Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My kit is finally arriving this saturday. Any tips or recommendations anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

My kit is finally arriving this saturday. Any tips or recommendations anyone?

My kit is finally arriving this Saturday from Stewart. Any last minute tips or recommendation or procedure aside from inventory check as per the manual says. reason I ask is because I'm highly excited and when I'm excited I tend to dive into stuff really fast sometimes too fast.lol My garage is ready and I have all the tools needed for the most part I think.

Base kit that has been fully optioned out so its more of my own complete kit sorta?

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun! Take your time and do a thorough inventory. Open the bags of parts and count everything.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure to tip the Driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not only open and count everything, but also measure. I've found instances where hardware was the wrong size, length, whatever. I'm a huge promoter of the inventory not only a time to make sure you get everything, but also a time to familiarize yourself with all the parts. Don't just check them off the list. Figure out what they are, where they're used, look them up in the manual, etc. Mark the bag/boxes with a description of what they are. Not just the part number. I also highly recommend leaving the parts in the boxes they were shipped in. Use the inventory list they give you as a roadmap to find things as you need them. When backordered parts arrive, put them in the boxes they should have been in and mark them off on the list. Organization will make your life easier as you progress through the build.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto what has been said. I have found these tools extremely useful for inventory and throughout my build so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Order pizza, buy some beer, and invite your friends over. This calls for a party!
    I can't believe I built it, and it runs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Take lots of pictures. Before you remove the body check the distance between the aluminum panels and the underside of the body. Not unusual to need panels trimmed here and there. Enjoy the experience.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best thing is to unload, get it all into the garage neatly and then take a brake. The inventory is some thing that I did not do as good a job I should have done. I did leave everything in their own boxes after inventory which helps tremendously but I did not truly note what everything was for and that would have helped. One reason is you get some parts you will not use and they confuse you months later when you're like, "what is this?" (Think Bill Murray and Steve Martin on their SNL skit). Then there is the leftover nut or bolt you find in a packet and you're thinking what did I miss with visions of your wheel flying off as you cruise down the highway at sixty. Take it as slow as you can, organize it as best you can with boxes you will not use in the short term away from your build. Take pictures if you need to, they may help later on. Have fun!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Harbor freight, or northern tool furniture dollies. Get a pair and put the car on them, they move in all directions so the car can get out or your way when doing inventory. We put all the stuff we un pack in order. For example: put the pedal box and gas tank fasteners in the car, they are just about first. Mark the shelves: front suspension, rear suspension, interior, exterior etc. HTH, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many builders including myself made copies of the inventory sheets and attached them to the corresponding box.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL16 View Post
    Take lots of pictures. Before you remove the body check the distance between the aluminum panels and the underside of the body. Not unusual to need panels trimmed here and there. Enjoy the experience.
    This.

Lay a sharpie with the marker tip on the panel and the body of the pen flush to the body. Keeping the pen flush with the body, run the tip along the panel. This is where you want to trim the panel. If you don't mark the panels before taking the body off, you'll have to put the body on to mark them and then take the body back off to trim them.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayfunktionkev View Post
    My kit is finally arriving this Saturday from Stewart. Any last minute tips or recommendation or procedure aside from inventory check as per the manual says. reason I ask is because I'm highly excited and when I'm excited I tend to dive into stuff really fast sometimes too fast.lol My garage is ready and I have all the tools needed for the most part I think.

Base kit that has been fully optioned out so its more of my own complete kit sorta?

Thanks everyone.
    Take pictures and or a video of cockpit aluminum. Are you doing the forward firewall from FF Metals? I personally highly recommend. Also watch the build videos on youtube. How about passenger side foot box mod? Battery box in trunk mod? Breeze lower radiator hose? Larger overflow tank? List can get quite long. But good luck. Great experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbaygreg View Post
    Take pictures and or a video of cockpit aluminum. Are you doing the forward firewall from FF Metals? I personally highly recommend. Also watch the build videos on youtube. How about passenger side foot box mod? Battery box in trunk mod? Breeze lower radiator hose? Larger overflow tank? List can get quite long. But good luck. Great experience.
    Also add Russ Thompson gas pedal. Breeze radiator hinge is a great idea too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Open one box at a time.... AND put everything back in that box before moving to the next. When you start looking for parts (as you start your build), use the inventory list to track down the box. If you don't know what you're looking at, open the manual and explore. Don't be in a hurry. I found the gas filler but didn't realize the screws were missing.

Add your signature... include kit, engine, trans, etc. Also add a short cut to your build string.

Include MK4 Build # (last four digits of your chassis number)
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 02-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Grab the steering wheel and seat and start making vroom sounds! (you know you will!!)

Take it one step at a time, try not to jump around too much (it's tempting to skip steps to do something more fun), and when you encounter a problem; put the tools down and walk away to clear your head before you do something you regret (boogering it up or breaking it in the process).

Before I started every step in the manual, I did a couple quick searches here and the other sight for tips or modifications.

Good Luck, the build is half the fun!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    All great tips above but here's the most important. Get all your honey-do's done as once you start assembling your kit you won't want to do anything else.

Yes you'll even consider spending your vacation time in the garage. You'll start thinking work gets in the way of your build and it won't hurt to call in sick once in awhile. You'll consider putting a cot in the garage so when you wake up in the middle of the night with an idea you can simply roll out of the sack and start working. Everything else in life will be put on hold until you finish that car.

Man, are you sure you're ready for this?

Post Thanks / Like
    These are great tips guys!!! good reading for the community!
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whoo hooo!

Here are my tips for first arrival.
    • Have a camera ready. Film the arrival and folks participating in unloading the boxes. Years from now you'll thank me for this I promise.
    • During inventory, I used a sharpie to list all the parts on the OUTSIDE of the box, so you don't have to go find the inventory list every time you want to find a part.
    • DON'T CUT ANYTHING YET! I did cut one splash panel on my brother's MKIV. Later I figured out that if I just bent the panel more (it flattened during shipping) it would have fit. The only panel I ended up trimming is the nose aluminum, and even then it was minimal. I maintain that trunk aluminum, splash guards, etc. do NOT need trimming if mounted properly.
    • Keep reading those build threads! Some are extremely detailed and can act as a real good supplement to the manual.
    • TAKE YOUR TIME! IMO Slow and steady wins this race. Pulling panels off after mounting and drilling out rivets isn't fun. I usually build stuff several times in my head before actually building, especially with the first build.
    • Throw a build party! Or 2! Or 3!! Having experienced builders and their rides over make for very enlightening conversations and their cars offer additional enlightenment as well.
    • Start a build thread, if you haven't already. Take a few pics of the empty garage and post them, using the pic gallery. Better to get used to this process now, rather than later IMO.

Here are a few threads to help with pic hosting, and maintaining your thread title as you work the build:

Embedding pics:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tures-in-posts
    Maintaining thread titles:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tle-Guidelines

You've already been granted full access so you are good to go with the pics, updating your profile and sig, etc.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't already I would get a digital caliper to go along with the items that Mark Eaton lists above. It is really helpful for measuring length and size of bolts, nuts, etc.

I highly recommend writing the box number and what is in the box on all sides of the box. When you have several boxes stacked up, it makes them easier to identify.

If you are short on garage space like I am, I also recommend reading through the index in the manual and think through the build process and put the boxes you will need last, carpeting for instance, on the bottom or in the back of the stacks. I also tried to make sure the things I would need first were left front and center.

Once I was finished I scanned my inventory sheet and loaded it onto an ipad and phone along with the build manual. The manual doesn't always tell you what box stuff is in, and sometimes a part or two is in a different box than all of the other parts you are working on. It is a lot faster to search a pdf, and find the box, then scanning all of the inventory pages.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Take full advantage of the wealth of information on this forum...learning from other's mistakes and successes can save you some extra work and improve your results!
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When starting on a section of your build i.e. your front suspension, read the entire section carefully of your manual. I recently made that mistake on mounting the front spindles. Note I missed in the manual said the spindles are reversed on the roadster vs the Hotrods Trust me you don’t want to make that mistake. Now I read and reread everything. And ask questions. Everyone here are your teammates. Good luck and congratulations.

Side note..my favorite tool is my air rivet gun. Real time saver.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Order up 50-100 1/8, 10-20 3/16 clecos and Cleco pliers. Drill and put together your panels then take them to get powder coated.
    As someone else suggests, at each new step do a quick search for tips. Especially if you think it seems like the wrong way to do something. One of the forums probably has a better way to do it.

Order the following:
    Breeze - forward batt box, cooling system lines, offset steering rack bushings, rad shroud.
    Fortes- mech throttle linkage, hydraulic clutch
    Get a bunch of weather pack connectors and the tool for wiring

Post Thanks / Like
    One other thought...start a build log.

I can't count the number of times my build log has told me how I did something (especially with wiring).

Or the number of expert eyes that check your work in the photos you post (everybody and their band director will help you make sure you get the ball joints installed correctly in the upper front control arm assembly; this is a very very good thing).

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayfunktionkev View Post
    My kit is finally arriving this Saturday from Stewart. Any last minute tips or recommendation ?
    Yes, put it back on the truck and point the driver to San Diego

Post Thanks / Like
    Build a Chassis Dolly! Real Back saver! I have used mine and Rolled the Project back in the corner when not working on it!!! So much better than jack Stands!
    Chassis Dolly.jpg
    IMG_3548.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto writing on the boxes what is in them during inventory. Write on the bags of hardware what they are for. I don’t know how much time I’ve spent reading through the inventory for a bag number then searching the boxes for the bag after the manual says “use xyz hardware during this step” with no other reference.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found the search bar here and the other forum to not work well. I google my problem along with typing out this forum or the other and then usually click the picture response tabs. Saved some time searching that way. The manual is my start point, then that search to confirm visually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice everyone I highly appreciate everyone's help and tips. Sadly stewert transport rescheduled my delivery to next weekend.. On a better note the willwoods arrived mid jan so I can start putting the brakes on my 8.8 rear end and I'll update my build thread when the kitarrives =]