Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 351 W Engine Pulley issues, HELP

Post Thanks / Like

351 W Engine Pulley issues, HELP

Has anyone else had problems getting Pulleys and waterpump to align... I'm only running alternator.... Simple right... (Wrong) I called Summit and said I have a 351 W Crate Motor and I need the 3 Pulleys the Water Pump and the Alt Bracket. They sent me a set of March Pulleys and a Ford Racing WP and a Alt Bracket kit... I Put WP on and immediately notice the pulley is going to be about an inch too far out from the crank pulley and the Alt Pulley... So I call again and they say I need the short WP... Get it and the Pulley wont fit on it and if it did it would be rubbing the pump... then call and they say you can put space on Crank pulley and then I have fab the ALT brackets out get longer bolts and start Jerry rigging it to work...

I'm getting really frustrated... This should not be that difficult.... It should be buy this pulley set, this WP and this ALT Bracket bolt on and tighten belt... Done

Question one: Anyone else dealing with this and are you adding spacers everywhere...

Question two: Is there anyone that has a 351W that can give me a Pulley set, WP, and ALT Bracket that works perfectly together? Part numbers or is there complete front end kits you can buy...?

Maybe if you could post pics of your Pulley set ups that would help...?

TIA,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I change mine for and electrique water pump from summit

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am doing this now... you need the .95 spacer on the harmonic balancer, normal water pump... it should all fit.... give me to the middle of next week and I will have pics after the rest of the parts come back from the coater.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if this is the setup you're looking for but if it is here are the part numbers.

March pulley set 30380
    Spacer for crank pulley 1433
    March alternator bracket 30395

The 30380 pulley set includes an alternator bracket but for whatever reason the included bracket didn't work for me. A March 30395 did and that's what you see in the photo. Also included the March instructions for the 30395 bracket as it shows the spacer lengths you should end up with. Also shows the recommended belt.

I bought all this stuff from Summit, and they were very accommodating about swapping out the alternator bracket.

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    K. If I add the .95 spacer to the crank... then I guess you bought longer bolts and spacers to get Alt out the extra inch?

Post Thanks / Like
    What Photo? And what water pump are you using? A couple photos would be awesome especially from top and front! Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    Don't know if this is the setup you're looking for but if it is here are the part numbers.

March pulley set 30380
    Spacer for crank pulley 1433
    March alternator bracket 30395

The 30380 pulley set includes an alternator bracket but for whatever reason the included bracket didn't work for me. A March 30395 did and that's what you see in the photo. Also included the March instructions for the 30395 bracket as it shows the spacer lengths you should end up with. Also shows the recommended belt.

I bought all this stuff from Summit, and they were very accommodating about swapping out the alternator bracket.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the hardware (bolts, washers, spacers, etc.) is included with the kit(s).
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks some pics of your setup and parts would be greatly appreciated to show how you spaced the ALt

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, had inadvertently changed my photo album from public to private. Apparently when that happens the embedded images are not visible; should be able to see them now.

Water pump is a M-8501-G351, which is a standard rotation, long nose pump. As far as the spacer lengths go, ended up using the lengths as shown by the second image: 0.30" between the alternator bracket and the water pump, and 1.5" between the alternator and the cylinder head. These are pretty plainly visible in the first image.

As requested, here's another image from the front.

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the MCH-30380 kit on my dart block 351w with a Edelbrock water pump. The kit has all the parts and looks like what Karol’s has. You may also want the MRG-6129 water pump shimms to align things. I had to use a shim on the pump but in all the kit fit perfectly and everything needed including the alternator bracket was included. See my build long for pics. Also do note that depending on your balancer that you may not need a shim, as my pioneer one did not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mslone View Post
    Has anyone else had problems getting Pulleys and waterpump to align... I'm only running alternator.... Simple right... (Wrong) I called Summit and said I have a 351 W Crate Motor and I need the 3 Pulleys the Water Pump and the Alt Bracket. They sent me a set of March Pulleys and a Ford Racing WP and a Alt Bracket kit... I Put WP on and immediately notice the pulley is going to be about an inch too far out from the crank pulley and the Alt Pulley... So I call again and they say I need the short WP... Get it and the Pulley wont fit on it and if it did it would be rubbing the pump... then call and they say you can put space on Crank pulley and then I have fab the ALT brackets out get longer bolts and start Jerry rigging it to work...

I'm getting really frustrated... This should not be that difficult.... It should be buy this pulley set, this WP and this ALT Bracket bolt on and tighten belt... Done

Question one: Anyone else dealing with this and are you adding spacers everywhere...

Question two: Is there anyone that has a 351W that can give me a Pulley set, WP, and ALT Bracket that works perfectly together? Part numbers or is there complete front end kits you can buy...?

Maybe if you could post pics of your Pulley set ups that would help...?

TIA,
    Here's the front dress on my 351W based 414. I used the CFR Performance kit which includes brackets and pulleys. The brackets are intended for a 5.0 but there is an adapter that let's them work with 351W based blocks/heads. You will also need to use a reverse flow water pump. I later swapped the pulleys to anodized black for a little less bling. Scott

Here are a couple of links.
    http://www.cfrperformance.com/FORD_S.../hz-4351-m.htm
    http://www.cfrperformance.com/FORD_M...z-4300-pol.htm
    http://www.cfrperformance.com/FORD_M...-01065-pol.htm
    http://www.cfrperformance.com/FORD_S.../hz-wp302l.htm

Front Dress 017.jpg

Here's a video of the setup running at 1:50 into the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9mG...G81K1MWyTOJ-2A
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 02-04-2018 at 03:44 PM.