Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering wheel boss

Post Thanks / Like

Steering wheel boss

Sometimes I have thought of sticking the wood steering wheel on, in place of the leather one, just for a change, or perhaps for a show and shine.

I was thinking the fast and simple way to do this, was to have a second boss, which I could leave attached to the wood wheel. Then it would be a simple matter of popping off the badge center cap, and unscrewing one bolt from the column. Simply reverse the procedure with the other steering wheel.

I wondered though, if the current boss, is actually the same screw hole pattern as my MK3.1 steering wheel hub? I worried this might have changed, when the MK4 came out?

Can any member confirm if it's the same, or not?

Thanks, Bill
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    They are all the same. I wouldn't do it though. If properly seated, it doesn't come off easily. And every time you take it off you wear it out a bit. I would just remove the screws holding the wheel to the adapter.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option would be to go w/ a quick release hub and have one for each wheel.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...=413&cat_id=12
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...=432&cat_id=12
    Not inexpensive though.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    They are all the same. I wouldn't do it though. If properly seated, it doesn't come off easily. And every time you take it off you wear it out a bit. I would just remove the screws holding the wheel to the adapter.
    Mike
    So Mike you mean the splines on the boss wear with removal?

Craig, those are pretty expensive, especially for two of them! I like the concept though.
    Probably have to lock the wheel in the trunk, if I left the car on it's own, or risk having someone keeping it as a souvenir..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    So Mike you mean the splines on the boss wear with removal?
    I put mine on to go-kart my car right after first start. When I went to remove it to install the Russ Thompson turn signal mod I had to use a puller. I'm not putting it back on until I don't have to take it off again.
    John
    Mk4 #8866