BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: dart 347 coolant type and fill level

Post Thanks / Like

dart 347 coolant type and fill level

Hello.
    This may sound simple, but I would like to have some feedback.

Looking for an appropriate coolant for my dart 347. Live in Chicago area so something suitable for colder weather. Not to drive in cold, rather storage in cold climate

Aslo, how do I know how much is enough? Just keep on poring it..?

Thanks.
    Last edited by broku518; 02-04-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Prestone 50/50 premixed in my 427W Dart. Live in NW Ohio so about like you climate wise. How much is full? I poured it to full and started it up. While it was running I kept filling through the inline hose cap opening. Don't forget to release air caught in the radiator using the upper petcock on the side of the radiator. As long as you are using the stainless coolant recovery bottle you will know when you overfill by the pretty green puddle on your garage floor. I found that the bottle was full at engine operating temp and empty at cool down. Bought a Canton reservoir with a sight tube to alleviate the problem. You'll probably put about 3 or 4 gallons in the system. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use what Ford now uses, Dex-cool, the best thing long term for any aluminum parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all. I will be getting: Prestone AF888 Dex-Cool Antifreeze - 1 Gallon
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    On the front right corner of the intake there’s a coolant sensor. If you remove it when you fill the system, most of the air in the cooling system will vent there. When it comes out put the sensor back in! I jacked the front of the car up a bit to “encourage” the air to go to the vent. Then fill the recovery tank, put your pressure cap on and go for a couple short drives. After a couple heating/ cooling cycles you should be good to go! Just keep an eye on levels.
    Good luck and have fun! Sten
    I run 50/50 Prestone BTW.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Dexcool red? The red stuff is really hard to detect when it gets in your motor oil. However I have some rust in my coolant when I take off the cap. I have a Windsor with aluminum heads and if Dexcool is the answer, I will replace the regular Prestone with Dexcool.

I don't buy pre mixed. I pour in the first gallon in straight into the filler, followed by a gallon of water. Then pour half of the next gallon into the empty container and fill them both with water. I mark those jugs as pre mixed. Now you can top it off. I put a bleeder on the heater hose fitting, but Steno has a great (easy) solution.

Is dexcool the right solution for our aluminum headed Windsors?
    Last edited by GSides9; 02-05-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: additional info
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GSides9 View Post
    Is Dexcool red? The red stuff is really hard to detect when it gets in your motor oil. However I have some rust in my coolant when I take off the cap. I have a Windsor with aluminum heads and if Dexcool is the answer, I will replace the regular Prestone with Dexcool.

I don't buy pre mixed. I pour in the first gallon in straight into the filler, followed by a gallon of water. Then pour half of the next gallon into the empty container and fill them both with water. I mark those jugs as pre mixed. Now you can top it off. I put a bleeder on the heater hose fitting, but JRL16 has a great (easy) solution.

Is dexcool the right solution for our aluminum headed Windsors?
    Dex-Cool will work with any engine, but you must thoroughly flush all the old coolant out. It will not mix with Prestone blue or green coolant. I would first drain and flush with clear water, then use a radiator flush and cleaner. Flush again with clear water and you won't have any problems, and it'll get rid of your rust.