Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ?Use of expanding foam in the doors

Post Thanks / Like

?Use of expanding foam in the doors

Somewhere I saw that some folks were using expanding foam to fill in the hollow space of the doors...this sounds like a good idea. Any reason not to do it? Anyone had any negative experiences?
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't but one of the guys in our club did. It's OK I guess. Gives a little more solid sound to the door closing. But with the proper weather stripping and door panels, I wouldn't say it's a big difference than mine where I left them hollow. If you do it, just use the low expanding variety. Have read where guys have ruined their doors using the wrong stuff.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I haven't but one of the guys in our club did. It's OK I guess. Gives a little more solid sound to the door closing. But with the proper weather stripping and door panels, I wouldn't say it's a big difference than mine where I left them hollow. If you do it, just use the low expanding variety. Have read where guys have ruined their doors using the wrong stuff.
    I share the same opinion. An owner whose car I have scheduled to do the body and paint on in a few months did his and I honestly can't tell any difference. I cautioned him about overfilling and advised him to make a few 2" or so holes on the inside which will get covered by door panels so that it could escape rather than swelling the doors.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned above, the expanding of the doors to the point of splitting the inner and outer halves is the biggest concern. Use low expanding type ONLY! Holes for expansion are the secret (to NOT splitting the doors), as Jeff mentioned . . .
    Sound deadening doesn't always equal proper alignment to the door opening and solidly mounted door panels.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used low expansion foam in my doors and if I had the choice I would not do it again. In my opinion, the work involved and the chances of something going wrong out weigh any benefit. The doors didn't sound much different when closing.

HTH
    Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Somewhere I saw that some folks were using expanding foam to fill in the hollow space of the doors...this sounds like a good idea. Any reason not to do it? Anyone had any negative experiences?
    I guess I'll ask, WHY?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used some purpose designed low expansion foam in my doors. I put a couple blobs in a couple spots inside between the steel inside the door and the skin. I didn’t try to fill the door by any means. I notice the difference in the sound as you latch the door. Just sounds more solid. I used it on a stainless sink in my home, so I thought... WTH!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have windows and door poppers, there's little space left to fill that wouldn't interfere with the mechanisms. I had to add structure behind my door pulls too, but I'm not using the FFR door panels. There really isn't much wiggle room left after all this stuff. My doors prolly weigh in at 30# each now. If the door alignment is correct, the doors sound solid enough to me. The juice isn't worth the squeeze!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks all...sounds like I'm trying to fix a problem I don't have!
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get the same solid sound using a fat mat product without the foam worry, then cover with carpet, worked for me.:-)