Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mark IV; Heater/Defrost option-YES or NO

Post Thanks / Like

Mark IV; Heater/Defrost option-YES or NO

Guys, I'm on the fence about including the Heater/Defrost option;
    Who has it?
    Does it work?
    I live in WI and most likely take early spring and late fall drives.
    Are the side pipes enough to keep you comfortable?
    Or, is the heater/defroster needed......
    Any input and help is great.
    THanks
    M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmarto View Post
    Guys, I'm on the fence about including the Heater/Defrost option;
    Who has it?
    Does it work?
    I live in WI and most likely take early spring and late fall drives.
    Are the side pipes enough to keep you comfortable?
    Or, is the heater/defroster needed......
    Any input and help is great.
    THanks
    M
    I have the FFR heater defroster in my build that I should be completing late this spring. I also just ordered the Cobraheat Motorsports heated seat kit. My expectation is that the heater defroster will defrost my windshield on cool mornings or nights and the seat heaters will actually provide passenger warmth. I'm HOPING the defroster works and I'm certain the heated seats will .
    The heater defroster takes up a fair amount of firewall space and space behind the dash for the duct tubing. I have a Blueprint 306 so heater plumbing is very straight forward. The hardest part of the install is mounting the defroster ducts into the body of the car behind the windshield.
    I'm hoping to have my car ready to drive from Canton, OH to Elkhart Lake, WI in late July for a family reunion. Gotta have goals!
    John
    Mk4 #8866

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where are you located and what is the weather like?
    I have the heater/defroster, but only installed it as a heater. It is really good and I'm glad I incorporated it into my build. I installed ball vents under the dash so I can shut them off or point then in any direction. The vents are located in the center of my lap so when I point it toward me, it does a great job of keeping the family jewels warm. At the end of last summer, I installed velcro across the bottom of the dash lip and over to the tranny tunnel, and made 2 small flannel blankets and my wife sewed velcro along the edge. We cruised the last week of October and it was 24* when we pulled off the parking lot. I was quite warm and the blankets held the heat in the footbox.
    I also have seat-heaters installed in Kirkey-style seats and that does a good job keeping my butt warm. Layers of pants, shirts, jackets, and socks and you can still enjoy a cooler cruise (just remember the roads and tires are still cold!)
    I say do it! ( I really haven't had an issue with the windshield frosting though.)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the wipers check your local registration requirements here in mass you need a defroster
    Good luck with your build
    Gromit aka Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in WV and I like having the heater it lets me drive the car when the weather gets down to about fifty degrees

For me it gets to cold once it gets below the middle 40’s my face gets to cold

It works well I just installed the heat and not the defrost vents

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in WI are you?
    My mk4 kit should show up in about a month.
    I’m from Janesville and ordered a heater with mine.
    It does make it so you can’t have a glove box, but
    to me it will be worth while.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys, I live in the mountains of Western Maine. I have had my share of two seat sports cars over the years that had heat/defrosters. Unless you also install a tonuea cover, the heat just seems to get sucked right out of the car.

On my Mk 4 build completed last year, I did not install heat/defroster, but instead went with heated seats and 12vdc outlets that enable me to use 12 vdc lap blankets to keep my lower body toasty. With todays modern clothing, it is quite easy to keep the upper body warm as well. Of course this is coming from someone who likes to snowmobile at temps below the zero mark.

Just me two cents.

rick

Post Thanks / Like
    My last roadster was a Mercedes-Benz SL500. Even though that car had all the modern conveniences, I never drove it with the top closed. With lower temps, the heated seats were all that really made a difference. If it was too cold for those, the car stayed in the garage. My MK4 will have heated seats and no heater.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Where are you located and what is the weather like?
    I have the heater/defroster, but only installed it as a heater. It is really good and I'm glad I incorporated it into my build. I installed ball vents under the dash so I can shut them off or point then in any direction. The vents are located in the center of my lap so when I point it toward me, it does a great job of keeping the family jewels warm. At the end of last summer, I installed velcro across the bottom of the dash lip and over to the tranny tunnel, and made 2 small flannel blankets and my wife sewed velcro along the edge. We cruised the last week of October and it was 24* when we pulled off the parking lot. I was quite warm and the blankets held the heat in the footbox.
    I also have seat-heaters installed in Kirkey-style seats and that does a good job keeping my butt warm. Layers of pants, shirts, jackets, and socks and you can still enjoy a cooler cruise (just remember the roads and tires are still cold!)
    I say do it! ( I really haven't had an issue with the windshield frosting though.)
    I've ridden with Mark when the temp was in the 30's, I was amazed at the difference his heater made. I too thought that with the open top, the heater wouldn't be effective, one ride and I changed my mind. Put one in, you won't regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of points back and forth about the heater. Can't add much. If you ever plan to add a top, for sure install the heater/defroster. Regardless, install the heated seats. With or without a heater, they are nice. Your question about side pipes -- they aren't part of the discussion. They get plenty hot and you and your passengers don't want to be touching them. But the heat doesn't make it's way to the interior.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have been driving around a lot with it around 40 lately. Have seat heaters but no heater. Seat heaters keep my body nice and warm. The areas that get cold are my hands and face. Just to much airflow from wind in those areas. I cant see a heater helping in those two areas. Good hat and pair of gloves are better in that case in my opinion.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    No heater. Heated seats will more than do the trick.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Install the heater and then get a top. Gives you another 2-3 months of driving season.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Count me among the yea's on this one. Spring and Fall are loaded with beautiful, but cool, days and nights. I would recommend it for all builds with the possible exception of show car/garage queens. Be sure the de-frost outlets are positioned correctly for your line-of-sight.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I installed seat heaters but no heater/defroster, though I ordered the heater/defroster with the complete kit. During the build I went back and forth as to whether the heater/ defroster would be necessary for my application. I may drive it on cool spring or fall mornings and evenings but not regularly. I find the seat heaters get nice and toasty on the butt and back and quite happy with my decision.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Does someone have a link to the seat heaters?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Count me in the heater crowd. Even here in southern AZ, it gets cool in the early mornings and the heater keeps my legs and feet warm. My winter jacket keeps the rest warm! Remember, just because you have it doesn't mean that you have to use it, but if you ever need it, it's nice to have!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the ones most use. I've used them several times. Nice quality and work great. Some choose the waterproof version, some the regular. They're under the seat covering so not sure it matters. Good sale right now. BTW, they are sold as one set. So you need two sets for two seats. This question gets asked pretty regularly.

http://www.cobraheat.com/WARMSEATS-S...ATERS_c_1.html
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    At the end of last summer, I installed velcro across the bottom of the dash lip and over to the tranny tunnel, and made 2 small flannel blankets and my wife sewed velcro along the edge. We cruised the last week of October and it was 24* when we pulled off the parking lot. I was quite warm and the blankets held the heat in the footbox.
    This is a great idea! I can see my wife using this all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    It does make it so you can’t have a glove box, but
    to me it will be worth while.

Jim
    I haven't done this myself...yet, but I have read there are shallow glove boxes you can use if you still want a glove box. I plan on going that route with mine.

http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Gloveboxes.htm
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 02-02-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Northern Ontario Canada, so the driving season will be somewhat similar to the in WI. To answer your question, you need to consider a few things. First, does your state regulations require the heater/defroster? Second, what do you plan to do with the car?. If you plan to trailer the car around and put a few hundred miles on per year, chances are the heater/defroster are not worth the effort. If you plan to DRIVE the car, or tour with the car, the build process is the time to install as much equipment you can for your comfort.

In my case, I do lots of driving. So I opted for the heater/defroster, heated seat kits, premium top (used for wet weather only) and I installed an outlet to plug in the heated motorcycle jacket liner. The heated seats alone aren't enough and don't help when your windshield is fogged up. Also, the heater can be directed at you feet in the footboxes, and the defrost helps your hands if they get cold. Heated seat won't help in these areas either.

Some other things to consider. Make sure the body is well sealed around the footboxes and dash. Cold air blowing in is annoying. Also, the clothes you wear will make all the difference. Some type of hat and gloves is a must on cool morning/eventing. I keep mine behind the drivers seat all the time. Also, I dress with layers similar to hiking in the Rockies. The last layer is a gortex wind proof shell. Your upper body and left arm will cool off quickly even with the heater/defroster.

The heater is an easy install and tucks out of the way on the firewall. If your heart is set on a glove box, some guys have built out the firewall where the heater attaches. IMO, if you have door panels with sleeves, the glovebox isn't required.

BTW, MPtech had a great idea with the Velcro curtain.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 02-02-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to add here except for this: I didn't see anything about what you have engine-wise, Magicmarto. If you're running a Coyote, you'll need a valve to ensure continuous flow even when the heater is off. Not a big deal. I'm working on installing mine now. Ducky2009 is the expert on that in my mind. In any event, this thread convinced me to get seat heaters, too. Edwardb is correct - Cobraheat is having a sale - the heaters are 15 bucks off right now.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2012 Coyote and DID NOT install a valve to ensure continuous flow. Over 20,000 miles in hot summer conditions, and run after run racing. No issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    I have a 2012 Coyote and DID NOT install a valve to ensure continuous flow. Over 20,000 miles in hot summer conditions, and run after run racing. No issues.
    My 04 Mach1 engine shares many architectural similarities to the Coyote. I too was told that in order for the engine to cool properly, there needed to be continuous flow from the passenger side head, through the heater core and back to the pump. I plumbed it both ways and could determine no significant change in passenger side head temperature, so I settled in on flow through the heater core only when needed (I too see track time on hot days for extended periods). As an aside, I cannot imagine that Ford engine designers would design an engine that depended on the presence of continuous coolant flow through the heater core for proper head cooling.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in north Florida. I have a heater and heated seats. I use them both. I travel up to 2 1/2 hours to autocross, so you have to head out pretty early and it can get chilly.

Even without a top, the windshield can instantly fog up on a damp morning, especially when going over a bridge. It happened to me a couple times. I keep a small black towel tucked behind the passenger seat for a quick recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    5.0 coyote with TKO600
    Thanks for the heads up on the valve...
    M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Not much to add here except for this: I didn't see anything about what you have engine-wise, Magicmarto. If you're running a Coyote, you'll need a valve to ensure continuous flow even when the heater is off. Not a big deal. I'm working on installing mine now. Ducky2009 is the expert on that in my mind. In any event, this thread convinced me to get seat heaters, too. Edwardb is correct - Cobraheat is having a sale - the heaters are 15 bucks off right now.
    5.0 coyote with TKO600
    Thanks for the heads up

Post Thanks / Like
    I have:

Heater
    Seat heaters in Kirkey high back road race seats
    Single (Mustang donor) wiper arm

I do not have defrost. I couldn’t/didn’t want to mess with defrost ducting.

I have been driving in the 20’s and stay toasty warm. I find the heater blowing warm on my lap to be outstanding. Eyeball vents under the dash, 2 per side. Richard Oben’s SuperFrost setup. I will have a/c lines complete and charged here shortly.

While you didn’t ask specifically, the wiper is a must for me. Before install, dusk driving with slight rain was impossible to see when oncoming car headlights hit the windshield. (Yes I had RainXed the glass.) Wiper made HUGE positive improvement.
    Last edited by Gale K; 02-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. Paint done by Da Bat! It looks killer! Drive it like you stole it...

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the ones I bought and installed. Running the electrical this weekend.

http://www.cobraheat.com/WarmSeats-W...ater-_p_9.html
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread