Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Stay away from Fitech.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from Fitech.

Over the past 2 years My first unit burnt out. The second unit cost me $1200 to tune and was then found to be defective out of the box. The ecu was then replaced on that unit, and that ecu burnt out last week. They replaced THAT ecu under warranty and when I called to inform them that the handheld burnt out also, I was told by Brian, (The customer service manager), that THEY have gone above and beyond for me???!!! Three faulty units, months of downtime, over $1,000 in labor to have a shop try to tune a bad, brand new ecu, and they have gone above and beyond? It's a shame that I'm almost left hoping this f'n thing goes bad too, so I can throw the piece if **** in a dumpster and go buy a sniper. This company is ****!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holley FTW! Not that they don't have issues from time to time, but pretty rare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you put a carburetor on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Had Carb years agi and made the switch. I loved it while it worked, but to pretty much put the blame on me? The install was done by a shop listed on THEIR site. AndI know it wasn't an installation problem. I will NEVER buy from them again. I'm not one to ever even complain, but this just made me irate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate that kind of BS. If I go EFI in the future, I plan on trying out Edelbrock's Pro-Flo 4 system.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

6. Thanks Fman thanked for this post
    Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike! Will this saga ever end!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very happy with the Sniper, especially now that I've started to learn how to do some of the simple tuning with it. I got it to a pretty good place and have been driving it for a couple of months now and it's starting to get lean in a couple of areas I'd previously "fixed". Luckily, I know enough to be dangerous with the software now. I'll go in and reload the last good tune, but will modify the learning parameters in the areas that I'm happy with so that it won't change the learn table in those areas of the map. It's like five minutes worth of work to make these types of tweaks. It also helps that the support for the Holley is awesome! That includes the help I received on this forum as well as the Holley forum. I also have a local tuner ready to get my car on a chassis dyno to tune it professionally if I ever decide to go that route.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    i have had 3 cars with sniper units and happy with all of them only had problem with 1 unit fuel pressure regulator went bad called holley and they sent one out same day

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm another one not happy with FITech's product, though there are a lot of people who are and have never had an issue. Even so, there's a lot of potential with their products...IF they do a better job of execution, improve QC and get knowledgable tech service personnel.

In the end FITech took very good care of me, and sent me a new upgraded unit in exchange, but only after a bit of demanded escalation and getting to the right person. The techs were mostly useless. Almost as if they never turned a wrench or driven anything other than a Chevy Volt.

I'm going to try and stay with the replacement they sent hoping the first was a fluke. That is, unless it acts up again.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a fitech on a 76 corvette. It worked flawlessly on the 350. Drove it for about a year and sold the car to be able to buy my mk4. There was a few calls to tech support and they were not open on the weekends. I have heard so much better reviews for the Holley sniper so I have gone with that for my build. Hope your fitech issues work out.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have installed several FITECH units with no problems at all. Holley Sniper had issues on 1 MK4 that made me replace it with a FITECH unit. To each his own. Sorry to hear you had problems.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the EFI go 4. no issues so far, but am just in the go kart stage. fingers crossed...

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a terrible time with the FiTech on my daughter's '66 Ranchero (rebuilt stock 302). We started with a complete kit (EFI, fuel lines, in-line pump, filters, etc.). It ran ok for about 2 weeks and then I had lots of trouble. Went through 2 fuel pumps and finally decided to ditch their in-line pump for an in-tank pump. Once I got the fuel delivery worked it was fine for about a year. Now it is very hard to start, won't idle at all by itself, and smells like it's running super-rich, but the data log shows lean A/F. Something is definitely wrong with it and FiTech tech support has been no help. I don't know if the O2 sensor is bad, or the ECU has gone kaput. I'm considering replacing it with a carb or maybe a different brand EFI. Very frustrating, and I'm tired of spending money on this!

The TB hardware itself seems to be nice quality and good finish, but if the sensors and/or brains are no good/poor quality, it makes the system unusable.
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reading the replies with great interest as the engine package I have picked out includes a FiTech. If that sounds like a big risk, that completely disrupts my engine choice. I'd really hate to go back to the drawing board at this point. It's a package, and I'm not very experienced with engines, so not interested in piecing together best of breed components, or what may end up being personal preferences of what is "best". I think you'd find a few bad examples with any product. I'm hoping they are the exception, but it is concerning when you get a bad one and the replacement is bad too. I'm really glad to hear that there are also others that have not had problems with FiTech. At this point I'm crossing fingers, but still listening for other experiences before I place the engine order.

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved mine at first, easy to set up and get going and ran great - for a while. Then I had the same craptacular customer support so many others have dealt with. After a few months of periodic calls with their techs teliing me to try different things they finally RMA'd it and sure enough the ECU went bad. They did replace it free though, even though it was out of warranty. Ran great for a while again before it started running like crap, finally resolved when I went back to mechanical advance timing instead of letting the Fitech do it. Unit is running OK now, but when I take the body off for accident repairs this winter it's getting yanked in favor of an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. I have it in my Fox mustang and it runs so much better that's all I'll recommend.
    FFR7859 - graduated 5/16/16; '11 Mustang 5.0 'vert; '93 Mustang Notch; '98 F150; 4760 build website; FFR-3144 rebuild

17. Likes narly1, RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've read a fair bit about the shortfalls with their inline pumps and fuel pressure system. Great idea, horrible execution, maybe cheap China stuff? Who knows? But the resolution has always been an in-tank fuel pump and ditch the FiTech fuel line stuff. But with that said, it's obvious that many people are happy with them....just none that I know. There's a FB group of FiTech users that have a lot of experience and are very helpful. One thing that might help is to insure the tach wiring has a good connection. If you have an electronic ignition make sure the module isn't going bad. Unauthorized arcing can play havoc on the FiTech because they don't have proper shielding. Happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobradavid View Post
    I've had a terrible time with the FiTech on my daughter's '66 Ranchero (rebuilt stock 302). We started with a complete kit (EFI, fuel lines, in-line pump, filters, etc.). It ran ok for about 2 weeks and then I had lots of trouble. Went through 2 fuel pumps and finally decided to ditch their in-line pump for an in-tank pump. Once I got the fuel delivery worked it was fine for about a year. Now it is very hard to start, won't idle at all by itself, and smells like it's running super-rich, but the data log shows lean A/F. Something is definitely wrong with it and FiTech tech support has been no help. I don't know if the O2 sensor is bad, or the ECU has gone kaput. I'm considering replacing it with a carb or maybe a different brand EFI. Very frustrating, and I'm tired of spending money on this!

The TB hardware itself seems to be nice quality and good finish, but if the sensors and/or brains are no good/poor quality, it makes the system unusable.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your builder should be able to put any you want on it without issue. There may be a price difference, but swapping shouldn't be an issue. Also, check out the "Fitech EFI Users" group on FaceBook.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I've been reading the replies with great interest as the engine package I have picked out includes a FiTech. If that sounds like a big risk, that completely disrupts my engine choice. I'd really hate to go back to the drawing board at this point. It's a package, and I'm not very experienced with engines, so not interested in piecing together best of breed components, or what may end up being personal preferences of what is "best". I think you'd find a few bad examples with any product. I'm hoping they are the exception, but it is concerning when you get a bad one and the replacement is bad too. I'm really glad to hear that there are also others that have not had problems with FiTech. At this point I'm crossing fingers, but still listening for other experiences before I place the engine order.

20. Thanks Shades thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Fitech on a 67 Ford pickup. The unit runs perfectly as a stand alone. I used another brand in tank fuel system and gas tank and have no issues there. My problem is that since buying my FFR I spend most of my time working on it and the truck sits longer between drives. The Fitech sucks the battery dead. Last weekend I was going to take it for a run and the battery voltage was down to 2.3 volts. Would not even jump. There is NOTHING else, not even a radio, pulling on the battery. I was able to bring the battery back after a few days and all is good but now I leave the negative terminal disconected to keep the charge. I think the memory function in the ECU pulls too much juice while sitting. No one at Fitech is sure what keeping the battery unplugged will do to the learning / memory function.

This has kept me very alert with my Roadster but thus far the Holley Sniper system has been rock solid, no voltage drop etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Fitech 600 on my mk4, would run great for 20 minutes then would develop wide swings in afr, to the point it would not run or crank until it cooled down. Turned out there is a small rubber seal between the throttle body and map sensor that was a couple of millimeters too long that would partially collapse when the engine got warm then open up when the engine cooled off, trimmed 1 millimeter or so and runs perfectly now