Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Two or Three Reservoirs

Post Thanks / Like

Two or Three Reservoirs

All,

I need to make some decisions around my hydraulic systems so I am looking for some input.

I'm installing the 12.88" Wilwood with the Wilwood pedal box. Also ordered a hydraulic clutch set-up from Mr Forte.

I would like to use individual reservoirs. Looking for some thoughts on whether I should have a separate reservoir for each system (i.e. 3) vs sharing a reservoir for the brake and a dedicated reservoir for the clutch (i.e. 2). What's the downside with the latter ?

Appreciate the input.

Mark
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with three independent reservoirs (lots of folks like the CNC remote reservoir, part #1483).

The downside to sharing a reservoir between front and back brakes is that if you have a failure in the rear brakes your front brakes are taken out too (and vice versa). US automakers stopped using single reservoir brake systems BEFORE they started installing seat belts.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the 12.88in Wilwood brakes on my Coupe and a hydraulic clutch as well with the exception of using a hydraulic throwout bearing rather than a slave cylinder setup.

I also went with three independent reservoirs in a combined Tilton unit for safety. You can get one with push on fittings or -AN connectors from the reservoir to the master cylinders.

til-72-576.jpg
    Gen 3 Coupe #68, Ordered 10/23/17, Picked up 01/06/18

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mark,
    I stock the dual or triple CNC reservoirs.
    Mike Forte: Forte's Parts Connection / Framingham, Mass. 01702 / 508 875 0016 / [email protected] / fortesparts.com / Facebook Instagram: @fortespartconnection Est: 1981 dealing performance parts to build your dream car. A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge. Developer of the early Ford & FE Tremec and Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kits, external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions. Tremec Elite, FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. I did consider the safety aspect (redundancy). I was leaning toward three independent reservoirs. Just looking for a nudge.

Mike - thanks for the heads up on your offering. I need to call you within the next couple of days (work schedule dependent), we can discuss then.

I do like the more vintage look though (i.e. separate canisters).
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    is there a minimum size reservoir required for these brakes? i have the single reservoir and the unsafe aspect is always nagging in the back of my head. I will be "upgrading" in the spring but will have to cut an access panel into the top of the footbox first..uugghh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dual brake reservoirs were mandated in 1967. Anything that goes on the road should have them.

The CNC ones are nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterAdam View Post
    is there a minimum size reservoir required for these brakes? i have the single reservoir and the unsafe aspect is always nagging in the back of my head. I will be "upgrading" in the spring but will have to cut an access panel into the top of the footbox first..uugghh.
    I could not find any requirement per se, but here's my thoughts.

The Wilwood Remote Reservoir Master Cylinders come with the same two remote reservoir options if you were to buy them direct: 7oz (small) and 10 oz (large), so one could assume that anything in that capacity range should be fine.

The actual volume displacement for each of the MCs are quite small at full stroke:

3/4" MC, front 12.88" brakes, .48 cu in or .27 fl oz
    5/8" MC, rear 12.88" brakes, .34 cu in or .18 fl oz
    13/16" MC, clutch - as recommend by Tilton, .58 cu in or .32 fl oz

For reference, the Tilton combined 3-chamber reservoir has the following capacity:
    9.8 oz front brakes
    6.3 oz rear brakes
    4.0 oz clutch

Here's an actual picture on an 8.5" x 11" sheet on my desk for scale:
    20180126_104407.jpg

Hope that helps.
    Gen 3 Coupe #68, Ordered 10/23/17, Picked up 01/06/18

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It isn't dual reservoirs that are required, most OEM cars have one reservoir that feeds the two separate sides of the master cylinder. What you have to have is separation between the two systems once the fluid is in the master cylinder so that a failure in one system allows you to still stop using the other end. Many of the OEM reservoirs have a divider on the bottom so that if the fluid level is very low and one side draws air (in case of a failure or leak) the other side will not. Having one reservoir with a tee and separate lines to each master also does this by having reserve in the line feeding each one. What you need is enough volume in the reservoir to maintain fluid as the brake pads wear down, and also more volume makes it easier to bleed the system.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

10. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I concur with Jim. The Feds mandated dual M/C starting in 1968, not just the reservoirs but dual master cylinders. That way if you have a brake line or other component fail disabling one of the systems the other will still work. I've had such a failure on a single M/C system and had to use a hand brake to stop, but not before I blew through an intersection right behind cross traffic.

I prefer separate reservoirs either a common reservoir with a wall separating the front & back or individual reservoirs. That makes it so much easier to know when one system has a leak by simply looking at the individual fluid levels. As Jim stated, a larger reservoir makes bleeding easier as you don't have to keep such a close eye on the fluid level before topping it off. However, space constraints (or style) sometimes forces a compromise on this.

No matter if you choose a common reservoir or individuals the important thing is that the fluid be separated from the air. Brake fluid will absorb moisture out of the air and water in the brake fluid will lower the boiling point and can cause internal corrosion. I've seen some custom reservoirs vented directly to atmosphere and that's a problem. It would also be a problem if there is no vent. Look for a reservoir that has a diaphragm seal that separates the fluid from atmosphere and still allows the fluid to level to expand and contract without creating a vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all. Thanks for the feedback and guidance. I'm definitely going with 3 reservoirs

I like the new version from FFR. It's larger than the previous (8.16 oz vs 5.2oz volume). It now has a vent hole and gasket/diaphragm, You can see it on the new truck (I would attached a photo but seem to be having a problem doing so). Also like the new style bracket.

Mark

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qwezxc12 View Post
    I've got the 12.88in Wilwood brakes on my Coupe and a hydraulic clutch as well with the exception of using a hydraulic throwout bearing rather than a slave cylinder setup.

I also went with three independent reservoirs in a combined Tilton unit for safety. You can get one with push on fittings or -AN connectors from the reservoir to the master cylinders.

til-72-576.jpg
    I've Got The Same Reservoir & It Works Fine!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-72-576

You can see it 10-35 seconds in to the attached video:

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

Fits With The Theme Of My Build Which Is For Form To Follow Function!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-28-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Don't You Mean Extremely Nice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Less nice but cheapest dual reservoir:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VW-BUG-GHIA-...NXbBo1&vxp=mtr

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DANW View Post
    very nice. Thanks for sharing.