Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: max height / weight for a driver

Post Thanks / Like

max height / weight for a driver

I'm thinking 818c, we're in the Pacific Northwest... It rains too much to not have a hard top.

However I'm a big guy, 6'3 and fairly heavy.

Am I going to be able to modify this to make myself fit? I'm fine with obtaining different seating options / modifying + a bit of light fabrication to make the driver side roomier.

It'll be a street car / not a track car, but I'll definitely experiment a bit on the track, not primary purpose though.

Thanks!

PS: Has anyone built an electric version?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3" tall and 240 lbs. The C compared to the S was a tight fit for me. The Kirkey seats gave me the most room in the S. Several have done a 818E. Here is my build thread on one I did for a customer.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...E-build-thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What part of the Pacific NW are you in? I have a completed S, registered body work ongoing, in the Portland area you are welcome to come see (although it's on jack stands for the winter). There was a C on the delivery truck when I got my car and I don't see how I could have gotten in and out of it without crawling. I'm 6'5 and 210ish. Without a top it's not bad to get in and out of an S, I was actually pleasantly surprised.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'3", 250 lbs, with 31" inseam and have built an 818C. It's not easy getting in and out, but once I'm in, it's okay. There's 4K on the odometer and I drove it 800 miles round-trip to the FFR Huntington Beach Show last April, comfortably. Sure, getting into a topless car is easier, but the door hinges make all the difference. What I mean is that in the FFR Roadster I built there was no way to add a top because the door hinges are at the driver's knee, thus you cannot swing your legs in or out while seated. The only way in or out of the Roadster, for tall guys, is to put your feet in first, then your butt, which means no top is possible.

In the 818, the door hinges are further forward, slightly above the driver's ankle - a BIG difference! To get into my 818C I lean over and put my butt in the driver's seat, then bend my right leg up to get my foot in, then the left leg up and in. Getting out is the reverse with left leg out, right leg out, shoulders out, then butt out. Plus, I have cut-down leather-upholstered WRX seats that are thicker than Kirkey seats so you could make even more head room and foot room with thinner/lower seats.

Better yet, fly down here to Scottsdale, come try on my 818C, and let the 75-degree sun cure your Northwest mildew as you sip a few margaritas.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Margaritas? I just invited myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome, thanks for all the great replies!

Based on the descriptions I don't think an 818c is gonna work for me, too big as opposed to too tall.

I'll definitely be looking up AZPete and Wallace18 when I pass through Scottsdale / Portland.

We're planning a trip to Disneyland next year, so hopefully the invitations will still be valid in that timeframe.

My timeframe for this kind of build is in the next 3-4 years. I'm in no rush

(I also may need to lose 50lbs, which takes time)

I may end up aiming for an 818s and getting the button on roof. Need to do more research.

I'm also interested to see what the height / driver clearance on the GTM / Type 65 / Roadster is like
    Last edited by gary_lucas; 01-25-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, my 818R will be available to rent at Oregon Raceway Park as soon as the season starts. It's set up for Big Boys. There will be a new post soon in my build thread with the cage mods we've made to make it safe and fit well for the PNW Sasquatch drivers. You can also rent a Subaru STI race car, Corvete Z06, and Palatov D4 to compare the cars. However to fit down thru the bars in the Palatov D4 you need to be on the thinner side, max chest of 43".

I can also bring it to PIR, Pacific, Spokane, Thunderhill, Sonoma or the The Ridge for an extra travel fee. It's more cost effective all around if you come to ORP, and if you've never driven there it's a real treat!

No better way to decide if you want to build one these than to drive one for a day at the track.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Gary, my 818R will be available to rent at Oregon Raceway Park as soon as the season starts. It's set up for Big Boys. There will be a new post soon in my build thread with the cage mods we've made to make it safe and fit well for the PNW Sasquatch drivers. You can also rent a Subaru STI race car, Corvete Z06, and Palatov D4 to compare the cars. However to fit down thru the bars in the Palatov D4 you need to be on the thinner side, max chest of 43".

I can also bring it to PIR, Pacific, Spokane, Thunderhill, Sonoma or the The Ridge for an extra travel fee. It's more cost effective all around if you come to ORP, and if you've never driven there it's a real treat!

No better way to decide if you want to build one these than to drive one for a day at the track.
    That sounds like a great idea!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I am 6'3" tall and 240 lbs. The C compared to the S was a tight fit for me. The Kirkey seats gave me the most room in the S. Several have done a 818E. Here is my build thread on one I did for a customer.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...E-build-thread
    Just peeking through the e-build thread while I _should_ be working.

Great read!