Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A-pillar deflectors

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A-pillar deflectors

So I have a few miles on the Hawk Coupe and I have noticed that the air does not really flow into the cockpit.... what do the A-pillar deflectors that I see on other coupes do?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pete Brock designed them to channel air along side of the cabin so the side scoop could have air supplied to them.
    Basically the A-pillar deflectors will allow air to be direct along the side of the body, where the natural tendency
    of the air is to break the boundary layer adhesion, and swirl off the side of the cabin. So you will have an improvement
    of the air passing along you window. Contact Russ to see if he has any pairs in stock. they're stainless and well made/

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, they direct air to the scoop right into your cabin. Will provide a little extra circulation for cooling if you have no air like me. I also made my side windows removable, take out time, 3 minutes per side, reinstall, under 5. I've driven in 90 degree + temps and survived it about the same as I did in my convertible whe it had the black top up.

Post Thanks / Like
    We put our windows in to stay. We have Russ' opening rear windows and the pillar slats in addition to the normal brake duct scoop. (no ducts) It is livable up to 95ish degrees while driving, just don't get caught in traffic. If you aren't installing side windows, consider rolling the slats a little farther around the pillar so they shove the air in. They would probably hit the door windows if you put the slats on that way.
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hankl View Post
    Pete Brock designed them to channel air along side of the cabin so the side scoop could have air supplied to them.
    Basically the A-pillar deflectors will allow air to be direct along the side of the body, where the natural tendency
    of the air is to break the boundary layer adhesion, and swirl off the side of the cabin. So you will have an improvement
    of the air passing along you window. Contact Russ to see if he has any pairs in stock. they're stainless and well made/

Hank
    Agreed. I know it's a different car but on my roadster w/ hardtop and side windows, the windows are sucked outward by the airflow.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    At these A pillar deflectors custom of off the shelf somewhere?
    B14343C9-1A5C-4237-9334-BD541C472A09.jpeg

Just to add I don’t know who built this car but this is my muse
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Russ Thompson used to make a VERY nice set but no longer does. It’s now a custom option. There are lots of pictures out there of them. One small detail I hadn’t noticed before was that, in 1964, they were mounted on the doors. Later they were mounted on the body (which means they have to be mounted such that the windows clear them when the doors are opened). I sketched the brackets out (I’m pretty sure that I bought the last set that Russ made) and have sent the templates out to a couple other guys. If you send me your e-mail address I can try sending them to you also.
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5