FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fixing Gaps on Hood?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fixing Gaps on Hood?

Finally got most of the body, doors, and trunk to fit with gaps I can live with. Last area is the gap between the top of grill and the hood. I know I can grind thin the hood and rebuild the glass enough to re-gap this correctly but I want a better way. Please offer your way to handle this one last PITA area so I can move on.20180201_082134.jpg20180201_082113.jpg

I cannot move the grill farther back due to all the other points of interference so my only option seems to be fix the hood and don't scew it up again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since no one has replied, I'll say that there is no better way to fix this problem. You need to almost knife edge the affected area, removing some material from both sides, then use mat and resin to rebuild the area. Just remember that the body thickness is somewhere in the 1/8 to 3/16" thickness range - don't over-do the sanding. Since the body is made with vinyl ester resin, it doesn't hurt to use that in the repair process. I'm a veteran of extensive body repair and modification on my '37 Oze.

The only other way would be to try a fiberglass reinforced filler. Folks who build FFR cars seem to like 3M high strength repair filler. It better be good for what it costs. I have no experience with this product. I have used a lot of fiberglass reinforced body filler in places where some folks said it shouldn't be used, but so far, none of the places where I used it have had problems.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Str.../dp/B000XBKL1Y
    Last edited by DaveS53; 02-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use tape and fiberglass it in, after grinding the hood for taper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what mine went through. Biggest thing is not having too much to fill the gap without good structural support

IMG_2341.jpgIMG_2475.jpgIMG_2476.jpgIMG_2477.jpgIMG_2477.jpgIMG_2479.jpgIMG_2484.jpgIMG_2505.jpgIMG_2557.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The hood on my 33 is way off line with the firewall. The hood lines up good with the radiator, but I have at lest 3/8 gap where the hood meets the left side of firewall. Do I shift the hood over to close the gap or do I sand down the right side of hood ? any suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33wanabe View Post
    The hood on my 33 is way off line with the firewall. The hood lines up good with the radiator, but I have at lest 3/8 gap where the hood meets the left side of firewall. Do I shift the hood over to close the gap or do I sand down the right side of hood ? any suggestions ?
    Pictures would help show what you are dealing with. Once we see the issue I am sure you will get sond great help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would depend on front grill fit and alignment. Remember it is an average fit-take some and add some. Move it around and see where it looks best and go at it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33wanabe View Post
    If I’m understanding what you are saying, I had a similar issue. It was because the centerline of the hood wasn’t lined up with the centerline of the grill and body. Once I established that, I fit the hood by sanding and moving it over. This brought one side back closing up the gap you speak of. But i has not taken much if any off the front of that side so I had material to work with.

Edit: the hood was lined up Center the center of grill in front but wasn’t in the back. FFR cutting wasn’t right on the curves which put it sitting crooked. The CL of the hood was about 1/2” off from the CL of the body.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions, I moved on to the doors, no problems there. I will try to send pictures when I get back to the hood.