Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nutserts in plasitc?

Post Thanks / Like

Nutserts in plasitc?

Has anyone had success using nutserts in plastic? A couple of the self tapping screws that go into the heater core plastic on my car are stripped. I guess I could use a larger screw but wonder if nutserts might not be better. Thoughts?

Thanks, Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used nutserts in plastic with success. There are several types and the ones that will have the best success are the ones with the large front flange such as these:
    nutsert2.jpg
    They also have a large protrusion on the back side as shown in these pictures:
    2SL1500_.jpg 2015-02-01 13.26.37c.jpg

The ones that don't work so well are the two piece when clenched such as this:
    nutsert.jpg
    The front flange is small and the hole size required has a tight tolerance. I used hundreds of this one in metal and is my favorite because of the small hole size and little outer flange. But it will pull out of plastic much easier.
    Last edited by 2bking; 02-04-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are nutserts made just for plastic and soft materials. They look much like drywall anchors with pedals that spread out more than double the size of the hole. McMaster-Carr carries them as well as other retailers. If you search the gallery for FFR 33 Hot Rod Roll Cage I think one of the first photos in the set shows these on my firewall. I'm in the shop right now so don't have access to a photo. These are the way to go for plastics and thin aluminum where conventional nutserts tend to pull through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful on getting the old ones out, and don't spin them to much or you will have a big hole . I have done this and used washers on both sides of longer nutsert to fix! You may need to power heater to move flabers to get at inside washer on, and old part out.
    Last edited by 1932; 02-04-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently participated in some parts of building a Cavalon Autogyro aircraft. The shell is Carbon Fiber and there are hundreds of nutserts from the factory. On occasion one would strip out and we'd have to replace. Nevertheless, many components of an aircraft I flew in over the Rocky Mountains are held together with Nutserts.
    Last edited by adubbelde; 02-04-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    Be careful on getting the old ones out, and don't spin them to much or you will have a big hole . I have done this and used washers on both sides of longer nutsert to fix! You may need to power heater to move flabers to get at inside washer on, and old part out.
    Just replaced some and a step drill bit will cut through the outer flange first and the smaller tip kept the aluminum hole at its original size. Reinstalled a nutsert and it worked perfectly.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.