Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leg Room in the 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Leg Room in the 33 Hot Rod

Hi all, new to the forum and about ready to order/build a 33 hot rod. My only concern is Leg and foot well room...

First the leg room. What's everyone thoughts on leg room.... I'm not all that tall, my inseam is 33".... how's the leg room? What, if any, are the seat height restrictions? Is there a general consensus on seat height?

Foot Well room.... I'll use a manual trans and therefore have clutch, brake and gas pedal. I plan to use the Ford Coyote Gen 3 crate engine and the Tremec 6 speed trans.... is they any issues with room, hitting both brake and gas or clutch because of close quarters?

I live just south of Asheville, NC in Brevard would drive several hours to set in someone's 33 to "try it on for size". Any ideas here?

Thanks Much, Mark Kassab

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Foot room is tight (and that 6-speed will be too) but with proper footwear it's not too bad. I made more room in mine but that requires some fabrication. I'd reconsider that 6-sp Tremec and stay with a TKO 600. The farther off reservation you go the more time, effort, and $$ it takes and that extra OD is of dubious value in such a light car.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second the TKO 600 advice, although bell housing and clutch is the important consideration for foot space in the "as delivered" body. An internal hydraulic clutch provides the space needed to slice and narrow the tunnel. I shifted my pedal box around and changed pedal offset a little. I have size 10 "ballerina" shoes for performance driving. I found I had to get my clutch and brake coordination adjusted, not because I hit both with one foot, but because my clutch travel was twice my brake pedal travel and on fast stops I could stall the motor. Part of this is due to an aluminum flywheel and idle speed adjustment.
    The other part of this is seat choice, and hip room. Use the google map and try to find a couple cars with different seats to sit in. I would guess that around 34" inseam and size 11 shoes it starts getting Dicey. Lots of solutions out there.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can check the owners map to see if there's anyone nearby. I would high recommend a test fit before ordering one. Better yet take a trip to the factory.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...3I1Spv3vl7DQEY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    You can check the owners map to see if there's anyone nearby. I would high recommend a test fit before ordering one. Better yet take a trip to the factory.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...3I1Spv3vl7DQEY
    Thanks Arrowhead... but the owners map doesn't include handle name.... is there a way to look up a full name?

Regards, Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
    Thanks Arrowhead... but the owners map doesn't include handle name.... is there a way to look up a full name?

Regards, Mark
    You could PM RoadRacer or geoffav to see if they have a user name for he car your looking for.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post295765

Post Thanks / Like

Regards, Mark

A quick Google search shows that Glenn Somers is closest to you but has not been active on the forum for almost two years.

If you don't mind a two or three hour drive it looks like Rumbles is just north of Charlotte at Lake Norman and he is still active on the forums. If you have not see his build thread you should give it a read. He has a great car.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    You could PM RoadRacer or geoffav to see if they have a user name for he car your looking for.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post295765
    Yeah, sometimes there is no data supplied, so some entries are not as useful. Sometimes we can fill in from searching, but I couldn't quickly find anything about Glenn or his chassis number.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Oxford, Michigan and Scottsdale AZ (winters)
    Post Thanks / Like
    The foot space is very tight with the third pedal but I made it work by custom making a new trans tunnel which gained 2-3" per side. I'm using a coyote with a Tremec 5sp and internal hydraulic McLeod clutch. I'm 6'2", inseam 35 and size 11 shoe. I cannot wear my favorite boots and drive this car safely...wear tennis shoes but will likely opt for some racing shoes and just keep them in the trunk. I also moved the steering wheel 4" rearward to get past my knees.

You can check out my build summary on this forum; Tim Collins #438.

steering column move.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all of you, this really helps me. I'll contact Glenn.

@Tim, did you consider pushing the foot-well forward... as I've read on this forum some have. Would that even be possible with the Coyote?

Again thanks to all,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How many are using tilt columns?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    A quick Google search shows that Glenn Somers is closest to you but has not been active on the forum for almost two years.

If you don't mind a two or three hour drive it looks like Rumbles is just north of Charlotte at Lake Norman and he is still active on the forums. If you have not see his build thread you should give it a read. He has a great car.
    Tim, do you have Glenn tag name so I can send him a private message?.... or tell me how to fine him?

Thx Mark

Oxford, Michigan and Scottsdale AZ (winters)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all of you, this really helps me. I'll contact Glenn.

@Tim, did you consider pushing the foot-well forward... as I've read on this forum some have. Would that even be possible with the Coyote?

Again thanks to all,
    Mark
    No. Width is more the issue but if you're over 6' tall, perhaps this could have saved me from moving the column. However the column move is much easier, I believe. With the Coyote headers I have, it appears like there is only 2" or so to the flange. Also there is a cross brace in the chassis that would likely need to be moved. I highly suggest making a new or highly modifying the tunnel if using manual trans.
    footwell frame.JPGfootwell space.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, do you have Glenn tag name so I can send him a private message?.... or tell me how to fine him?
    Thx Mark
    If you find Glenn tell him to check back in. He built a FF 33 with a corvette driveline including the IRS. By shortening and using the
    torque tube he was able to gain a lot of room in the footwell. Not having a typical bellhousing/clutch/torque convertor at the back
    of the engine really freed up a lot of room for pedals. The downside was having the hot TC taking up space right by your elbow.

IIRC he was an old drag racer, top gas would be my bet from the type of rails he ran back then, maybe you can find him that way.
    HTH
    Dale
    Nostalgia drag racing fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    If you find Glenn tell him to check back in. He built a FF 33 with a corvette driveline including the IRS. By shortening and using the
    torque tube he was able to gain a lot of room in the footwell. Not having a typical bellhousing/clutch/torque convertor at the back
    of the engine really freed up a lot of room for pedals. The downside was having the hot TC taking up space right by your elbow.

IIRC he was an old drag racer, top gas would be my bet from the type of rails he ran back then, maybe you can find him that way.
    HTH
    Dale
    Nostalgia drag racing fan
    Thanks Dale.... I think I found him on FFCars.com.... just sent him a PM, waiting on a reply.

Thanks for your reply,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,

I sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like
    My car uses an LS3 and TKO 500 ( the car is complete ) what I just finished doing was basically cut a section of the tunnel out between where your foot would be when on the throttle, and the transmission. There is a fair amount of room between the tunnel and the trans that will allow the cutout section to be recessed in towards the trans and then reglassed in place. I was then able to move the peddle to the opposite side of the mounting flange, and cut and welded the peddle to accommodate the change. It gives more room between the throttle and brake, it would be ideal if the brake could now move towards the throttle to give room between the clutch and brake but that mounting is a bit more constrained. It took less than 8 hours at my slow pace and although I have not driven it yet it seems much better. I can email pics if it helps.