Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Complete kit build-Wiper kit-YES or NO

Post Thanks / Like

Complete kit build-Wiper kit-YES or NO

GUYS, I have my list of options ready to go for my Mark IV order!
    I'm on the fence about ordering the wiper kit. Some say they work ok, some say not at all, some say they are not very good overall mechanically.
    Who has them?
    Do you like them?
    Do they work?
    Would you order them again?

Its the last option on considering....
    Any input and help is great
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You putting a top on? If not, why need wipers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Check to see if registration requires them with in your state

Post Thanks / Like
    I have them but would not install them again. The mechanism works but I would not want to have to rely on it for extended periods. In a heads up battle, I would probably chose rain-x over the wipers. With no top, I schedule outings based on the weather forecast and have only been caught out once in 5 years. Wipers was the only option purchase that I regret.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine work and look great. I did upgrade the Wheel boxes and used 5/16” stainless tubing.

I think it gives the roadster a more refined look. Also, even in California we ended up getting stuck in rain with traffic. Would have been a miserable drive without wipers. Rainex does very little at low speeds.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqoDlwHbG5A
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 02-01-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They work OK. They're exactly as advertised -- vintage 60's wipers. Expect more than that and you'll be disappointed. The windshield isn't very tall, so the wipers aren't very long, and the area they clean isn't very big. I don't plan on driving in the rain either. But I've been caught in several "zero chance of precipitation" downpours.

As already stated though, depends on registration requirements and whether you're planning a top. I've put them on all my builds and don't regret it. I agree, IMO they make the car look more finished.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rain isn't the only thing wipers are good for. If you live in an area prone to fog, get the wipers. If you plan to drive in the early morning just before the sun comes up, get the wipers. And if your state's registration requires them, get the wipers.

Note that if you're installing a heater, the area of firewall just above the passenger foot box is going to get really crowded...

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if CA registration requires wipers ?

Post Thanks / Like
    lewma,

I did not put wipers on my car and no one asked about them in the registration process. The CHP never questioned it, same with the Brake and Light inspection. I did have to add a temporary reverse light for the Brake and Light inspection.

Where in SD are you located, I'm in Bonita.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi John

I'm in San Marcos. Kit completion is tentative 3/3/18 then however long it takes for Stewart to get it across country.

mark

Post Thanks / Like
    You still may be cited in California if you do not have wipers.

California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 26706

(a) Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, equipped with a windshield shall also be equipped with a self-operating windshield wiper.

(b) Every new motor vehicle first registered after December 31, 1949, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with two such windshield wipers, one mounted on the right half and one on the left half of the windshield, except that any motor vehicle may be equipped with a single wiper so long as it meets the wiped area requirements in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Governing Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems.

(c) This section does not apply to snow removal equipment equipped with adequate manually operated windshield wipers.

Post Thanks / Like
    They work well enough to pass state inspection and i like the look with them installed but I would not use them to drive in the rain

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 02-01-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just added the wipers to my order with FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    They can be made to work, and if you plan to really drive your car, you’ll need them. I did have to work with mine, different wheel boxes to increase sweep. There’s a thread on the other forum on my mods.

Here’s proof they work, and yes I have a top

John

https://youtu.be/srcA8T0qpvg
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, Thanks for the quick replies. Great information.
    Next question-
    Who is running a heater/defroster?????
    M

Post Thanks / Like
    A/C Heat with defrost vents, has come in handy several times.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a requirement in NC so did not order them. Got caught in the rain a number of times but didn't have any real hardships seeing out. At speed most of the water blows off & you say pretty dry. Slow traffic & you will get wet

Slow traffic you will get water on both sides of the glass. RainX or similar does a very good job of keeping the glass clear.

Typical British Sports Car in the rain, just a Mega fast TR3 or MG
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, if you plan to trailer your car around and your state doesn't regulate them, wipers are an ornament. But if you're driving, you will get caught in rain. Like BEAR, at highway speeds, most rain isn't an issue. Rainx applied to the windshield will take care of average rain at higher speeds. The FFR supplied wiper will work fine if you take your time with the installation. They are 1950/60s technology. There's a pile of material on the forums for tweeking the install.

Yes, I have them (although most of the time I rely on Rainx).
    Yes, I don't mind them.
    Yes, they work?
    Yes, I would you order them again
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 02-02-2018 at 02:19 PM.