Thread: 818 Divorce or Separation

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Carpet webbing? where did you get it?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    instabind @ Amazon and Weldwood HHR Cement. Spray 3m 77 or 90 will not hold it in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to say that the Instabind is a great option for the Gap between the door shell and the door panel. I could not make the FFR piece fit and still close the door. You need to trim the white interior cord back about 1/2 and make a point on it and then close the binding on top of it to make a smooth transition to the full cord profile. It will then stick to the interior of the door skin.

Another product is the insulation I found from a roofing job. It is about 1/4 the cost of Dynamat and does the same job. Easy to cut and sticks well. Also much less than the Package FFR offers.

Finally the SD20. I saw the Ford GT Crew at IMSA / VIR using it all over the car. I asked about it and he just handed one to me. I cleans brake dust, adhesive residue, everything on the paint with no paint issues. But, this is my experience and Fords! Beats Goof Off / 3M adhesive remover, Gunk, Glass Wizard stuff ! Test it first! Always.

Slide1.JPG

4. Thanks frankc5r thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Huselton View Post
    Forgot to say that the Instabind is a great option for the Gap between the door shell and the door panel. I could not make the FFR piece fit and still close the door. You need to trim the white interior cord back about 1/2 and make a point on it and then close the binding on top of it to make a smooth transition to the full cord profile. It will then stick to the interior of the door skin.

Another product is the insulation I found from a roofing job. It is about 1/4 the cost of Dynamat and does the same job. Easy to cut and sticks well. Also much less than the Package FFR offers.

Finally the SD20. I saw the Ford GT Crew at IMSA / VIR using it all over the car. I asked about it and he just handed one to me. I cleans brake dust, adhesive residue, everything on the paint with no paint issues. But, this is my experience and Fords! Beats Goof Off / 3M adhesive remover, Gunk, Glass Wizard stuff ! Test it first! Always.

Slide1.JPG
    You should link this to the" tips" sticky

Post Thanks / Like
    Have been "Speed Dating" this last month to get the OEM interior assembled, Front fenders on, Hood on, and Doors reconfigured to accept the wider Dash. I really messed up my original 2002 dash. Wayne saved me with a complete 2006 takeout and with much help from this site got it cut and pasted to fit. Will send picks after I get the AIM Dash and lower panels in place. Making a 3" recess in the door panels is the most complex part.

Final Paint on and trying to keep the overall "Look" clean and simple.
    Slide1.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    Slide3.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I really need to see the door cutouts... my OEM dash is really messed up and wish I didn't chop it up...
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 10-23-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go back to my page one to see the structure behind the door panels and how I had to cut things to make them work. Once you get them all cut .."Right" it goes together and look non - kit like. It does take a lot of time and re - re - assembly with minor adjustments so you do not over cook the parts and then have to start over again. I did kill my original dash!

Hope this helps.

Slide1.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    Slide3.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks amazing... What did you do to get the front of the dash to mate up to the windshield surround? Also can you take a measurement from your 1st photo... from the back edge of the door to the very front edge of the cutout where the front of cutout starts. I'm trying to see if how much meat is left on the doors since I have a coupe. I need to consider the window cutouts...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go.

Slide1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks BC! Looks like you might be running AC in there? Or whats under the dash where the passenger airbag would go. Also do you have any pictures of your mounts for the dash. I would like to compare how you mounted your to the way I did it.

Post Thanks / Like
    No AC. What you see is the Blower housing for the Heater Defroster. That all gets covered with the Glove box segment. Easy access with just 4 screws.

To see my support structure, go back to page 1 here and scroll down and you will see what I did to attack it to the dash cross rail and then on to the center tunnel.

If you can't find it, e-mail me and I will send you my slides = [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Things were going along pretty well (Post Separation) and then the "P" word came up! "Paint"...she wants a fresh Clear Coat. Has some original nibs and bugs that are too deep to spot finish in the Black. So I scuffed it down with 800 and shot PPG's new clear. With a new DIY Booth and some great temps outside, I got it to lay down pretty well. I am not DaBat, but it is really smooth this time. Finished it with 3M 5000 then polish and she is happy again.

Also, finished stitching on the OEM dash to match the Sparco seats. Got an 86 Dash from Wayne and after several attempts, built the doors to fit. Makes a big difference...not kit looking with an OEM dash. It can be done!

Slide1.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    Slide5.JPG

14. Likes AZPete, lsfourwheeler, Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    forgot to mention. Adding a side jack port is a life saver.

Slide1.JPG

16. Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great BC, it was an 06 dash though :-)
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work. I'm glad you reconciled.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Looks great BC, it was an 06 dash though :-)
    But it makes me wonder how a BRZ/Toyota 86 Dash would fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any more detail/close-up pictures of those side jack points would be very interesting! Is the CG of the car located that far back?

Looks great!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a Class II Receiver welded into this spot because of its Structural location not CG. It will lift the rear a little earlier that the front, but it gets the entire side up.
    I have a square black rubber plug that fits into the opening. This along with the front and rear structural tow hooks has proven invaluable. I could not find any way to hook into the front end in order to get it up onto a tow truck or onto my trailer. It is a good structural addition to address before securing the body to the chassis..if you are planning ahead. IMO

Jack Port.jpg

22. Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very lucky to be close to a Subaru Only Shop about 20 miles away in Sanford, NC. Called Turbo Time and Ryan Davis a Cobb Gold Pro tuner. Over the winter we did a number of comparable Cobb Loging sessions using Tial variable Waste Gate Springs and BOV to atmosphere and recirculating. The recirculating BOV made a significant difference in drivability, correcting a sight rich stall conditions between shifts and when coming to a quick stop. And, the Tial variable waste gate made the turbo come on in a far more linear way. The car was so quick, it would want to totally spin up the wheels, and the Tial has leveled out the torque application causing it to be much more fun and controlled to drive. I basically have a target boost control for 1st, 2nd, and then all in available for 3rd through 6th. Makes the entire driving experience far more enjoyable yet still amazing power from 7 to 18 Boost. Easy on the engine too. I have multiple maps for each driving target...Day Driver to Full out Track Day.

Here is the new intake plumbing:
    Slide1.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    Slide4.JPG

24. Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a Class II Receiver welded into this spot because of its Structural location not CG. It will lift the rear a little earlier that the front, but it gets the entire side up.
    I have a square black rubber plug that fits into the opening. This along with the front and rear structural tow hooks has proven invaluable. I could not find any way to hook into the front end in order to get it up onto a tow truck or onto my trailer. It is a good structural addition to address before securing the body to the chassis..if you are planning ahead. IMO

Jack Port.jpg
    Thanks for that. I had nearly forgotten about tow points. Adding that to my pre-paint to-do list.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Separation

I am very lucky to be close to a Subaru Only Shop about 20 miles away in Sanford, NC. Called Turbo Time and Ryan Davis a Cobb Gold Pro tuner. Over the winter we did a number of comparable Cobb Loging sessions using Tial variable Waste Gate Springs and BOV to atmosphere and recirculating. The recirculating BOV made a significant difference in drivability, correcting a sight rich stall conditions between shifts and when coming to a quick stop. And, the Tial variable waste gate made the turbo come on in a far more linear way. The car was so quick, it would want to totally spin up the wheels, and the Tial has leveled out the torque application causing it to be much more fun and controlled to drive. I basically have a target boost control for 1st, 2nd, and then all in available for 3rd through 6th. Makes the entire driving experience far more enjoyable yet still amazing power from 7 to 18 Boost. Easy on the engine too. I have multiple maps for each driving target...Day Driver to Full out Track Day.

Here is the new intake plumbing:
    Slide1.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    Happy Separation: Loaded up for final Dyno Tune, and then to Market. I need to make room for a new project with the Grand Kids. As with each project, I have learned a lot. Not only about the product, but my own ability to sustain the energy to actually deal with all the "Strange Things" that reveal themselves during the build. The dedicated people in this Community are amazing in their commitment to Help each other. My many thanks to all of you and especially Wayne who seems to "Never Give Up" on anyone! Really!

Final Pictures:
    Slide1.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    Slide6.JPG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12