Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK-4 Door Mechanism >> Mounting The Hardware Question

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MK-4 Door Mechanism >> Mounting The Hardware Question

Hey Gang,

Have any of you used Rivet-Nuts to mount your door latching hardware?
    I'm a big fan of my Thread-Setter and not so much a fan of Self-Tapping screws.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-01-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not done it with riv-nuts but as a body guy I suggest waiting to install the door latches until the actual body fitting is being done. The indents that are on the door are not necessarily in the proper location.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Not done it with riv-nuts but as a body guy I suggest waiting to install the door latches until the actual body fitting is being done. The indents that are on the door are not necessarily in the proper location.

Jeff
    Jeff,

Give me a call.
    I just sent you a PM.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I suggest waiting to install the door latches until the actual body fitting is being done. The indents that are on the door are not necessarily in the proper location.

Jeff
    X2 what Jeff said.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use rivnuts for the door latches because I'm also not a fan of self-tapping screws. Especially for something that important. X3 on waiting until body fitting. Not only are the dimples likely not exactly right, I've had a couple that one or more screws missed the metal plate underneath. Not that's a pain.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Edward. Some of the screws don even hit the plate. If you drill for a rivnut and hit half the plate then your really screwed. Just use the supplied hardware.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I forgot to mention that the body is on the car and properly attached including Three Allen Head Button Bolts under each door.
    It has been that way ever since the block sprung the two leaks so I was hoping to knock out the latches since the body is where it meant to be.
    You can eyeball the car in the attached video:

https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

NOTE:
    The door gaps were clearanced just enough so that they open properly with NO rubbing
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-02-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rivnuts here but some of them barely hit the metal. I tried to move the striker a little to help the rivnuts hit metal. Didn’t move much but it wound up being just enough. Good luck
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    No hesitation, rivnuts for sure. There is definitely some engineering to do though. The one hole does not line up with the metal under plate, at least it didn't on mine. To fix that I cut and bent up a Stainless Steel Adhesive-Mount Nut https://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-nuts/=1bemvyy to bond on the inside of the door. I used a long set screw to hold it in place while the HSRF set up. My plan was to remove the set screw after it was bonded into place, which worked on one door, but the other door some HSRF seeped onto the set screw and it got stuck. So I just left it and used it as a stud instead of a nut. In after thought, I could have just used the Stainless Steel Adhesive-Mount studs instead, but it all worked out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank You All, Especially The Pics From Boat737!

Getting this project going again after the leaky block debacle (September 2017) has admittedly put a bit of a dark cloud over this project.

So glad to get moving again and can't wait for that 2nd 1st Start & Drive!

Thanks Again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great talking with you yesterday Steve! Good luck moving forward

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve. Yeah, been following your frustrations with the motor, and it sucks. Pretty safe to say though that all of us stumble into a hole or run into a wall at some point into our builds, but I think yours has to take the cake for one of the biggest glitches. But it will be overcome and you'll do it. How's that saying, "...Like a Rock!"

As for the doors, I think you're already there, but make sure the body, and the doors, are all lined up and set before you drill the holes for the latch. Not a whole lot of adjustment after that latch is bolted to the door.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread