Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: California body shop recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

California body shop recommendations?

Searched the threads here a little but not enough information.

Looking for a body shop with experience and a good reputation doing the roadster bodywork and paint located in central or southern California (between Sacramento and L.A. preferred).

Who did you use and what was your experience with them?

Thanks.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff Miller
    Miller Customs
    951-676-0191

Jeff

3. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Jeff Miller
    Miller Customs
    951-676-0191

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I've heard of him but no background or web site, can you tell me a little more about him and why you recommend him?

(edit)

OK, never mind. I have looked at more posts, he seems to be the one around here, thanks.
    Last edited by BB767; 01-23-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    There are 2 great painters in California. Both specialize in our cars. If you go to the Huntington Beach Cruise In, most of the FFR cars were painted by one of them.

Jeff Miller *(951) 676-0191‬ in Temecula
    Ken Pike (530) 671-7250 in Yuba City

Post Thanks / Like
    Miller is the man
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooooo....I would love to do your car for you and if you were to chose me I would be honored. HOWEVER ! Ken Pike aka "Street Rod Painter" Is just about in your backyard compared to me. I am in Temecula Ca. 50 miles north of San Diego and I would guess Ken is within 100 miles of your location. Ken is my mortal enemy, nemesis , the Holmes to my Moriarty (or the other way around) except for one day a year when we are best buds swilling beer on the pier in Huntington. Trying to say he is well worth your consideration...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Sooooo....I would love to do your car for you and if you were to chose me I would be honored. HOWEVER ! Ken Pike aka "Street Rod Painter" Is just about in your backyard compared to me. I am in Temecula Ca. 50 miles north of San Diego and I would guess Ken is within 100 miles of your location. Ken is my mortal enemy, nemesis , the Holmes to my Moriarty (or the other way around) except for one day a year when we are best buds swilling beer on the pier in Huntington. Trying to say he is well worth your consideration...da Bat
    Hi Jeff,

I filled out your contact form this morning.

I have been in touch with Ken. His shop and product is impressive. Knowing very little about the process I have many questions and what ifs to talk about. Since the work on these is not cheap I do not feel it is out of line to be totally informed on the options and issues before committing. Unless I call and bug him Ken does not really answer my questions. Since I value customer service almost as much as a quality product I thought I would talk to you about my car and the most important part of the finish work!

If you are available I would like to talk more via email. If you do not get my contact information off the form I sent, PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly recommend making the trip to the Huntington Beach Cruise-In this April 28, 2018.

https://www.factoryfive.com/calendar/cat_ids~37/

I typically see both Jeff Miller and Ken Pipe at the event. You can also see at least 50 roadsters painted by one of the two and talk to as many guys willing to answer your questions. Jeff Painted mine and could not be happier.

Keep in mind that Jeff and Ken spend tons of time getting our roadsters perfect and it's not always easy getting back to you right away when asking questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jeff-

Tom at Pro Tones in Napa, CA if by far one of the best painters in the State. He has been around FOREVER, specializes in CUSTOMS, and basically takes in no street work because of his reputation for quality and perfection. There are going to be a 100 options from different people on this forum... but if you're gonna have your car painted somewhere... shouldn't it be somewhere you can vacation...? PM me if you're interested and I can put you in touch personally. God Speed and God Bless sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    I highly recommend making the trip to the Huntington Beach Cruise-In this April 28, 2018.

https://www.factoryfive.com/calendar/cat_ids~37/

I typically see both Jeff Miller and Ken Pipe at the event. You can also see at least 50 roadsters painted by one of the two and talk to as many guys willing to answer your questions. Jeff Painted mine and could not be happier.

Keep in mind that Jeff and Ken spend tons of time getting our roadsters perfect and it's not always easy getting back to you right away when asking questions.
    I totally understand and am not dissing Ken. But he promised some pictures two weeks ago. I have reminded him and asked some questions in between then and now but have not heard back. I do not know if he dropped of the earth, is to busy, or just does not want to answer. Whatever it is, if my car was there and I could not contact him I would not be happy. So I thought I would explore what other options I may have. I am not burning bridges, just comparing choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don’t know Ken but Jeff Miller speaks very highly of him. I will say this about Jeff Miller. I used him, I love his work, he is a great guy and most importantly to me he was never to rushed to answere any or all of my questions. I know there are several of our folks that have traveled great distances to have his finish their cars. I know I would.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    BB767-I live near you in Elk Grove and have had great experiences with Ken Pike! He does excellent work and knows all the tricks for beautiful and lasting paint and body work on FFR vehicles. Ken painted my car in 2002 when he was still working from has home out in the countr,y and I still get compliments at shows and gatherings. There are a number of FFR roadsters in the area that he has done along with 100's in the western U.S.. IF you would like to see some of the cars around here, let me know. I has recently seen as car done by Jeff and was very well done as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR 3099 View Post
    BB767-I live near you in Elk Grove and have had great experiences with Ken Pike! He does excellent work and knows all the tricks for beautiful and lasting paint and body work on FFR vehicles. Ken painted my car in 2002 when he was still working from has home out in the countr,y and I still get compliments at shows and gatherings. There are a number of FFR roadsters in the area that he has done along with 100's in the western U.S.. IF you would like to see some of the cars around here, let me know. I has recently seen as car done by Jeff and was very well done as well.
    Thanks, that is good to know. It sounds like they both do excellent work. I will most likely go with whoever has the availability, they both seem really busy!

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents:

I have personally met Ken Pike (while dropping off and picking up a buddy's car), and have talked to Da Bat multiple times on the phone. Quality of work from both shops is IMPECCABLE! That being said, in a personality contest, Da Bat is the BOMB; Ken is about as warm as a porcupine. I got the impression from him that he had more business than he knew what to do with, and wasn't interested in soliciting any more. Jeff Miller, on the other hand, has always been warm and gracious, and isn't irritated by "dumb" questions. I used to live in the SF Bay Area and had planned to take both my '67 Mustang Fastback and my "don't have it yet" FFR to Ken, until I met him (because he is close). After my multiple discussions with Jeff, he is worth the trip, and has earned my business. Now that I live in Las Vegas, Da Bat is even more desirable. My choice is stictly on personality, not on work quality. Both of these guys turn out fantastic work, but I'd rather spend my money with the guy who actually wants my business, rather than the one who doesn't seem to care. As I said, my 2 cents.

Jeff, thanks for the discount for giving you a "shameless plug"!. LOL, just kidding! See ya in HB!!

Video

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Warm as a porcupine?? Wow...I guess I need to stop working and up my online charisma😂😂🤓🤓😎

Quote Originally Posted by videodude View Post
    My 2 cents:

I have personally met Ken Pike (while dropping off and picking up a buddy's car), and have talked to Da Bat multiple times on the phone. Quality of work from both shops is IMPECCABLE! That being said, in a personality contest, Da Bat is the BOMB; Ken is about as warm as a porcupine. I got the impression from him that he had more business than he knew what to do with, and wasn't interested in soliciting any more. Jeff Miller, on the other hand, has always been warm and gracious, and isn't irritated by "dumb" questions. I used to live in the SF Bay Area and had planned to take both my '67 Mustang Fastback and my "don't have it yet" FFR to Ken, until I met him (because he is close). After my multiple discussions with Jeff, he is worth the trip, and has earned my business. Now that I live in Las Vegas, Da Bat is even more desirable. My choice is stictly on personality, not on work quality. Both of these guys turn out fantastic work, but I'd rather spend my money with the guy who actually wants my business, rather than the one who doesn't seem to care. As I said, my 2 cents.

Jeff, thanks for the discount for giving you a "shameless plug"!. LOL, just kidding! See ya in HB!!

Video

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Awe shucks☺️ Thanks for the kudos good buddy! I guess I don’t spend enough time socializing...but get a couple beers in me and then watch out lol🤘 See you in April Mr Miller!🍺🍺

Post Thanks / Like
    up high
    Ken Pike
    aka: Street rod painter

down low
    Jeff Miller
    DAA BAAAAAAAAAAAT

2 brothers from different mothers.
    both gifted with the ability to in hail copious
    amounts of paint fumes.

Can't go wrong with either.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

19. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    then there is always kliener in the middle of the US.
    he is kinda like the little brother
    always wants to hang with the Big Boys>
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    then there is always kliener in the middle of the US.
    he is kinda like the little brother
    always wants to hang with the Big Boys>
    We don't even want to go back into what happened when I hung with Miller last year...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by streetrodpainter View Post
    Warm as a porcupine?? Wow...I guess I need to stop working and up my online charisma����������
    Sorry Ken,

Maybe I caught you on 2 bad days, but it was enough to make a lasting impression. Maybe we can kiss and make up in HB. Of course, after a few brews with Miller, there's no guarantee of anything. Both of you guys turn out spectacular product, of that there is NO question or misunderstanding. And a lot better than I can do with a rattle can, which is why I don't do body and paint work. LOL!

Video

Post Thanks / Like
    I trailered from Tucson, AZ to Yuba City to have Ken work his magic.
    I am completely satisfied with his work and him.
    He got very busy at the end of last year, it’s good to have lots of work.
    I hear great things about Jeff Miller, so that’s another good guy to use.
    I’ve seen both of their work in person and went with Ken.
    You have two great options that have done 1000’s of cobras.
    Pick one and enjoy the great work they both do.
    But as for me and my 2 cents, i’ll be buying Ken and Roberta a round of drinks in Huntington Beach while I admire my car!
    IMG_1893.JPG
    Last edited by Eespensen; 01-23-2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added a photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken sounds like a righteous dude, but - Miller is cheaper than pay per view and kept me entertained throughout the day with texts/pics when he painted my car (I shipped mine down to him from Washington State). I might of amped up his antics, but fortunately - couldn’t have asked for a better paint job on my car.

You get him going, watch out - he’ll go heel to toe with the best of them...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    BB767.....YOU ARE IN TROUBLE NOW MISTER ! just look what you started ! 1/2 hour in the corner to think about what you did ! That temp website is a mess...and yes iffin I were serious about my profession it would be awesome.....but it's not.....soooo....do the math. I have done over 650 FFR roadsters in 19 years. you are welcome to call me anytime, seriously, day or night 951-676-0191 (my wife answers if it's after 10pm and , well, nobody ever hears from them again)(darndest thing) I don't get the e-mails from the address on the site. My E- is [email protected] I hate E-mails. If I have a chance at getting into somebodys wallet I want at least one hand on their shoulder and that means we gotta talk. There is a very good reason we have a backlog of work....we are GOOD at what we do, we don't just trust anyone to push sandpaper and we take the time to do them very well. Pictures, I have a few but to be honest pictures don't show jac and I should but I don't take many . If you were to ask the guys to post pics of Kens and my work you could get a real good sampling......Ha! the difference between a porcupine and Ken are the pricks are......sorry, Porshe joke.....any who,,,,gimme a call if ya like, ya got my number. Jeff, "daBat" Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it's time to put up some pictures. Like Jeff said, pictures don't mean squat. These two look amazing in person though.

Jeff Miller painted both of these. Cobra Brothers!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 01-24-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my two cents (or 4 cents since two have already been used in this thread). I visited Ken about a month ago at his shop after several exchanges of emails. I live in Petaluma, CA which is 100 miles or so from Yuba City. He spent about an hour with me, answered every question I had, showed me around and walked me through several of the cars he had in process. He didn't rush and I felt like he would have spent another hour if I needed it. Mine is a 289 FIA and Ken was very aware of the subtle differences between this and the Mk IV. I will have him paint my car, hopefully, within the next few months. I don't know Jeff but certainly, like Ken, his reputation precedes him. As many have said, you probably cannot go wrong with either. I just wanted to share my positive interaction and experience with Ken. Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

BB767.....YOU ARE IN TROUBLE NOW MISTER ! just look what you started ! 1/2 hour in the corner to think about what you did ! That temp website is a mess...and yes iffin I were serious about my profession it would be awesome.....but it's not.....soooo....do the math. I have done over 650 FFR roadsters in 19 years. you are welcome to call me anytime, seriously, day or night 951-676-0191 (my wife answers if it's after 10pm and , well, nobody ever hears from them again)(darndest thing) I don't get the e-mails from the address on the site. My E- is [email protected] I hate E-mails. If I have a chance at getting into somebodys wallet I want at least one hand on their shoulder and that means we gotta talk. There is a very good reason we have a backlog of work....we are GOOD at what we do, we don't just trust anyone to push sandpaper and we take the time to do them very well. Pictures, I have a few but to be honest pictures don't show jac and I should but I don't take many . If you were to ask the guys to post pics of Kens and my work you could get a real good sampling......Ha! the difference between a porcupine and Ken are the pricks are......sorry, Porshe joke.....any who,,,,gimme a call if ya like, ya got my number. Jeff, "daBat" Miller
    Well, the pot needs a good stirring now and then! It is great to hear all the stories and get more input. Look, video and street are now good buds! But as you can see Ken is back with the living, we have talked, and I will most likely still be going up there. Although it would be cool to say my car was painted by da Bat it sounds like the other guy may be sharper.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to imagine that anyone who spent any amount of time on this forum wouldn't have heard of the best three cobra painters in the country. Although the #1 guy is a long haul all the way to the middle of the country, you still have a couple fair guys out west.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Well, the pot needs a good stirring now and then! It is great to hear all the stories and get more input. Look, video and street are now good buds! But as you can see Ken is back with the living, we have talked, and I will most likely still be going up there. Although it would be cool to say my car was painted by da Bat it sounds like the other guy may be sharper.........
    Maybe the best advise would be to make the trip down to Huntington Beach, and meet with BOTH Street Rod Painter and Da Bat in person. I know that I owe Ken a cold one, and Miller will talk me out of one or two. Seriously, you will see lots of cars that have been painted by both of these professionals, and will have an opportunity to talk to the owners, and their painters. From my perspective, it's money well spent for the trip. Deep breath now, everyone say "Koombaya!". Or at least, "Barkeep, my glass is empty" . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    "the other guy may be sharper"...SHARPER ! F-IN SHARPER !!!! I'm tellin my mom !!! YOU.......ARE.....OUTTA THE CAR MISTER !!! good luck (YOU'LL NEED IT) HA ! ......sharper.......(can you believe this shiz) (he thinks the other guy is sharper ) I gotcher "sharp" right here mister....buy me a beer at Huntington.....or I'll buy you one and you can owe me and we'll call it even....wait, what, K, now I'm lost......again !! ok, he's right, the other guy is sharper...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    "the other guy may be sharper"...SHARPER ! F-IN SHARPER !!!! I'm tellin my mom !!! YOU.......ARE.....OUTTA THE CAR MISTER !!! good luck (YOU'LL NEED IT) HA ! ......sharper.......(can you believe this shiz) (he thinks the other guy is sharper ) I gotcher "sharp" right here mister....buy me a beer at Huntington.....or I'll buy you one and you can owe me and we'll call it even....wait, what, K, now I'm lost......again !! ok, he's right, the other guy is sharper...da Bat
    Now you sound mad! You did get the porcupine pun, right? I've gotta have a beer with you sometime mister! If there are any left that is, how many have you had? Or are you always like this? Is that what the da Bat(ty) refers to? Oh the confusion.........

Post Thanks / Like
    All joking aside (well, most...), I can't say enough about Da Bat. Without his advice and guidance, I would not have finished my MK4. I helped a friend tow his MK4 to Jeff's shop in Temecula and when we got there Jeff dropped what he was doing to spend a couple hours detailing not only what he does to get the beautiful paint, but also HOW he does it and what products he uses! He also was good enough to respond to my questions on this and the other forum when I ran into a snag or two! So he is not only one of the best, he is willing to share his knowledge with hackers like me. Just don't call after 10PM!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    I guess it's time to put up some pictures. Like Jeff said, pictures don't mean squat. These two look amazing in person though.
    Pictures don't mean squat!!! That's why I'm posting a picture of Da Bat and Kleiner with Dave Smith!!!
    Put those two in the same room and look out! Put Da Bat and Ken Pike in the same room, you really need to look out! If we get all three of them at Huntington Beach 2018....Ohhh, my!

[IMG][/IMG]

Da Bat got one instruction from me, "Make that paint POP!" You can judge:

[IMG][/IMG]

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    These pics are incredible! Whats that blue called, Bob-STL?

As a soon-to-be-Mk4-orderer I think I may need to make that trip down to HB this April!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wineguy View Post
    ... Whats that blue called, Bob-STL?...
    I'm well acquainted with the answer to this question. Let's just say that it should be called "Kept Bob lying awake for weeks pondering his decision blue"

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I could tell you but I just got off "Double Secret Probation".......FOOD FIGHT !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If only I could get mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can I get an old of Jeff Kleiner? I’m in Ohio and want to talk about paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuchegno567 View Post
    How can I get an old of Jeff Kleiner? I’m in Ohio and want to talk about paint.
    Have you tried to send Jeff a PM?

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"