FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Backup lights

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Backup lights

Has anyone out there installed a backup light in one of these roadster's? I'm wondering what kind of backup light and where they installed I don't know for sure but I think I may need one to get an inspection

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of guys have; your best bet is to check out some of the Canadian, Australian, or UK build threads (their DOT equivalent requires backup lights as a requirement for registration). In the mean time, here are some ideas: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...up-lights.html

Also, if you've got the requisite number of posts, please add some details in your signature line. That way folks will know better how to answer local registration (and build-specific) questions.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    How many posts does it take...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey John - do you have another link showing the preferred way of wiring the backup light? I've got the open/close switch in the TKO600, and seems like that would require an 'always hot' supply from my 12V busbar in the dash. Engine/trans are already installed so will be awkward if I have to fish another conductor down the rear harness convolute. Feels like maybe I'm missing an easy path.

Thanks!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scroll down to the last post on the page. The Mini Cooper backup light is a nice way to do it. And the good news is, if you need one, I think I have one we didn't use on a customer build I can let go at a discount.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...kup-light.html

MiniCooperLight.jpg_original by i.e.427, on Flickr

Frank
    Last edited by i.e.427; 01-25-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just hung an LED in the center, wired from an "ignition on" fused circuit, through the TKO-600 switch, to the light. I did it during the build and was pretty simple. Making the bracket to hold the LED was the hardest part.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    How many posts does it take...?
    You're good to go.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a pair of these from amazon...they are smoked so a little stealth looking.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4KRJ9K

My rear quick jack mounts are modified with the threaded bar mod. Really its just a set of 4 of those long ready rod joint nuts and shorter bolts. I used a piece of flat aluminum behind the body panel and mounted through the quick jack bolts. The copper you see is what I used to trial-and-error the right size before cutting the steel spacers.

As you can see, they just peek out from under the body. I'll paint the aluminum black eventually. They don't give off loads of light, but enough for other drivers to easily see I'm in reverse. Best of all, I didn't mod any of the body for these.

Last edited by skidd; 01-25-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’d be glad to but I’m a dunce and I haven’t been able to figure out how to put in the signature line or how to post any pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    initiator: Sorry; I didn't save any links to backup light wiring. I just remembered someone on the other forum asked about this topic a while back and was able to easily find the link I posted.

BabyBadger & chuckster: To add a location,

1. Click on your name (on the left next to one of your posts), then select "View Profile"
    2. Click the "About Me" tab
    3. In the first section, you'll see a box with "Location" and a pencil icon next to it. Click the pencil icon.
    4. Fill in the text box & click "Save"

Location information helps you find people to help you through the registration process, meet new friends, and find builders in your local area.

To add a signature:

1. At the very top right of the page next to Sign Out, click on "Settings"
    2. On the left side of the page, click "Edit Signature"
    3. Add pertinent information for your build, such as engine, drivetrain, EFI or carb
    4. Click "Save Signature"

These details really help the pros like CraigS, Jeff Kleiner, and edwardb get relevant information to you quickly.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Now I just have to figure out the photo thing.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    I just hung an LED in the center, wired from an "ignition on" fused circuit, through the TKO-600 switch, to the light. I did it during the build and was pretty simple. Making the bracket to hold the LED was the hardest part.
    Nice job. I like the refined look. Do you have a part number for LED light that you could share?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecobr View Post
    Nice job. I like the refined look. Do you have a part number for LED light that you could share?

Joe
    Here's the light. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's plenty bright too.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mini Cooper light on my mk ll, fits perfect and looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I avoided any body mods and added LEDs to a license plate frame. Passed inspection and works nicely.20150812_172845.jpg
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    JIMOCO, Very nice. Source for the lights and the frame? Thanks, Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 to Boat's suggestion.

I like it because you can almost hide the light from view, yet it throws plenty of light so it is unmistakable when in reverse.

Fairly easy to install, and no body work to complete. My $.02.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    How much backing up in the dark are you guys planning to do?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    How much backing up in the dark are you guys planning to do?
    Surprisingly more than I thought. Backing into my garage, it's dark. And with all those band saws, QuickJacks, old body bucks, left over box's laying around, it's tuff. (Someday, I'll have to clean up my garage.)

As a side note, when the California Brake and Light Inspector looked for the backup light, I had to point it out to him. He was impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel, I got the license plate frame and lights at pep boys.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Surprisingly more than I thought. Backing into my garage, it's dark. And with all those band saws, QuickJacks, old body bucks, left over box's laying around, it's tuff. (Someday, I'll have to clean up my garage.)

As a side note, when the California Brake and Light Inspector looked for the backup light, I had to point it out to him. He was impressed.
    I never thought about Cali requirements. Wow, what a place.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I never thought about Cali requirements. Wow, what a place.
    California does not require it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    California does not require it.
    Hmmm... Maybe not, but he specifically asked where it was on mine, and had me put the car in reverse to verify it worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm... Maybe not, but he specifically asked where it was on mine, and had me put the car in reverse to verify it worked.
    I had my inspection done last week and they never asked. So I offered to show him. He checked out and said great but not required. I didn’t think they were but like you I want to see what I’m backing into.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also don't think they are required here in Texas... But I wanted to make sure OTHER drivers knew my intentions.

Post Thanks / Like
    This from the CA vehicle code. Since my car was manufactured after 1969, I would think this qualifies. In fact, my registration show's a date of vehicle of 2017 (although for smog requirements, it is treated by the BAR as a 1965.)

Bottom line is, I'm not a lawyer, so I don't really know how to interpret these regs, but I put the light on, it's fairly well hidden, and it works.

Vehicle Code - VEH
    DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28160] ( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 2. Lighting Equipment [24250 - 26106] ( Chapter 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 3. Rear Lighting Equipment [24600 - 24617] ( Article 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, of a type subject to registration and manufactured on and after January 1, 1969, shall be equipped with one or more backup lamps either separately or in combination with another lamp. Any vehicle may be equipped with backup lamps.

(b) Backup lamps shall be so directed as to project a white light illuminating the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance not to exceed 75 feet. A backup lamp may project incidental red, amber, or white light through reflectors or lenses that are adjacent or close to, or a part of, the lamp assembly.

(c) Backup lamps shall not be lighted except when the vehicle is about to be or is backing or except in conjunction with a lighting system which activates the lights for a temporary period after the ignition system is turned off.

(d) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with a lamp emitting white light on each side near or on the rear of the vehicle which is designed to provide supplemental illumination in an area to the side and rear not lighted by the backup lamps. These lamps shall be lighted only with the backup lamps.
    Last edited by boat737; 01-29-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    Has anyone out there installed a backup light in one of these roadster's? I'm wondering what kind of backup light and where they installed I don't know for sure but I think I may need one to get an inspection
    Mass requires them, but didn't check during my pre-registration inspection. I built two LED's into the rear plate frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I'm not using the heater circuit, this should work...?

IMG_1365.JPG
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    Since I'm not using the heater circuit, this should work...?

IMG_1365.JPG
    Looks OK to me. I think that heater circuit fuse is a 20A, (maybe 30A ?) You could use something smaller, like 5A or 10A (or even less if it's an LED).

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiper circuit is 10A, I'll use that instead, thanks!
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    Wiper circuit is 10A, I'll use that instead, thanks!
    Actually, I meant to just put in a lower Amp fuse, but the other circuit works too, either way...
    Last edited by boat737; 02-01-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the light. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's plenty bright too.
    Thanks for the link - I've got one inbound.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joe,
    I used a pair of vintage style VW beetle backup lights and bumpers on my roadster, attaching them to steel angle bar that I fabricated to replace the quick jacks. The lights can be seen at http://www.jbugs.com/product/98-9622.html; they come in left and right side, with mounting brackets. these are the bumpers I used. http://www.jbugs.com/product/3173.html I think I bought them from jbugs, but there are other suppiiers out there.
    Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Was just reading through this. I noticed when I was going to order the Mini Cooper back up light it does not have the wiring coming out of the back? Did you remove the plug on the back to wire it into the roadster or is their another wire I need to purchase as well?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m planning on these for my truck, FYI

Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SPH8P2...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used LED lights.
    https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Sin...a-570994923038
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    dangnabit dude! It's a backup light not a stadium light!
    ok, I'll rate it worth a :-)
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

38. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not always about what you can see. Sometimes you want others to see you coming.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035