Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clutch cable concern

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch cable concern

I'm starting a separate thread on this topic because I don't want to hijack Bruuce's graduation thread. You can find that one here: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Frank-I-E-427. Bruuce - you've got a great build there! Congratulations!

On to my particular question: The above referenced car (and thread) started life with a Coyote, J-pipes and a cable clutch. I have, as some of you are painfully aware, the same configuration. Bruuce and Frank solved the problem by ditching the standard headers and J-pipes; I'm hoping I don't need to take that route. I have yet to start my car, and I think I have a decent routing for the cable, but it would probably be better to get advice/opinion from others who have experience now before I have the same problem! I'm planning to attach the clutch cable bracket to the block using one of the lift point holes (it's rather large, but it is conveniently located). That should keep it out of the way, or at least I think it will. Whatcha think? Any advice on routing?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    To clarify our cable melting issue, here's my original routing:

The cable was routed within an inch of the j-pipes. As long as you're able to find more clearance (e.g. with a bracket) I don't think 4 into 4s will be necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not change to a hydraulically activated clutch and route the line inside the footbox to keep it entirely away from the headers? Just a thought.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Being one of the early Coyote installers in 2012, I had the same problem with clutch cable routing and trying to stay away from the FFR header/J pipe arrangement. My solution was the 4x1x4 Stainless Header route. You won't be disappointed. They flow/perform better and look amaizing (for what you can see of them).