Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #438 Build summary

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it some sort of plastic board? Where could one aquire something like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene) or Delrin (acetal) sheet. These are both non-hygroscopic meaning they won't absorb moisture. Beware of ABS sheet or any recycled PE (polyethylene) or PP (polypropylene) as these are hygroscopic and will absorb moisture, swell, and warp (could cause corrosion issues).

I buy HDPE, Delrin, and PP sheet from McMaster and a local plastics supply company. At work we use a lot of 1/2" HDPE (lots of colors) and 1" to 2" Delrin (white and black).
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcollins View Post
    1 Power Window Frame

Not the most aesthetical upgrade I made, but by far the most popular among other builders. Many of you have seen this as I shared the drawings, BOM and cad model with over 40 people on the FFCars forum.

When I went to install my power windows, I ran into many of the same problems as others; the felt supplied with the kit did not work, the double wall fiberglass on the door top was separated and flimsy, etc. I found many improvements on the forum, however none of them seemed to meet the look and robustness that I was seeking. So I came up with this. I haven’t found anyone else with this solution, so thought I would share because it worked out very well. The idea was to make a lightweight aluminum frame that connects to the steel door structure. I was really surprised at how economical and simple this was to make…all materials can be found at McMaster Carr or your local hardware. If anyone is interested, I created a cad drawing which includes a door top template and complete bill of material.

Attachment 80122 Attachment 80123 Attachment 84806 Attachment 84807 Attachment 84808 Attachment 84809
    Tim

Can you send a drawing of what yu did for the window frame, I sazved the image but cannot make out the details once I zoom in.

Thanks Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Also will mention very impressed with complete build, love all the details and respect all the thinking that went into your project.

Post Thanks / Like
    TCollins,
    I love the work. I sent an email a week or so ago, as I was interested in talking about some of your designs. Are you available for a discussion?
    Roger
    Gen 2 33 Hot Rod ordered 05/06/2020, Blueprint engines SBC 400 c.i. fuel injected, TCI 700R4, Holly Sniper EFI, 3-link, Roadster (no top or windows), carbon fiber bike fenders and engine covers, A/C, Wilwood brakes, Infinitybox electrical system, Lokar shifter, Dakota Digital HDX gauge cluster, Schott Wheels Challenger EXL front 18x8 and rear 19x11, with Nitto 555 G2 tires front 235/40R-18 and rear 305/30R-19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcollins View Post
    Sub Woofer Boxes

One of the most important features to me for this car, was to have a high quality audio system. I have a 69 Camaro convertible with an LS1 and can barely hear the radio while cruising on the highway with the top down. And there is no bass, due to speaker limitations.

For my FFR33 I wanted both high quality sound and ample bass. Working with a local shop, together we designed a system. At first we tried to stuff two 13” sub woofers in the trunk but could not get the 21L of volume necessary for each speaker. Also there was some concern with sound quality since the trunk in the 33 is separated by the gas tank. So we opted for two 8” sub woofers directly behind each seat. The enclosures are made from aluminum due to the complexity and to get the needed 9L of volume. The aluminum boxes are dimpled, sealed and fully covered with Dynomat extreme. Combined with the carbon mid range & tweeters in the doors, the 2000 watt amp in the trunk, and the Sony digital receiver, the sound quality is amazing…very happy with the results.
    Attachment 80136Attachment 80137Attachment 80138Attachment 80139
    Would you mind sharing which 8" subs you went with? Brand?
    Thanks,
    Roger
    Gen 2 33 Hot Rod ordered 05/06/2020, Blueprint engines SBC 400 c.i. fuel injected, TCI 700R4, Holly Sniper EFI, 3-link, Roadster (no top or windows), carbon fiber bike fenders and engine covers, A/C, Wilwood brakes, Infinitybox electrical system, Lokar shifter, Dakota Digital HDX gauge cluster, Schott Wheels Challenger EXL front 18x8 and rear 19x11, with Nitto 555 G2 tires front 235/40R-18 and rear 305/30R-19.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I'm using 2 - 8" Polk MM-842-DVC Marine (waterproof) subs - just in case water gets inside the cabin. Keith HR #894

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12