Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trancas Cars & Coffee - Deep Pockets Trump Car Craftsmen

Post Thanks / Like

Trancas Cars & Coffee - Deep Pockets Trump Car Craftsmen

Maybe I am just too sensitive but this was a pretty negative experience for me.

Malibu is a great place to cruise to in California with several great car gatherings.

One of the more famous (Non Advertised) is the Trancas Market Cars & Coffee in Malibu on every first Sunday of the Month.

We finally got a chance to get together and make the early 55 mile trek to Trancas Market. If you are planning to find a descent parking spot plan on getting there by 6 AM.

We arrived at 6 AM and made our way to the back away from a cordoned off area with the only visible sign stating Pre 1973 only.

Here is a link to a review of the Cars & Coffee

https://petrolicious.com/articles/ca...rket-10-1-2017

Here the location and address.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tr...4d-118.8427863

Here is the crap-O-gram left in our roadsters. The only two replica roadsters in attendance.

Here is the row we were parked at and the only two to received the special guest message.

What would you do? I approached the gentleman who organizes the event and he stated that he himself placed the signs in our cars. Not open to discussion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 02-06-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would move on to another car gathering. I have owned a TR6 (in your pic) - not very special, I have not owned a Karmann Ghia (definitely not special or cool). You get to decide if you let someone else ruin your fun day.

Post Thanks / Like
    CDXXVII, I too would be not interested in patronizing those snooty left coast elitists (present company excepted), I think you rose above it by taking the high road (pun intended), and let them play amongst themselves with their idea of what constitutes a supercar. I have experienced snootiness in the NE, and I just gravitate to others who are more aligned with my type of fun and enjoyment. That guy's attitude reeks of jealousy and ignorance of the effort and dedication that actually goes into the construction of the Cobras. Should have put a plastic cover on the passenger seat and taken him for a bladder loosening ride. Non supercar, harrumph!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm confused.
    Did he not want your car in the show because it was a replica? Arent those a bunch of late model Porsches parked right next to you?
    The note seems very focused on not sharing any info on social media - was that his main purpose?
    Is it possible that others around you were regulars and already knew those rules?
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's not fun for you, don't go. If you'll dread the entire trip to the site fearing the (very unreasonable) unwelcome attitude, don't go. It sounds like future visits would NOT be enjoyable to participate. Find an enjoyable one, or just go as a spectator (with your Cobra). It'll get a lot of attention where ever it is. Beautiful Build, and glad to see the motor is back in and running good! Dave
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    His intent was pretty clear. He let me know that there was additional parking out back for cars that do not meet the “standards” originally set for this “special” car show. It really felt like it was a problem with replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    I'm confused.
    Did he not want your car in the show because it was a replica? Arent those a bunch of late model Porsches parked right next to you?
    The note seems very focused on not sharing any info on social media - was that his main purpose?
    Is it possible that others around you were regulars and already knew those rules?
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 02-06-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a Positive note, you're still TOPS in my book Marcel. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by boat737; 03-12-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with boat... BTW, I didn't see any Lampredi V12's there, so how special does he think he is?

Post Thanks / Like
    While I agree with the others who suggesting spending your limited free time where you and your awesome car will be more appreciated, it also looks like a public space. As such, they can't keep you from parking there. If you feel like it, grab even more of your friends and show up, park, grab a cup of coffee from the "sponsor's" market, and check things out.

As far as the rest of the cars, many of them look nice, but I didn't see a supercar in the bunch.

Let us know what you do moving forward.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I was the other participant in this with the blue FFR in the pic. It was an odd situation. As Marcel mentioned it was hard not to feel singled out. A friend of ours with a 2017 convertible corvette had parked directly adjacent the celebrity car area up front and he didn't get a flyer. Neither did any of the hoards of plain Jane late model Porsches. We had to wonder if the owner of the "real" Cobra who appeared to be a friend of the organizer was where the complaint originated. As Marcel said when we politely asked what was up the guy said "Yea, I PERSONALLY put those in your cars." Meh... just another self-important douche with a chip on his shoulder.

Frankly the dude's attitude was less of an issue than getting up at stupid o'clock in the morning just to get a parking spot in the same zip code. Some very nice cars there but that place filled up fast and ended up being more hectic than I enjoy with a lot of goofy driving by participants and passers by. That being said I intend to attend again and will park wherever I want. If another flyer shows up maybe I'll origami it into a schlong and sneak it into the organizer's car.

Mario

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    CDXXVII as a lifelong resident and fairly close neighbor of yours I can say that the last place you want to show your car is in Malibu. I have been to the Trancas Market gathering before and for the most part found them to be a little on the arrogant side. Not a place I would take my roadster to show. Just my 2 cents
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd let the sponsor know that his organizer is hurting his business. If the sponsor didn't provide an acceptable apology, I'd light the organizer up on twitter...and instagram...and facebook (though I 'd have to create an account)...and include the sponsor's information as well. No way I'd ever go back though, regardless of what the sponsor said; clearly these aren't car guys.

But I can be a vindictive SOB at times.

John

P.S. I had a similar experience at a climbing gym in Marin County (just north of San Francisco). Some snobs are just too big for their britches.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps a Replivasion is in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Marcel, grab Mario and come on out to breakfast this Saturday at http://www.maniac-mikes.com/. You'll see an nice collection of cars without the attitude.

Frank

Breakfast thread
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...256#post312256

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank

I really truly want to make it out your way for breakfast and to check out your shop. Unfortunately, I discovered my rear axle bearing seal has failed. I changed one side a couple years ago and I can't remember if the same side failed again. Non the less, way too far of a drive slinging gear lube. Hopefully all the parts get here this weekend and I can get the job done. I am going to change both sides this time just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Marcel, grab Mario and come on out to breakfast this Saturday at http://www.maniac-mikes.com/. You'll see an nice collection of cars without the attitude.

Frank

Breakfast thread
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...256#post312256

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally after being treated like that I’d be inclined to get every Cobra I knew to show up at the next one and put them on social media blast. Lol.
    The arrogance to have those forms pre printed is ridiculous!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I'd ever want to hang out with those guys again - at least they let you know who / what they are at the outset.

Though, I'm curious..... what was the guy who papered your car driving???
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    He sounds like an *** to me. From the pics I am not very impressed the vehicles I can see. Sure they are older cars but nothing special in my books. Definitely would not go back and really just appears to me a big waste of time.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Not sure I'd ever want to hang out with those guys again - at least they let you know who / what they are at the outset.

Though, I'm curious..... what was the guy who papered your car driving???
    I agree with Chris. Big "Cars and Coffee" can be fun, but impromptu gatherings (and the occassional organization), which I am looking forward to this spring, work for me.
    And, I've yet to meet one snooty person at these.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I think ......I think.....I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin.....I say put out in add for their "cars and coffee" to all VW and Fiero based kit cars with a value of no more then 12K......1k grand prize for the "ugliest duckling" and ....and... ah! Must do a (or try) Burnout upon entry of the parking lot! That's just off the cuff. A little more time and I could make it a real hoot ! ...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    A Thunder Run with as many guys as you can round up would go in there very nicely. Would then take all the we don't want no stink'N replica flyers staple them together & hang them in the porta-john for toilet paper.

Agree on the quality. We have an open C&C in Morrisville, NC 1st Saturday of the month. Nicer collection then the pictures of Trancas Market showed & it open to anything you can get there in.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess that I am lucky that Caffeine and Octane (https://www.caffeineandoctane.com/) is right in my backyard. Its a great event with all types of cars and no attitude that I have detected. If anyone is in Atlanta on the first Sunday of the month, make the effort to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I guess that I am lucky that Caffeine and Octane (https://www.caffeineandoctane.com/) is right in my backyard. Its a great event with all types of cars and no attitude that I have detected. If anyone is in Atlanta on the first Sunday of the month, make the effort to go.
    Jdav,

I'm curious whether you know Gary Dyck down your way?
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that I don't agree with a lot of the sentiment here but the cars you can see in the pic don't make up 1/10 of what's going on. Behind the VW bus in the pic is a small side lot where the high dollar stuff was parked. The list included the CSX3xxx, a 30's Lancia race car, Porsche 908 race car, a couple pre war coach built Bentlys, a matching pair of Ferrari 250 GT Lusso Berlinettas, Lamborghini 400 GT, a couple Mercedes 300sl roadsters, Jaguar XKSS, Maserati Sebring, and other very *****en cars I can't remember. In addition lots of high dollar super cars were littered around including some prototype stuff not yet for sale. It was actually a little uncomfortable to view as they had the cars jammed together in that area with barely enough room to walk. If one of them were mine I wouldn't have wanted to park in there. Be the time I wanted to take pics it was swarming with people. Screw that.

The picture Marcel posted (I actually took it) illustrates how we were NOT a part of nor interfering with that business. Also a bit later a couple of those cars left and a Koenigsegg Agera showed up and they wedged him right into the "special" car area. So much for his pre 1973 horsesh*t.

So whatever. Marcel and I will go if we feel like it. Perhaps as some have suggested we'll bring a bunch of friends. Mass cruise after Huntington Beach anyone?

Mario
    P.S. Thinking about doing the breakfast thing this sat. Might have a prior commitment though. Will see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Jdav,

I'm curious whether you know Gary Dyck down your way?
    I do not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I do not.
    I was just curious. He's a great guy and loves going to octane and caffeine events.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is just unbelievable. Lite him up on social media. It'll be a good time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    I agree with Chris. Big "Cars and Coffee" can be fun, but impromptu gatherings (and the occassional organization), which I am looking forward to this spring, work for me.
    And, I've yet to meet one snooty person at these.

Jay
    And a great Reuben sandwich thrown in to boot!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually a little surprised that a Cars & Coffee event has "rules" like that. Our local events get a huge variety of cars and that's one of the things I enjoy about it. Rat-rod pick-ups, military duece&half, vintage Firetrucks, hot-rodded Triumph Spitfire, etc etc. Besides the normal vintage, muscle car, VW, exotic, stuff.
    Yeah, I'd say he has a stick up his butt about something, his note is just evidence that he's an A$$. His comments about sub-standard and cool cars, just further demonstrates his character.
    Don't let him ruin your day. (although, I don't think I could walk away from his "challenge")
    I wonder if other participants have the same opinion?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is very unfortunate. I have yet to finish my build, and already feeling discouraged by going to any of these shows. Heck, the amount of time and money spend on my build, I am in a class on my own!

Like you bringing out a step child or half a** car that no one wants to see. Wrong, they are very special!
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep over this wanker one way or another. Have you ever gone to lunch with the Tri County Cobras in Oxnard? They just did a lunch and then a run last Saturday from Ventura to the Rock Store in guess where? Good bunch of guys.

Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be discouraged. What happened at Trancas is not the norm. Cars and Coffee events are supposed to be easy going and all inclusive. This particular organizer is just an unhappy jerk.

We take our roadsters out most weekends and for the most part get nothing but praise. Pretty much a given that on every outing you will get several thumbs up and tons of smiles. You will always run into the occasional snob but to the hell with them.

Sometimes at car shows it can be a little off putting because there really is not category for our cars. Even then, at the last show I received best paint which was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    That is very unfortunate. I have yet to finish my build, and already feeling discouraged by going to any of these shows. Heck, the amount of time and money spend on my build, I am in a class on my own!

Like you bringing out a step child or half a** car that no one wants to see. Wrong, they are very special!
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 02-07-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cars and Coffee is really a great gathering; the Trancas meet seems to be contrary to what I have experienced. The following quote is from the C&C Richmond Va website.

Cars and Coffee is an informal biweekly car show of car enthusiasts, of all kinds. It's not about the car you drive but about how much of a car enthusiast you are!

Broku518; don't be discouraged by the arrogant ringmaster at Trancas. Check out the C&C videos on Youtube. You'll see a number of great and varied cars; all with a common thread of attendees being car guys.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a deep breath and let it pass....

The few who own original GT-40's, Cobras and Porsche 356 Speedsters don't like reproductions, continuations or tributes. They don't like being asked if their $M+ investments are kits. They don't like to here people say, "Oh, my neighbor has one of those, but in red". Same goes for the owners of original steel body, original frame hot rods. It's just the way it is and if I were in their shoes, or tax brackets, I might feel the same.

Fortunately, I'm not building my MK-IV for their affirmation or approval. I'm building my car for the experience and my own satisfaction. I appreciate that there is a small forum community that understands the thought, planning and effort that goes into each assembly and/or modification but if you all were not out there I'd still be enjoying my build.

Please yourself, take satisfaction in your own accomplishments and go drive the wheels off your baby every chance you get.

My 2 cents.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you would have more fun turning it into a motorcycle show

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Yugo...

Yep....That's some "Hi-End" Stuff...I wonder if the "Yugo Guy" got a flyer. It looks like they welcomed him. And it also looks as though they've welcomed a Cobra Replica before.

https://youtu.be/I3IuxXNKNB8?t=4m49s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DadofThree; 02-07-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Just wow. Lots of great points listed here. As for me, I agree with Phileas that you should go - assuming you return - to the sponsor and show them the leaflet. I think I would be more interested in how they respond than what they actually do say. The sponsor may not care, but then again, they may not know what the organizer is doing. It just depends how much energy you want to expend on this one!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I am loving this thread! We are a community. Marcel, you need to blast out of that place and don't look back. Go to car shows where your brethren hang out, people that understand and appreciate what you've done. Screw that guy and his snooty get together. Besides, people that buy those cars don't understand them, they don't "FEEL" them, not the way you do when you spend countless hours laboring to build you dream car. Blood, sweat and tears Man! THATS what makes it matter.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Marcel,

I've been to quite a few Cars & Coffee's in quite a few different places and I'm thinking that this might NOT BE an "official" Cars & Coffee as the theme of those and every one I've been to is this quote from above: "Cars and Coffee is an informal biweekly car show of car enthusiasts, of all kinds. It's not about the car you drive but about how much of a car enthusiast you are!" These A-holes are NOT following the true meaning of the C&C organization at all.
    I also find it funny that they don't want Social Media coverage or public notices but have ALL the icons at the bottom of their web site, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook & Vimeo . . . looks like they are fully covered.
    I wouldn't give these guys ( or maybe just the organizer ) the time of day. I looked at the website and there are plenty of Hum-Drum cars allowed.
    You and your "perfect example of what a Cobra should look like" shouldn't waste your time and effort with these low-life types. Find a group that understands cars, not a bunch of pansie-assed creeps that probably don't know the first thing about their cars, get them repaired/serviced by experts for mucho $$$. These are the guys that would NOT know what to do if stuck on the side of the road except call AAA.

Just my 2¢ an not worth a plugged nickle . . .

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 02-08-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Marcel and Mario,

This kind of crap is just one more reason I'm glad we moved from CA to Las Vegas. The weekly Car Show on Eastern (which is right down the street from my house) welcomes EVERYTHING! No attitudes, no hype, no garbage, just a bunch of car guys and their cars. Everyone gets along and no one gives anybody crap. Put it behind you, and move on from those folks that obviously think they are too good to rub shoulders with the "likes of you".

There are better places to hang out. Like Las Vegas (LOL!).

Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast