I'm continuing to pick off items on the winter punch list while I wait for the call from Jeff. I waited forever for the assembled louvers to get back in stock at FFR, since I wasn't really keen on the kit-provided engine bay louvered vents. Problem is, I had already done my body cutouts, which don't fit the assembled louvered vents all that well. Oops, shoulda caught that one with more reading. In reading up some more and trying to figure out best options, I found a thread in which mentioned this option. I couldn't find any photos of them installed, but figured I'd give it a try.

They need a slightly larger opening, 5-1/2 high by 8" long. The angle of the parallelogram shape is almost exactly the same as is called for by FFR for the side cutouts. The vents come unassembled and flat, so there's some work required to get them into finished shape. The cut edges are very rough, so you'll need to either grab your favorite Dremel accessory or some hand files to round the edges of all the fins. In other words, forget about the '5 minute assembly time". I've got some sharpie marker lines on the finished vent ... I plan to cut out the relief (left line) to allow more front-to-back positioning capability when I place the vent. Also, you don't have to make the vent as long as called for (right line).

As delivered and after blueprinting / assembly:

Untitled by John Ibele, on Flickr

When I enlarged the cutouts I used the 'tight' (small radius) corners exactly matching the radius of the cuts on the vents, but that looked too sharp. I lengthened the cutouts on the car slightly to allow for a larger radius corner, which look just right. I'm happy with the choice. They don't look noticeably larger when installed, and they're sturdy and handsome. And - the initial motivator - I've got vents which are a good match for my cutouts now.