Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom Build w/ 600ci Boss-Nine

Post Thanks / Like

Custom Build w/ 600ci Boss-Nine

Hello FFR folks! I acquired a fairly unique FFR Cobra that was purpose built for the standing mile events. My good friend who built the car with the help of Jon Kaase succumbed to "C" a few years ago and was never able to finish the drill due to his deteriorating health. I took ownership early last year and have been working on "smoothing" some rough edges due to necessary "trackside-engineering". No biggie - we're getting the old girl good looking good again! We made custom flares to cover the wide track and large MT tires out back. I think it turned out well - a bigger *** rarely is a bad thing - correct?

Cracker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cracker; 01-31-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great I like it

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your friend. Great that you are picking up the project and marching on. That is a serious looking machine. Love it.
    Please post a video if you get it out to the rolling mile events.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Like Those Flares Belong On That Car To Me!

Hummmmmm?

What's the driveline combo and anticipated big end top speed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. Love the color combo

Post Thanks / Like
    Wild looking! Pretty awesome. What size tires does it have out back?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    Hello. In short, I have a FFR Cobra that was purpose built for the standing mile events. My good friend who built the car with the help of Jon Kaase succumbed to "C" a few years ago and was never able to finish the drill due to his deteriorating health. I took ownership early last year and have been working on "smoothing" some rough edges due to "trackside-engineering". No biggie - we're getting the old girl good looking again! We made custom flares to cover the wide track and large MT tires out back. I think it turned out well - a bigger *** rarely is a bad thing - correct?

Cracker
    Love that color combo as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks mean, what’s it running for power?

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry folks...I wasn't receiving "email notifications" from the thread responses.

The engine was built for my friend by a friend of his - specifically for these mile runs. Ever heard of Jon Kaase? Jon pulled out all of the
    stops made 1130 hp NA on the engine dyno. It is an CNC aluminum block 600ci Boss-Nine with raised intake ports, titanium valves (I/E), 12.5:1, etc. To say it sounds "pissed-off" is an understatement! The rear-end is a 9" spool and has a Levy 5-link.

Scott: War Damn Eagle! The tires are Mickey Thompson's (325's)...

Cracker
    Last edited by Cracker; 01-30-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry folks...I wasn't receiving "email notifications" from the thread responses.

The engine was built for my friend by a friend of his - specifically for these mile runs. Ever heard of Jon Kaase? Jon pulled out all of the
    stops for this competition Cobra - the heads are from an Engine Masters entry. Made 1130 hp NA and is an aluminum block 600ci Boss9
    motor. To say it sounds pissed-off is an understatement...

Tires are Mickey Thompson (325 width) drag radials...

Cracker
    Dang! Sounds like all sorts of fun!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like

stops made 1130 hp NA on the engine dyno. The engine is an aluminum block 600ci Boss-Nine with the chassis having a Levy-5-Link rear (9"). To say it sounds pissed-off is an understatement! The trans is a 600 purchased from Forte and sent to Kaase's shop.

Scott: War Damn Eagle! The tires are Mickey Thompson (325 width) drag radials...

Cracker
    Holey Snikeys - that is a beast!! Must be a handful...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Driver! The car was named "FireAnt" for obvious reasons...it is BRIGHT as Hell!

FireAnt was certified to 200+ by E.C.T.A when it was run back in 2011. I made the difficult decision to modify the cage
    to something both more "street friendly" and better looking. The original 12-point was simply hideous! Now that it most
    likely will be retired from active duty - a trimmed down, yet still safe cage was in order. I retained the door bars (plated
    .120 DOM) and substantial roll with kickers and triangulation. The "retained" cage is still a monster!

Cracker
    Last edited by Cracker; 01-29-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Goal was "well over" 200 mph in the mile. Think "forcing a brick to speed with pure horsepower...and stupidity!"

Cracker

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea Baby!! I needed to see that engine bay. I don't think I have a pair big enough to run that short wheel base 200mph, but, that has to be one heck of a ride. Very nice body work. Good luck with the adventure. Keep posting updates. Now its up to someone to put the Boss Nine in a GenIII... Double Dog Dare Ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! I am too old to fall for the "Double Dog Dare's"!

I know there are some FFR Hot Rods with Boss-Nine motors but if you haven't seen one in person - pictures simply do not do them justice! Here is a pic of the dash...it is all business! Twin fire bottles protect the engine and occupants...

Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Yea Baby!! I needed to see that engine bay. I don't think I have a pair big enough to run that short wheel base 200mph, but, that has to be one heck of a ride. Very nice body work. Good luck with the adventure. Keep posting updates. Now its up to someone to put the Boss Nine in a GenIII... Double Dog Dare Ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found this old pic of "Doc" and his son Patrick at the Maxton-Mile event...sadly, I only have it in a small pixel image. Godspeed Doc!

Cracker

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like one crazy machine. Standing mile events certainly take some stones. Did the car get taken for any runs?

I am surprised to not see a front spoiler and/or splitter on that monster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche: I agree...yes it does! This entire car was built to do two things: Standing mile events and with some modifications - Road Course events. A 393 SBF, LSD diff, 6-pot Willwood R brakes and 17" wheel package were "swap-able" set up for the RC duty. However, there was not enough time due to the aforementioned health issues for the car to see double-duty. There is a splitter (a real one, not the sheet from FFR) but I do not recall him ever using it...I would have.

In the mile-events, Doc ended up making a total of 3 runs (!!!!) over the course of two-weekends. Years of work building the car and tens of thousands of dollars spent resulted in less than 2 minutes of seat time. The sanctioning body only allows drivers to hit "certification" speeds (one step at at time). This is intended to bring driver and machine up more in stages for safety concerns.

Doc's last run was "certified" to 175 but he backed off at 166 (data) due to spinning tires. The suspected "culprit" was rear springs weights (1200 lbs) combined with a rather bumpy airstrip. Sadly, that was the last weekend he was able to run (2011)...he could no longer exit the car within the allotted time (10 seconds).

Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    That looks like one crazy machine. Standing mile events certainly take some stones. Did the car get taken for any runs?

I am surprised to not see a front spoiler and/or splitter on that monster.
    Last edited by Cracker; 01-31-2018 at 06:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    166 and spinning the wheels..... YIKES!

Post Thanks / Like
    Challenge: Can anyone identify the modification (its not that hard) I made (contrary) to the standard 427 Cobra? Reference the pics in the pics in the first post...

PS: No, I a not referring to the modified flares!

Cracker
    Last edited by Cracker; 01-31-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Double Post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Insane, Over The Top, Go Big Or Go Home?

That Sucker Is Totally Crazy!

Post Thanks / Like
    The hood scoop is raised, on a spacer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good guess but not what I am referring to...this does not make you wrong but neither the winner.

Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The hood scoop is raised, on a spacer?
    Last edited by Cracker; 01-30-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are a good friend to pay homage to him with this story. One could only wish to have his pal tell his story after he is gone...

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your kind words...Doc was a good friend.

Cracker
    Last edited by Cracker; 01-31-2018 at 07:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The most apparent mod I spotted is no "quick jacks".

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW: Love the engine!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, good guess and eye...I have quick-jacks, I just haven't installed them.

Hint: What I am referencing is not easily reversible...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take a swing at the (non standard) rollbar.

Looks pretty sturdy, but I'm not sure it's all I'd want for 176...
    Last edited by mike223; 01-31-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the gas cap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    Where is the gas cap?
    Nice catch.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a winner!!!

Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    Where is the gas cap?
    Last edited by Cracker; 02-03-2018 at 10:39 AM.