Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: engine help please!

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

engine help please!

Help please.

Building my 87 mustang gt 302 engine for my MK4 and my stock oil pan does not fit on engine now.

The oil pump my engine-machine shop got me was the melling M68HV pump. The top, or I guess the bottom of the pumps bolts, hit the original ford oil pan. I don't have the old original pump anymore to compare the new one to. What's worse is the pick up tube, also melling, and seems to be hitting the pan also.

Anyone have this happen too?
    Any suggestions on what to do?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously you're going to need a different pan to clear your HV pump. I suggest some of the Cantons, as they can be had in 7.5" which shouldn't hang lower than your frame tubes.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Do some research on those pumps. Lots of people recommend against using high volume or high pressure pumps.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Craig says, look into the issues with a high volume pump. It is not needed unless you have build a track engine with loose bearing clearances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for ditch the pump use stock setup. I have for many hard miles.
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:
    http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    As Craig says, look into the issues with a high volume pump. It is not needed unless you have build a track engine with loose bearing clearances.
    Yep. And obviously if you are using a stock pan it ain't gonna' be a track engine

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Yep. And obviously if you are using a stock pan it ain't gonna' be a track engine

Jeff
    What HE said!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so I changed over to a standard pump and the pan fits on top no problem now.

But the pick up still had issues fitting. The pan was hitting in the low spot of the pan on the tube. Very frustrating. I decided to "massage" the pan in that area to make it fit. I made sure it didn't hit without the gasket so when i put the gaskets on, it definitely would clear.
    Don't know if it was just a slightly off pick up tube, or if the new "official ford part" oil pan was made a little off. Either way, it all fits now. Thanks guys.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shady, clearancing of the oil pump P/U requires more than simply allowing enough gap so the P/U doesn't hit the pan. A rule of thumb is 5/16" to 3/8" to provide enough flow to the P/U. If you have too little it can block flow at higher pump speeds. You can either use a lump of clay to determine the clearance or measure off the rails to the P/U and work the math. DO NOT place clay directly on the P/U strainer without masking it off first for obvious reasons. I'm sure if you search YouTube you'll find a video showing how to do this. Check Canton, Moroso, Hamburger, etc. -- all the major oil pan makers and at least one should have some detailed graphics how to measure clearance.

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Shady, clearancing of the oil pump P/U requires more than simply allowing enough gap so the P/U doesn't hit the pan. A rule of thumb is 5/16" to 3/8" to provide enough flow to the P/U.
    Hey Naz, thanks for looking out! I should have been more clear. I did finesse the tube to clear the pan where it hit in the mikes area, but I also made sure it was properly gapped from the bottom of the pick up area too. I am right around 3/8" with the gasket installed.
    P.s. I did the clay test on it. Thanks again.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news! You should be all set now.