Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Head rest along with the standard low back seats in a coupe?

Post Thanks / Like

Head rest along with the standard low back seats in a coupe?

I like the look of the standard big guy low back seats and wondering if it is advisable to mount some sort of head pad to the roll bars behind the seats for some whiplash protect or just better off getting a higher back seats? It sure if mounting a head rest to the roll bars is too solid a mounting point and would cause personal injury than using a higher back seat.

If I go high back I would get something other than the Kirky high backs due to the fairly large side bolsters.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're a big/tall guy, the aluminum seats are the way to go. They sit low to the floor, and give you a lot more room. Otherwise something like a Cobra Clubman seat is a good choice.

The had pad mounted to the roll bar is a decent compromise. It works to control backwards head movement, but it's not as safe as a high back seat.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been done.
    Do a search for Fluge on FFcars.com
    Marc made some for his gen2 coupe

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkviper View Post
    I like the look of the standard big guy low back seats and wondering if it is advisable to mount some sort of head pad to the roll bars behind the seats for some whiplash protect or just better off getting a higher back seats? It sure if mounting a head rest to the roll bars is too solid a mounting point and would cause personal injury than using a higher back seat.

If I go high back I would get something other than the Kirky high backs due to the fairly large side bolsters.
    Here is what we did:100_1937.JPG100_2705.JPG

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree I wouldn't drive/ride in the Coupe without high back seats or some kind of padding on the rolls bars. They are literally right behind your head. Not only an accident, but even hard braking or turning could result in a nasty bump. IMO, high back seats are the only way to go. There are many seat options. We also didn't want the big side bolsters for our Gen 3 build that will only be used for street cruising. Makes getting in and out even harder. Kirkey has a drag seat that some use. We wanted something a little more finished looking, so are going with these from Corbeau. Their Sportline Evolution X model. I've confirmed they fit OK. BTW, don't overlook also the roll bar above the door. It's also pretty close to your head when sitting in the car. I'm planning to put some type of padding on those. Another option would be to cruise with helmets. But pretty sure my wife won't go along with that. She barely accepts wearing a hat when we cruise in the Roadster.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    so are going with these from Corbeau. Their Sportline Evolution X model. I've confirmed they fit OK.

Don't want to hijack the thread, .. but you do have the rare perspective of multiple highly researched and respected roadster builds, AND now a coupe, ... do you know if these seats will also fit the roadster or, in your opinion, is the Clubman a better solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread, .. but you do have the rare perspective of multiple highly researched and respected roadster builds, AND now a coupe, ... do you know if these seats will also fit the roadster or, in your opinion, is the Clubman a better solution.
    Thanks for the shout out. I honestly don't know though. I've only installed the low back standard seats in my Roadster builds and I have no experience with the Clubman's. The Corbeau website has a dimensions diagram. You could check that. My guess is the base would fit since this seat design is a fixed back resulting in a relatively narrow width, especially in the area of the harness belt frame tabs. But I don't know about the rest.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Thanks for the input. When I get closer to needing a decision I'll do the research and run the numbers.
    Good luck with your new build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for everyone’s input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now, see, I have the low backs too but since I'm short, I have mine on an adjustable track. Mounting on the roll bar would not be an option. What about some kind of mount which attaches to the back of the seat? It would go where the seat goes if you have it on a track. Seems it could be possible but I'll admit, beyond my skills. I'm good at body and paint but not fabricating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 70gtvert View Post
    Now, see, I have the low backs too but since I'm short, I have mine on an adjustable track. Mounting on the roll bar would not be an option. What about some kind of mount which attaches to the back of the seat? It would go where the seat goes if you have it on a track. Seems it could be possible but I'll admit, beyond my skills. I'm good at body and paint but not fabricating.
    Check this thread from a few weeks ago. Discussion about head rests that can be added to the standard Roadster seats. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...018#post310018