Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: USB port

Post Thanks / Like

USB port

I'm searching for a dual USB port to add to my complete kit. I gather that I can connect into the wiring harness using the wiring for the radio. I'm now searching for what/where to buy as well as where to place it. If anyone has any feedback on what they would recommend using (or avoiding), that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have a dual USB but I installed a single USB, cigarette lighter and 1/8th jack into the L shaped aluminum horizontal support behind the dash center. Can't be seen unless phone charger or ipod cord is connected.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBen View Post
    I'm searching for a dual USB port to add to my complete kit. I gather that I can connect into the wiring harness using the wiring for the radio. I'm now searching for what/where to buy as well as where to place it. If anyone has any feedback on what they would recommend using (or avoiding), that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ben
    I mounted two USB outlets in a bracket I made to support the dash. These are from West-Marine. They have dual units as well. You can find them on Amazon from a number of sources.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I bought mine through West Marine as well ...

The 12V receptacle is to the right and the USB to the left where it will be easier to see the two ports inside the USB charger.

The plugs/outlets are held in place by a ring (similar to the ones on the Speed Hut gauges). Here is work in progress on the inside of the under dash.

Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a Cig Lighter plug, and a dual USB plug into a cast-aluminum box painted black.. and mounted high on the passenger side of that center back panel beside my batter cutoff.
    I pushed it up high to keep it accessible, but more-or-less just out of site. Should be almost invisible with the black carpeting installed. Self Taping screws hold it in place to the frame cross tube.
    The box is just big enough to house the plugs. By just, I mean.. just. Had to gently bend the tabs over. Then, just had to drop in a single fused acc 12v line, and grounded it internally.
    I also had room to put the programming button for my SpeedHut gauges clock. It's at the back on the bottom of the box. Not really visible at all. Just have to know it's there.

Big Photo

Aluminum Box (BUD Industries CN-5700)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T789RA

Combined USB & Cig Pllug
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBKO2YY

Post Thanks / Like
    I started off with two "cigarette lighter" ports. Then changed one out to a dual USB. West Marine for me too.

I don't think I have used the cig one since.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used my cig lighter port 9 of 10 times driving my car since it first became street legal last month.... I used it to plug in one of these.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwi...ted-inner-vest

Yes.. even South Texas gets "cold" some times. That electric vest makes driving in the cold a snap.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the advantage of a cigarette lighter port over a USB-specific port; you can use the cig port to power other stuff. I use the one in my daily driver to power a small air compressor when the tires get low.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    The 12V cigarette lighter plug is the way to go. It's universal. Use it with a USB plug for you phone or tablet,
    . Use it as a cig plug for those accessories that come with that type of plug.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest cig lighter. USB standards keep changing so I use the flush mount dual chargers that plug into my cig lighter. Also like skidd I plan i re purposing my heated motorcycle gear for using in the Cobra. We have lots of sunny days in Colorado but they are cold. I don't intend to skip those days driving the cobra. I got mine from west marine as well.
    Ron
    MK4 # 9181 - Complete Kit - 408 EFI, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 2017-10-06
    Build Thread - http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...499#post299499

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a waterproof version off eBay, identical construction to the West Marine version. Mine has one 12V socket and one USB. Once you get them mounted and wired, you can always swap a new style in if you need to.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input everyone - I'll be going with the cigarette socket. Who knows - maybe USB won't even be a thing by the time I get done.