Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Episode 1: Solid Car Guys

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Episode 1: Solid Car Guys

This past fall, we were asked to participate in the season finale of the popular Discovery Channel show “Fast N’ Loud.” The episode was fun to be a part of, but the experience proved much of what I have learned and suspected about “reality TV.” Over the past few years, we have worked with a production company and dealt with Discovery and another network to develop a show. We actually produced and filmed episode 1, but were unable to reach an agreement. My own personal feelings are that the outrageous gets the attention, whether its rude sports figures or garage shows that depict guys throwing parts along with f-bombs. Maybe we will reach an agreement with a network, but if we do, it will be to highlight the amazing stories that I have been witness to. In the meantime, my experience with “Fast N’ Loud” convinced me to release our version of what reality TV could be. It’s based on real heroes, real talent, and using the cars we build to make a difference. The story of Factory Five is the story of our customers who do amazing things and build remarkable stories along with their car builds. Here’s one.

In episode 1 of Factory Five’s “Solid Car Guys,” Scott Hespeler builds a 392 hemi-powered Factory Five Hot Rod with his family while facing great adversity. I hope you like what we produced, and all of it is real, not “reality.” I am working with the producers on episode 2, and we have not picked a story, so if you have one, send me an e-mail with a brief note.

Huge thanks to Cesar and Jason and their team at The Stealth Crew for producing an honest and beautiful story.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great story put together in a very special way! WOW!

Thank you for putting this together. I like this reality over all the others I have seen; well done!

And perhaps most importantly, thank you for making stories like this possible.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, Dave, great story. And one of so many I can think of off the top of my head. What a great idea to put some of those community stories out there. There's too much negativity in this world and it's just so cool that some of the heartwarming stories I've read about on the forum might get to seen by a wider audience.

Here's hoping the some network out there "get's it". Great Job Brother.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, Just finished watching story and I am very impressed with the production. Bless the Hespelers during their trying time, and nice work with the whole effort. THIS is reality TV, not the drivel that's on now. Well done, Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave, for a great story and great cars! Hope to see you there this year.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well done.
    Mike

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    What an awesome job! Inspiring on many levels. Back when Don sent me pictures of that 392 all mocked up, my first thought was that I'm not the only crazy one! His timing was right on and I made some "adjustments" in my build. I am so glad Scott got to row through the gears on that build. I like to say its cool to build the car you dreamed of in high school, but its even better to build one with your son (or daughter) when they're in high school.
    Wow, I cant even finish this.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, what a great idea. Inspirational story and outstanding production -- hope to watch more of these. It's way better than that rigged episode of Fast & Loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job and an amazing story.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, what a great story. All these cars have a human story surrounding them. A week after I ordered my roadster my 31 year old daughter had a stroke. Needless to say that puts the car on the back burner. Thankfully she's had a remarkable recovery so much so that you would never know she ever had one. I know GoDadGo has an incredible story with his car and there are many more like him. Great job!
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another job well done Dave. I'm glad to hear your views on reality TV. The last thing you want is to lose control of your image and reputation. Keep making these spots the way you want and keep telling the FFR story they way you want it told. Youtube will provide the audience.

I personally would be disappointed if we started seeing FFR and Dave Smith on the Discovery/Velocity channel tearing a strip off his employees and screaming "WOOHOO" with every sale. Who wants to do business with folks like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done. That's a reality show that I would watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Dave, simply well done!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see more of that kind of reality shows. We need that kind of inspiring team work. We need to dream more. We need to occasionally get over our head in a project that challenges us. We need to occasionally take a little more risk.

I've followed factory five from the beginning and have been a customer since 2002. I've seen FFR addressing the problems that have come up over the years with integrity that is obvious in the video.

I hope a network buys into the series. It also has a lot of appeal to the non car people like many wives. MORE MORE MORE!

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure there is a story like this one connected to every FFR kit that has been built.
    That is one hell of a track record I don't think any other company will ever come close to.
    Thanks Dave for letting me join the family.

John Tongish, and his family
    Last edited by John Tongish; 01-24-2018 at 09:54 PM.
    I can't believe I built it, and it runs!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

Thanks For Creating Factory Five & Being The Father Of This Eclectic Family!
    What a fine example of what is really important in life.
    This family shows what life is all about.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Man ... I love being a Factory Five owner! You guys make dreams a reality and I'm glad he was able to see his before leaving! Great stuff, hope to see more and I'll keep saving for that Coupe to park next to the Roadster!
    Last edited by JKolbfleisch; 01-24-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a wonderful tribute. Thank you Dave for making the time and committing to showing that a great story can be told without the usual reality show BS. Nice job.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent show! That's the kind of show REAL car guys like to watch. I used to watch Orange County Choppers when it first came out as they would do charity builds and it was neat to see the craftsmanship that went into each bike. It didn't take long for them to ruin the show with all the drama in the shop and I just got tired of it. If you could package shows like the one you just did you would crush the other car shows on TV! Good luck and keep them coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Tongish View Post
    I am sure there is a story like this one connected to every FFR kit that has been built.
    That is one hell of a track record I don't think any other company will ever come close to.
    Thanks Dave for letting me join the family.
    I think John's words sum it up perfectly. My father and I built FFR3739K as a father/son project back in 2002-03 and it has been become part of our family. We've had it on a dragstrip, road course, shows, even commuted in it. My sister used it in her wedding. Countless memories.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    WoW! Not a dry eye in my house after watching the show. Truly what building a Factory Five is all about. You become family when you build one. Fantastic job!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad to hear that it did not go the route of the fast and Loud show. Down here in the Dallas Texas area Richard R. has gotten himself a reputation that is only going down hill. I heard the other day on a radio station that they will never have him back because he is so full of himself.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Great story, quality production, a beautifully unique build and $10K for charity. Wonderful start! Can’t wait for future episodes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautifully done! The video shows that the "Built" part of the "Built. Not Bought." slogan also refers to friendships and family. Like others have said, I'm proud to be a Factory Five customer, enjoy many friendships gained and hope shows like this will replace the drama car programs. What a company!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely brought tears to my eyes. Shows what people can do and the class that Factory Five has to do a production like this !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That was cool. The exhaust fumes must have gotten to me. Made my eyes water.

Thanks Dave.

Congratulations Hespeler family.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nicely done. Love the story (of course, it's a Hot Rod!) - hope to see many more of these!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Great story, looking foward to many more

Post Thanks / Like
    These projects can be a wonderful distraction during difficult times. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with a very aggressive brain cancer (Glioblastoma) right after I took delivery of my kit in 2015. I find it difficult to come up with things to talk about with someone who is terminally ill, but conversations about the build always made it easy to talk to Ron.

He beat expectations for many months, but he started to get progressively worse starting late summer of last year. That motivated me to go ahead and get the car titled in gel coat in a MVP 'minimum viable product' state last August. I was able to take him on several rides before he deteriorated to the point that he is now stuck in bed and can't get any coherent words out. He can understand me, I just can't understand him.

I now have over 600 miles on my 20th Anniversary build, most of which are giving him rides or going to visit him (we took one cruise of over 100 miles where he took me through his favorite Harley trails). I can't give him rides anymore but I make sure he can hear me when I show up for a visit! I'll get back on the build sometime after he's gone but for now it's earmarked for Ron visits.

Here are a couple of links to his story:
    https://www.caringbridge.org/public/ronclanton
    https://www.gofundme.com/tygrger8

I have since thought it would be cool to have a charity that would always have a build going on so that terminally ill patients could come and participate in the building process and maybe go for rides in the finished products. At the end of the builds, the cars could be auctioned off to help fund the next build.

These projects are amazing medicine for gear heads in need of a distraction.
    Thanks Dave and the F5 Team!
    Last edited by RRussellTx; 01-25-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is awesome Dave! What a great show that would be. As you say a heartwarming story and there are many more out there.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Remarkable story Dave! We need more stories like that. There is a new group of builders out there they are taking what FFR is offering them and creating astounding cars!

All along the way it truly has been amazing the people you meet while driving these cars! Others must have had similar experiences at the gas pump. People that NEVER would considering talking to you, often"hiding" behind the pump. They just want to fill their tank and be off shopping, or on a short trip to a relative’s home. Instead they peek around the pump and are soon asking short question till you are talking about cars.
    Nothing breaks through to young kids than to pull up to the Parish in a cobra. And then, when the kids see the same person come in to talk with them you have their attention!
    It has been an incredible ride through the years and FFR made it possible! Thanks to the entire crew at FFR!

Last edited by R. Button; 01-27-2018 at 02:33 AM.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! Just Excellent!! Great story and production. Thanks!!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RRussellTx View Post
    These projects can be a wonderful distraction during difficult times. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with a very aggressive brain cancer (Glioblastoma) right after I took delivery of my kit in 2015. I find it difficult to come up with things to talk about with someone who is terminally ill, but conversations about the build always made it easy to talk to Ron.

He beat expectations for many months, but he started to get progressively worse starting late summer of last year. That motivated me to go ahead and get the car titled in gel coat in a MVP 'minimum viable product' state last August. I was able to take him on several rides before he deteriorated to the point that he is now stuck in bed and can't get any coherent words out. He can understand me, I just can't understand him.

I now have over 600 miles on my 20th Anniversary build, most of which are giving him rides or going to visit him (we took one cruise of over 100 miles where he took me through his favorite Harley trails). I can't give him rides anymore but I make sure he can hear me when I show up for a visit! I'll get back on the build sometime after he's gone but for now it's earmarked for Ron visits.

Here are a couple of links to his story:
    https://www.caringbridge.org/public/ronclanton
    https://www.gofundme.com/tygrger8

I have since thought it would be cool to have a charity that would always have a build going on so that terminally ill patients could come and participate in the building process and maybe go for rides in the finished products. At the end of the builds, the cars could be auctioned off to help fund the next build.

These projects are amazing medicine for gear heads in need of a distraction.
    Thanks Dave and the F5 Team!

I just needed to say thanks! Thanks for taking the time to share your car and story with your friend Ron. I cannot imagine the warmth he feels when you visit, and when he rides in your car. I admire the friend you are to Ron! I would write more, but frankly I am not a talented writer, and would not properly convey my feelings.

Thanks for representing these cars, the community, and friendship the way you have! Stories like this are few and far between, and I am grateful that you took the time to share it. I know Ron is grateful for your friendship. Thanks again!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the the company, its founder, and the cars it produces, this show is first-class.
    Loved it!

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Great show. Hope to see more in the future. There is no end to great stories around these cars.
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, awesome story and I love that Hot Rod!

Now I'm ready to put a 392 Hemi in my MK4, KAPOW!!!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread