Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: body work???

Post Thanks / Like

body work???

I have completed the MK4 build... and I am looking at the coupe... I did all the body work myself for the mk4, having never done body work before. It turned out awesome... Now for the loaded question..

How difficult if the body work for the 3rd gen coupe, with gaping everything and lining it all up compared to the MK4? It took me a while for the MK4, but I started to get the hang of it. The only way I can afford to build the coupe is to do the body work myself again.... which wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.
    Last edited by awd-turbo; 01-24-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think you answered your own question. If you got it done on the mk4 it’s not that different on the coupe.
    I’d say go for it. The new coupe is dimensionally a lot better and should be easier on the body work then the gen 2.

Good luck,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did the body work on my MK 1.5 Roadster, and my Gen1 coupe(body and paint). From what I have seen and read, the Gen3 coupe is so far above the quality of the previous versions, I would not hesitate to do it again.
    As John said, go for it.
    Good Luck as well,
    Rob
    FFR #2296 428 FE, TKO, IRS. Sold 6/2006
    FFR #0189CP Completed 6/2015 331, 3-Link TR3550, FAST EZ EI
    1946 Mercury Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Like you I did my body work on my Cobra first. Then when I got my coupe the body work went so much smoother and faster. In fact my Dad and I did all the coupe body work and paint start to finish in 8 days. The process is the same for the coupe as it was for the cobra.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing your Mk4 you are more than welcome to practice on my Gen 3 Coupe body! Nothing like a hands on take to see if you want to do it for yourself
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Thanks for the kind words.... I am going to start to make a move towards the gen 3 coupe I think.... unless someone wants to let me build one for them! hahahaha I need a big project to take my mind off of a crappy situation I am going through!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    ^^ Thanks for the kind words.... I am going to start to make a move towards the gen 3 coupe I think.... unless someone wants to let me build one for them! hahahaha I need a big project to take my mind off of a crappy situation I am going through!
    If you were near me I'd tell you to come on over and you could help me build mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    I am going to start to make a move towards the gen 3 coupe I think....
    Does that mean you're not coming and I have to do my own bodywork? *sniffle*
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder