What a Car!". I see a fuel port on each of the rear fenders and was wondering if there are two fuel tanks, or if both ports go to the same tank. When the fuel gage hit about 1/3 tank, the car seemed to run out of gas so I toggled the two switches on the lower dash to the right of the steering wheel and stopped on the side of the road. Three attempts on the starter got it going and somehow I was able to get to a nearby gas station. It took 12 gallons in the left port to bring the fuel gage to full. Drove the 15 miles to get home and everything seemed fine. Would appreciate any help on the fuel tank and toggle switch questions.

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know anything about the toggle switches but yes, there are two tanks. They are the plastic Corvette tanks, they are fed by the same pump and can be filled from one side provided the crossover tube is present. Not sure how the aftermarket aluminum tanks work.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mark,

The toggle switch is not a normal thing in the fuel system, so not sure what it controls. Also, your issue depends on how old your kit is and how it was built. The owner could have separated the fuel level sensors with the toggle switch and flipping the switch switches the gauge reading from one tank to the other tank. It's also possible that the owner never vented the tanks, and when your car died, it didn't really run out of fuel. If they didn't vent the tanks, then there is no way for air to get into the tanks as fuel is used....so it will only run so long until the vacuum inside the tanks overcomes the ability of the pump to pull fuel from the tank. After a year or so, FFR realized there was a problem with the way they had the fuel system set up using the jet pump to fill the pass side tank.....and they came up with the -12 crossover hose that connects the 2 tanks together so that fuel can flow from one tank to the other. If you were completely out of fuel, you should have been able to get about 18 gallons in there. Since you managed to get 12 in there, each tank is over 9 gallons, so apparently at least some of the fuel went into the other tank.....so it's probably a safe bet that the crossover hose is on there.....and if you really ran out of fuel, you probably could have gotten 18 gallon in there if you would have allowed a bit more time for the tanks to equalize thru the crossover hose.....again, assuming that BOTH tanks are properly vented.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help. I have discovered that the two plastic tanks are connected. In addition to the 12 gallons and 15 miles I drove, I added another 5 gallons today which filled both tanks to the neck. Still working on the switch function and a CV joint leak before 6 months of storage before I get to drive it again.