Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Boyd Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd Tank

Is the Boyd Tank everybody refers to the optional FFR tank? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-boss View Post
    Is the Boyd Tank everybody refers to the optional FFR tank? Thanks
    The "Boyd" tank is a replacement for the FFR tank produced and sold by Boyd's Welding.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, thank you so no reason to buy the upgraded tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boss,

Some might argue that point. Some say that the stock tank is not worth the money and you would be upgrading the tank later anyway. Others say that the factory tank is acceptable with a couple small modifications.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, thank you so no reason to buy the upgraded tank.
    Well, that's debatable. Read through threads here and many have used the Boyd instead. The FFR tank has had issues in the past, and continues to have a bottom fill rather than a top fill that some report makes for very slow filling past half way. At the same time, I am still using the FFR one, as are others (but I'm not driving yet)
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the Boyd site- they have it together.... That is probably how I am going to go but what about capacity? Is 13 gal enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is 13 gal enough?

Well, with the space available there is not room for much more. I guess it also depends on how far you want to go on a single tank of gas. If you are wound tight and only get 15 MPG you get the perfect range of just about 200 miles. If you don't wind up so much and have a low highway RPM you might get further. Twenty MPG will give you 260 miles and that is not bad range. I don't know where you live or what is around you but from Dallas to Oklahoma City it is about a 190 mile trip. That would be a single tank of gas and for me that is not a bad trip at all.

From what I understand, by the time you get to 200 or 250 miles in the car you will be ready to get out and stretch a bit, might as well get gas while you are at it.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I wish I hadn't read this.. having just done a 16hr roadtrip in a little hyundai that gave 420 miles per fill, now I want more volume. My GTD40 had the luxury of two big sill tanks, but then, it was built as a 24hr endurance car. Putting this thread on my 'ideas to ponder' list.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like

alternative fuel tank design

FWIW, I wasn't happy with the stock tank design and location - mounted high and takes away significant trunk space. I designed twin "saddlebag" tanks that mount behind the seats and under the trunk. Dave Boyd built them for me and did a brilliant job for a fair price! Now I've got 15+ gallon capacity and expect 22-24 MPG from my Coyote engine / auto trans setup = 300+ miles per fill up. (I covered the tanks with blue painter's tape so they wouldn't get scratched during installation.) Keith
    Tanks as received.jpgTanks installed.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice Keith!
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Progmgr1;

It's not obvious to me how the fuel level between both tanks will be maintained. Perhaps a hose from tank to tank located at the bottoms?

I like this idea a lot!

Bryon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    FWIW, I wasn't happy with the stock tank design and location - mounted high and takes away significant trunk space. Keith
    Now if you add the Mazda 3 trunk hinges and ditch the FF hoops you will have even more useable trunk space.
    Boyd did a nice job on those ;>)
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there is a 3/8" NPT fitting (with a blue plug installed) in the bottom outside corner of each tank. I'll have a transfer line running in a steel channel connecting the two tanks at their lowest points. Still working on the details of that part...
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Put both upper and lower tanks in and have more gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those tanks look fantastic.....Great idea.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! So I was trying to put my head around how these fit. Did you modify the frame or is the IRS frame inherently different than the standard frame that there are these pockets to put the tanks without mods?

Post Thanks / Like
    While I like the looks of the tanks and the extra space in the trunk I don't think that an additional two gallons of gas is going to significant. At your best expectation of 24mpg you will gain an extra 48 miles on your trip and that is not much when thinking about a long trip. Now if you did what Tom said, and put both the upper and lower tanks in place that would give you 28 gallons and your trip now goes out to ~670 miles. Thats a trip. But you do lose the extra trunk space and I think that would be worth more on a long trip than having to stop for gas more often.

But seriously, for you guys that already have your car running... How long of a trip do you take before you want to get out and walk around a bit to get the blood flowing again?
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, I wasn't happy with the stock tank design and location - mounted high and takes away significant trunk space. I designed twin "saddlebag" tanks that mount behind the seats and under the trunk. Dave Boyd built them for me and did a brilliant job for a fair price! Now I've got 15+ gallon capacity and expect 22-24 MPG from my Coyote engine / auto trans setup = 300+ miles per fill up. (I covered the tanks with blue painter's tape so they wouldn't get scratched during installation.) Keith
    Ohh... I REALLY like this idea! Much better packaging, a useable trunk, and lower CoG is always good! I wonder if I could call up Boyds and ask "make me a set too!" I'm sure they made patterns. I do wonder about the frame differences between the IRS, 4-link, and 3-link. The more I look at that pic, I think it would require an IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Now if you add the Mazda 3 trunk hinges and ditch the FF hoops you will have even more useable trunk space.
    After a quick image search for "mazda3 trunk hinge" I'm very intrigued. Is there info somewhere of someone using these on the FFR33?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Ohh... I REALLY like this idea! Much better packaging, a useable trunk, and lower CoG is always good! I wonder if I could call up Boyds and ask "make me a set too!" I'm sure they made patterns. I do wonder about the frame differences between the IRS, 4-link, and 3-link. The more I look at that pic, I think it would require an IRS.
    After a quick image search for "mazda3 trunk hinge" I'm very intrigued. Is there info somewhere of someone using these on the FFR33?
    Boyd makes their tanks from digital drawings/ images so they should be able to make another copy no problem.
    I did a custom with them but mine is behind the rear axle and down low for CofG and traction issues along with the extra trunk space.
    Narrow your search to trunk hinges and you will see the pics in my album. There have been a couple others that have used various copies of my design.
    HTH
    Dale
    Last edited by myjones; 01-29-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice tanks! Good example of what IRS and different exhaust routing can do. Hmm maybe the truck could use something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    Awesome! So I was trying to put my head around how these fit. Did you modify the frame or is the IRS frame inherently different than the standard frame that there are these pockets to put the tanks without mods?
    I had to remove 2- 1/2" square tube diagonal braces that ran through those pockets. Will be adding some corner gussets to regain the resistance to the frame "racking", although that's probably not really necessary. I just tend toward overkill when it comes to this kind of issue.

I'm not familiar with the standard chassis, but I would guess that there are suspension pieces that run through that area (lower control arms?). Also, the FFR rear exhaust tubes arch up through the pockets and over the diff. I put tunnels in the lower inside corner of both tanks and will run the exhaust pipes down below, close under the diff. That can probably only be done with the IRS, since the center section barely moves. Of course, it's not an issue if you go with the side exhaust.

If anyone is interested in this design, PM me your email address and I'll send you copies of the drawings I sent to Boyd.

And yes, I bought the Mazda 3 hinges off EBay and will be making a trunk lid frame like Dale's to attach them. (One of his many ideas I have "borrowed"!)

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there is a 3/8" NPT fitting (with a blue plug installed) in the bottom outside corner of each tank. I'll have a transfer line running in a steel channel connecting the two tanks at their lowest points. Still working on the details of that part...
    Keith
    FWIW, something I liked when I had 2 or 3 tanks, was having separate electric pumps on each lower tank. I had a switch that would run left pump, right pump, or both pumps at once (when racing). On the car that had a 3rd tank it was up high and fed both lowers. On the street I just used one pump at a time, which gave me a "reserve" tank on the other side. It also meant I had a backup pump built in if one broke. Oh and if both switches were off, a thief would only get a little way before the engine died I added twin fuel pressure gauges too. Lots of fun can be had with two or more tanks!
    James