Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cobra VS Daytona Coupe...?

Post Thanks / Like

Cobra VS Daytona Coupe...?

Okay so first read my signature, and then the rest...

Back? GREAT! So.... I LOVE the Cobra car, but as I looked at finances I really COULD afford to just do the coupe I wanna build. Is it worth building the Cobra for the experience, sell, then do another or am I getting in way over my head? I wouldn't mind building both! It would also free up more funds (based on what I see these Cobras going for, even on the low end) since I'm doing everything front to back with zero labor expense, with the exception of the tuning for the engine.

Anyone have experience doing both? My background was originally technician, then collision (body guy) for 5 years. Now collision management. I'm not the best, but I'm thorough and accurate and my painter is a good friend of mine.

Open to all thoughts and suggestions. I'll be ordering the kit as soon as escrow closes and our offer is accepted. Thanks in advance to every one! TGIF!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for good advice....?
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done three Roadsters and a couple months into a Gen 3 Coupe. Links in my sig line below. Obviously I can't give a complete answer because the Coupe is far from complete yet. Also my perspective is only of the Gen 3 Coupe. I've only seen the previous versions in their completed forms a few times. Never as a kit. The answer before used to be that the Coupe was a harder build than the Roadster. I'm not sure that's the case any longer because the Gen 3 Coupe is a clean sheet design and has a lot going for it. If you're thinking of a Coyote, the new Coupe is probably the better choice. It's designed from the ground up to take the wider engine. Changes made to the Roadster over the past couple years make it quite acceptable as well. But give the Coupe a little bit of an edge there. The Coupe has a bit more cockpit space and definitely a little more foot space. However, it is a little challenging to get in and out of. The new version is better than the previous one by several inches wide and high. But it's still a bit of a flexible exercise climbing in and out. An open top Roadster is much easier. A Roadster with a top would be similar however. The sills just aren't quite as wide. Very typically, a Coupe build includes heat and air conditioning. Not always the case for the Roadster. Factory Five has a solution for the new Coupe. Based on the space available and research I've done, it's probably the only choice. The space frame of the new Coupe is cool and by all accounts very strong. But it doesn't leave a lot of open space for the heat and A/C unit. The front and rear suspensions of the Roadster and new Coupe are identical. So it's a wash there. The new Coupe fiberglass body looks excellent and guys have been having pretty good luck getting them lined up. Wasn't the case before. I would put the body work probably also about even. Probably the one caution I would give is the following: The Gen 3 Coupe is still pretty new and doesn't have near the volume of the Roadster. Mine is #59 and they've been out for over a year. They're still making changes and the assembly manual I would best describe as a work in progress. Lots of great detail in some areas. Some other areas not so much. At least there is a manual! Guys with real early ones didn't even have a manual. For $20, you could buy a download copy of the Roadster Complete Kit and the Gen 3 Coupe Complete kit manuals. They're on Factory Five's website. Put them side-by-side and go through them. That would give you a much deeper dive into the two builds.

I'm not sure I'd recommend buying and building a Roadster if what you really want is a Coupe. More than likely you will find it's more work than you expect and you many not be ready to do another too soon. A nice build can be sold for an OK amount (I've sold two) but you won't get your money back out. You'll lose ground. I've been close with both of mine, but still under water a little. You might do better. You might do worse. Just depends on so many things. With your experience, and if you really want a Coupe, I'd recommend starting there.

That was all pretty random. Hope it maybe helps a little and doesn't add confusion.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-29-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    Bump for good advice....?
    I'd echo much of what edwardb just said.

I, myself, have a coupe. I was way short on skills and experience. So, I got a ton of help.

What do you want to use the car for? How and where do you intend to drive it? Are you going to hang onto it for a little while?

My choice was narrowed for me: My wife wanted a roof over her head, I had to stay out of the sun, and in St Louis it rains and gets cold. (also, I liked the lines and story of the car)

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward and Bob, thank you! The insight helps!

Edward: I totally understand and am now entering into your Coupe Build. you're right, seems like a ton of work! I've already built the roadster about 45 times in my head reading everyone's builds! I re-envision mine and change and add and delete. I'm using a donor car, but adding some power. Now I'm thinking maybe a little more power. I don't know. I feel like 350HP is so much in these cars anyway. My donor has EVERYTHING I need to complete the car, and then I can add and upgrade later. I know it's kinda of doing it twice, but I want to stick to my original budget, which has already been lifted 2 times. Hahaha... If I lift it again I may end up in Bob's predicament!

Bob: My family is front St. Louis. The Hill. My mom grew up there. My grandpa is "Fast Eddy" Moynahan. Owned a couple radio stations after earning some golden gloves (no big deal) and claims Fast Eddies is named after him. ANYWAY... The builds are daunting to read, but the more I do the more fun it seems to embark on this adventure! So I just need to decide, but I feel like given the scope of the work... doing the coupe the first time around just seems to make more sense.

Thank you for the time you spent to reply and help out. I can't wait to finally post ORDERED KIT and STARTED KIT! Hahaha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for the coupe, they are not alot out there and look awesome, if I could have afforded it I would have done the coupe over my roadster