Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 42Bfast Coyote/TKO/IRS build start

Post Thanks / Like

42Bfast Coyote/TKO/IRS build start

Hi all. I'm a little late in posting my build.
    My MK IV complete kit was delivered by Stewart Transport Nov 20. Holidays, family, and out of town work delayed the actual build start to after the 1st of the year.

Before the configuration list, some background:

Almost 20 years ago a good friend bought one of the very early Factory Five roadster kits, found a Mustang donor car, and proceeded to build his Cobra in the enclosed sun room/porch. I helped some with the build. During that build and over the subsequent years I have been greatly impressed at how well everything fit and just works, still,….after 20 years.
    I always lusted over his Cobra but never expected to be able to manage the finances and the challenge of a build of my own. However, through a bazaar sequence of events, I find myself living a couple hundred yards from my friend and his wife, and coming off of a post-retirement contract job that has funded this seemingly unrealistic dream.

I now have the funds AND the willing expertise and assistance of my friend,….Cobra here I come!

The Cobra will be for street driving, touring Florida to Tennessee and more, and some autocross.

Coyote and TKO 600 with IRS.

With almost 3 weeks since lifting the body off the chassis, the front suspension is on, steering rack is next for up front. The center diff for the IRS is in as are the control arms, spindles, and half-shafts. Waiting on parts to get back from powder coat to install the sway bar. Trying to figure out best fit and best sequence for sheet metal installation.
    More details, and hopefully pics, to come as I catch up on the build posting. (Assuming I can figure out how to post pics)

I've read some of the outstanding build threads such as EdwardB and Wareaglescott, etc, as well as the continued postings, with the motive to try and educate myself and minimize the dumb questions to the forum. Notice I said “minimize” because sometimes I'm a bit slow to catch on and need help. Thus I'll ask for patience and forgiveness ahead of time cause I know the questions will come.

I'm excited to take on the challenge of the build, and honored to join this elite, helpful, and knowledgeable group on this forum. Hope I will be able to assist as I go forward and gain experience.

Coyote engine/TKO 600/hydraulic clutch - yet to be sourced

Factory Five Purchase:
    Roadster complete kit
    Powder coated chassis
    Body cut-outs
    Standard vinyl seats- possibly to be upgraded aftermarket
    Power steering
    Wood steering wheel
    IRS
    Vintage GPS gauges
    Halibrand 17” wheels
    Stainless side pipes
    Vinyl dash with glovebox
    Sun visors
    Wind wings
    Side louvers
    Brake duct wire mesh
    Battery cut-off switch
    Front and rear sway bars
    Chrome driver and passenger roll bars
    Mustang brakes
    31 spline driveshaft
    Coyote full length headers

Additional purchases:
    Metco driveshaft loop
    Thompson drop trunk
    Breeze front battery box, radiator mount and shroud, dash supports, and PS offset
    Breeze cockpit bulkhead trunk shelve access
    Herb Fraser door panels

To be purchased:
    Heidt's valve for PS
    Lizard skin sound and heat insulation
    Seat heaters
    LED lighting
    Coyote, TKO 600, hydraulic clutch- Most likely Forte

Some complete decisions:
    Engine compartment- Scotch bright scuff and Sharkhide

Possible considerations:
    Push button start
    Power jacks for motorcycle heated clothing
    Heat scavenging for winter cockpit warming
    Cobra clubman seats

Post Thanks / Like
    Look forward to following along. Dont be bashful about asking questions. Plenty of willing helpers here. I still have not found a question that I haven't been able to get a quality answer for on here!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations I’m sure you will enjoy the build I know that I did

FWIW You may want to consider adding an oil cooler for the power steering system

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the party. Sounds like you have a great plan. Looking forward to watching your progress.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post

FWIW You may want to consider adding an oil cooler for the power steering system

Rick
    Yes!! You are correct. I had read the recommendation for a cooler, especially if autocrossing. I have been looking for the right part but forgot to include it on my list, so thanks for the reminder. My problem is that Summit, etc have about a bazillion to choose from ranging from tiny to large multiple loop items.
    So, if you have a suggestion for a particular part number, I'd welcome the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the allstar summit part num all52100 and mounted it to the driver inner fender with two 1/4 inch bolts

I didn’t think that I would need an oil cooler but when I had to replace the $350 billet pump then I decided to get the cooler

If I was going to build another one I would look at installing one in front of the radiator it would make a better looking install

I really like the TKO with a midshift kit the shifter doesn’t have any dog leg

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 01-28-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    Yes!! You are correct. I had read the recommendation for a cooler, especially if autocrossing. I have been looking for the right part but forgot to include it on my list, so thanks for the reminder. My problem is that Summit, etc have about a bazillion to choose from ranging from tiny to large multiple loop items.
    So, if you have a suggestion for a particular part number, I'd welcome the input.
    Several of us have used this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13310. Compact and already has the -6 AN connections, which is the common size for power steering. I've mounted it on the fan shroud.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interested doing a similar build. Can't wait to see how yours comes along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick/Paul, Thanks so much for the part number assists. Most helpful! Also appreciate the tip on the mid-shift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love your kit specs, very similar to the config I ordered. Please do post pics and updates as you go.

Curious about the driveshaft loop, why is that needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Sheet metal trim?

Attachment 80054

1st attempt to post a pic.
    The sheet metal on the engine bay of the drivers footwell extends beyond the footwell plate. Has anyone needed to trim theirs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do yourself a favor and fit all the pieces of the foot box together before attaching or drilling anything. Something doesn't look right with that panel. It should fit with that edge flush with the front panel.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
    Curious about the driveshaft loop, why is that needed?
    It is a safety precaution. In the event of a u-joint failure, the driveshaft could flail about wildly. Given the driveshaft is inches from your right hip, having a metal loop to contain the driveshaft is an extra level of safety.

On a personal note, I experienced a u-joint failure on a Jeep a few years ago. Lucky, it was the rear joint so the driveshaft dropped to the pavement at that end. It bounced around a bit before I shut everything down, but did no real damage. I was able to disconnect the front u-joint, load the driveshaft in the jeep, and drive home on the front axle. Scary!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Do yourself a favor and fit all the pieces of the foot box together before attaching or drilling anything. Something doesn't look right with that panel. It should fit with that edge flush with the front panel.
    That was my process, or so attempted. Everything was fitting ok except the front footwell sheet metal would not sit against the plate, by about a 1/4 inch. I pulled everything apart to understand the problem and take the pic. The panel in the pic rides against the firewall and the 2" tube underneath, on the backside and extends past the plate on the front by 1/4" as seen in the pic.
    The solution "appears" to be to trim the panel. However I haven't noticed this condition on other build threads so wondering why I'm special.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a great plan. My only comment is the Heidts valve may not be needed. I am not familar enough w/ PS pumps on a Coyote so not absolutely sure. On the old engines the common pumps pressure can be changed either by cutting a spring or using a restrictor orrifice.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't have to do any trimming on any of my footbox panels. Sometimes things need to be 'jiggled' a little bit to drop into place.

That really doesn't look right - I'd reach out to FF support.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the others that something is not right. With the other foot box panels and firewall in place, can you cleco the problem panel to the front panel and slide the firewall side of the problem panel inboard or outboard to make it fit? It won't take much movement at the firewall to get the 1/4" you need.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Looks like a great plan. My only comment is the Heidts valve may not be needed. I am not familar enough w/ PS pumps on a Coyote so not absolutely sure. On the old engines the common pumps pressure can be changed either by cutting a spring or using a restrictor orrifice.
    Yeah, I wasn't wanting to go the route of cutting the spring, but a restrictor orrifice would work. I was concerned however, finding the right restriction could be a bit of a trial and error task. I liked the idea of adjustable restriction a Heidts valve would provide but honestly, I suspect once set, it wouldn't be changed, at least not often. It is another spot to fail of leak so I wouldn't mind avoiding the complexity if the correct amount of boost could be determined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the guidance on the panels. It certainly helps to have a wider frame of reference. Tomorrow's a new day, I'll work with the fit and report back.

Hope to post some pics soon to get up to date with the progress.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds Like Another Very Nice Well Thought Out Build Plan For Sure!

Just a good bit above my skill level (Coyote That Is) so lean on Sir EdwardB for expert advice.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-30-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GoDad! I've been following your trials, tribulations, and triumphs with interest and empathy. I'm a fan of some of the GM power plants (Current grocery getter is a 2006 Corvette, love the LS, and my brother and I are restoring an FJ40 Land Cruiser with a Chevy 350) BUT, I would never be brave enough to attempt a journey to the dark side on a Cobra.

I'm following a well worn path forged by others (such as EdwardB) so help is within arms reach. My hat is off to you for blazing a new trail.
    Hang in there on your project, bunches of us are pulling for you.

I'm in Pensacola so not that far down the coast from you. If you are ever in the area, give me a shout if you want. I'd be happy to buy you lunch and get your take on my build.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Sounds Like Another Very Nice Well Thought Out Build Plan For Sure!

Just a good bit above my skill level (Coyote That Is) so lean on Sir EdwardB for expert advice.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !
    Good job on the edit and clarification. God knows there's enough fake news out there. Keep it REAL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting your build going. You have a lot of fun ahead of you. Enjoy the build!!! Then there is even more fun ahead.

This forum is a great place, as you know, with a lot of great people.

When you get there, the Deep South Cobra Club (DSCC) does three larger cruises a year. Usually around 30 cars gather up on a Thursday night at a home base hotel with a welcome party, spend Friday and Saturday cruising with stops at cool restaurants, museums, historical sites, etc. Then head home on Sunday. One cruise was based out of Pensacola last year. Cruised around the panhandle and Alabama. We also do a "Mountain cruise" That bases out of the NC / TN boarder area. It is really nice that you see a lot of the same people and develop friendships.

I also thought I would give autocross a try. I did one, and that same night I was ordering my own helmet! I am hooked. Two of us are regulars, so we have a little Cobra presence at out local events. People line up to get rides with us. And, another great group of people.

You have a lot of fun ahead of you. Enjoy the build!!! Then there is even more fun ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

IRS POR 15 and install

IMG_0067.JPGAttachment 80619
    Applied the POR coating with a twist.
    First, had the same issue as several other folks getting the top out of the can. After the sides were vertical with little hope of removal, I used the trusty Vice Grips to grab the vertical sides of the lid. I was then able to use a screwdriver to get under the Vice Grips and pry the lid out. (Sorry didn't get a pic)

Second, because I had read the other threads lamenting the difficulty preventing the POR from running, I chose to go with the gray color. I still have a few runs, but they are not obvious against the gray of the aluminum cover. I thought the color would offset well with the black PC frame and actually highlight the diff a bit. (You can tell you are a hopeless gear head if you think an IRS diff is a work of art and should be highlighted)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Diff installed

IMG_0064.JPG
    Certainly a different look to the black diffs. I think I'm liking it ok. (Besides, if I decide I don't like it I can always paint)

Will coat the aluminum with clear (maybe Sharkhide) to keep it clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Question on diff cover.

IMG_0069.JPG
    Does anyone else have the (new?) port next to the drain plug?
    It is a threaded port for oil temp sensor, I'm told by my local Ford parts guy.
    I quizzed FFR, they tell me that given it does not actually open into the oil, it is ok to leave it open. Was curious if anyone has any differing information or concerns?

Post Thanks / Like
    How are you doing pics? It's a lot nicer if they show as a pic rather than as a clickable link. Maybe we can help.
    IMG_20160128_140118297 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    How are you doing pics? It's a lot nicer if they show as a pic rather than as a clickable link. Maybe we can help.
    IMG_20160128_140118297 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    I'm certainly open for assistance. I'm using an iPad, which is sometimes a pain all its own. (I may need to switch to the laptop when posting)
    I'm attaching the pic using the attachment icon in the "Go Advanced" reply tab. The process is a bit of an exercise in frustration, which is part of the reason for my dismal posting rate. I take pics using my phone or digital camera, then have to send them to myself, pick them up on the pad, save to library, then attach in the posting using the aforementioned icon.

Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Congrats on getting your build going. You have a lot of fun ahead of you. Enjoy the build!!! Then there is even more fun ahead.

This forum is a great place, as you know, with a lot of great people.

When you get there, the Deep South Cobra Club (DSCC) does three larger cruises a year. Usually around 30 cars gather up on a Thursday night at a home base hotel with a welcome party, spend Friday and Saturday cruising with stops at cool restaurants, museums, historical sites, etc. Then head home on Sunday. One cruise was based out of Pensacola last year. Cruised around the panhandle and Alabama. We also do a "Mountain cruise" That bases out of the NC / TN boarder area. It is really nice that you see a lot of the same people and develop friendships.

I also thought I would give autocross a try. I did one, and that same night I was ordering my own helmet! I am hooked. Two of us are regulars, so we have a little Cobra presence at out local events. People line up to get rides with us. And, another great group of people.

You have a lot of fun ahead of you. Enjoy the build!!! Then there is even more fun ahead.
    Thanks Avalanche!

I've just signed up with DSCC. Looking forward to having a running Cobra to join the fun one day!

Love auto crossing! It's been a while but I did some when I lived in Georgia driving a Miata. I'm sure the cobra will be a whole new ballgame. I haven't connected with the local SCC since I moved to Pensacola but will be high on my list when the car gets through its shake down.
    Should be an absolute blast, AND I can't think of a better environment to start finding the limits on the car. The cobra will require some significant driver skill upgrade and auto cross is a great safe place to start. I certainly want to know how the car is going to react when traction limits are breached, and how to recover.

Hope to see you at an event one day!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you are on an ipad, I have no idea as I am using a Windows desktop and Flickr as a hosting service. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you are on an ipad, I have no idea as I am using a Windows desktop and Flickr as a hosting service. Anyone?
    Flickr has an app for both the phone and the iPad. You could take the pictures with the phone and easily upload them to Flickr. Then they're available anywhere.

I haven't used the iPad's Flickr app to embed pictures into a post. Seems easy enough though. In your photo stream, click the "Select" box in the upper right and then select the photo you want to embed. Then click the arrow at the bottom right (looks like a right turn arrow); then select "Copy URL". Paste the URL into your post and submit.

John
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 02-09-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    For my new Coupe build thread, I'm following David's instructions and hosting my pics here on the forum. No complaints. Works great. Take the pics with my iPhone, mail them to myself, and then upload using my laptop. Note they can be linked to threads in both forums. That's one of the reasons I stuck with Photobucket in the past. But turns out the same links work in both places. Photobucket burned me once. Not going to burn me again. This pic of the day my Coupe arrived is linked from the forum gallery.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats 42Bfast!

Your build looks very close to mine ( FFR estimating the kit will be ready 3/3/18 for pickup )

mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering