FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Coupe Dash Question

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe Dash Question

Collective -

The one thing that I don't really love about the Coupe is the the way the dash anti-glare eyebrow looks. I REALLY like how Superformance solved it with a more modern looking dash, wrapping over the front.

Superformance Dash:
    Super Dash.jpg

Russ Thomson's option for the anti-glare is also attached, but not in love with that either. Has anyone come up with a mod for the Coupe that looks nicer that the stock eyebrow? Would love to see what some of you have done or are thinking about doing!

Thanks!
    brent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't disagree the Superformance version is a more modern DD look. I'm still in the very early planning stages of how I'm going to do my Gen 3 dash, but likely will have the brow piece incorporated in some way. For the record, not that it matters if that's not what you want, but the originals had something similar. Couldn't find a picture of the original dash with a quick search, but did find this one of what's supposed to be a copy.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-drive-s...7daytona-7.jpg
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Don't disagree the Superformance version is a more modern DD look. I'm still in the very early planning stages of how I'm going to do my Gen 3 dash, but likely will have the brow piece incorporated in some way. For the record, not that it matters if that's not what you want, but the originals had something similar. Couldn't find a picture of the original dash with a quick search, but did find this one of what's supposed to be a copy.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-drive-s...7daytona-7.jpg
    I even like that better than the FFR solution. I was thinking of running the eyebrow all the way across, or at least mocking something up to see how that looks. Thanks for posting that picture...I look forward to anything you come up with as well!!

Post Thanks / Like
    @EdwardB - I bet this is the picture you were looking for!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
    @EdwardB - I bet this is the picture you were looking for!
    Interesting how similar that is to the copy. Just a little rough around the edges. Thanks for posting.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my coupe, I made a two piece dash, with the top piece being made out of wood and covered over with vinyl. I had it over hang by about 1/2" to create a lip across the whole dash.

More details here:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post296959

Thanks.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Matt, I really like what you did. In fact, my morning is now shot as I'll be reviewing your entire build thread!

brent

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks like a great opportunity for some talented person to build a mold for a fiberglass dash top...

Observation: I don't know how big the "small" gages are as supplied by FFR. But it looks like they'd best be viewed from a position somewhere off to the side of the steering wheel. I think I'd put them in some angled bezels like the boat guys use. 2-1/16" is the typical size.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...iABEgLvVvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, not a bad idea. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to use the stock location as supplied by the FFR dash. Rather, I like those builds that have centered them in the console like @mtwarog above. Having that slight angle would certainly make a big difference in visibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa! Came across this randomly - THIS is amazing!!

11. Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dlirium;312559]Whoa! Came across this randomly - THIS is amazing!!

I agree. Whose car is that? More pics would be appreciated.

13. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone that is no longer active called "Detroit Kim". Here is the thread i saw it on...

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/21-ffr-...pholstery.html

brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Brent!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been designing away. Here is where I'm at. Note, the Gen 3 comes with a different set of gauges than the Roadster. There are only 6, and the 4 smaller ones are a bit larger than the 5 that come with the Roadster. The added section below would somehow house the A/C and heat controls, seat heaters, USB charger, and any switches I need. Blue circle is the headlight switch, red circle is the starter button. Also, the double dash lines represent the french stitching on the 1" rounded overhang. I've added a picture of what Mike E's stock dash looks like as well for comparison. Excused the cheezy powerpoint:

ppt concept.jpgMike Dash.jpg

Thoughts, suggestions? Paul, I think you could still fit a glove box :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is our take on the Coupe dash/interior. Yes we were inspired by early 60's vettes. 2018-01-12 12.59.37-LR.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ Forma View Post
    This is our take on the Coupe dash/interior. Yes we were inspired by early 60's vettes. 2018-01-12 12.59.37-LR.jpg
    Yeah, I’ve emailed you a couple of times now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
    I've been designing away. Here is where I'm at. Note, the Gen 3 comes with a different set of gauges than the Roadster. There are only 6, and the 4 smaller ones are a bit larger than the 5 that come with the Roadster. The added section below would somehow house the A/C and heat controls, seat heaters, USB charger, and any switches I need. Blue circle is the headlight switch, red circle is the starter button. Also, the double dash lines represent the french stitching on the 1" rounded overhang. I've added a picture of what Mike E's stock dash looks like as well for comparison. Excused the cheezy powerpoint:

ppt concept.jpgMike Dash.jpg

Thoughts, suggestions? Paul, I think you could still fit a glove box :-)
    I like what you did. A lot. Looks like you're ditching the brow piece. Understand. I've been thinking I want to leave the gauges on the separate piece and make it removable in order to get behind the dash for service. Removing the whole dash could be pretty challenging once the body is on. I know some put the dash above the body rather than under as the instructions show. That's another option. But cleaning it up and putting it one panel like you did is very interesting. My main suggestion to you is moving the headlight switch to that LH side I think could make some challenges. The switch is pretty big and the wiring and connector going to it are pretty heavy as well. It's already a packed area that also has the steering column you need to avoid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I like what you did. A lot. Looks like you're ditching the brow piece. Understand. I've been thinking I want to leave the gauges on the separate piece and make it removable in order to get behind the dash for service. Removing the whole dash could be pretty challenging once the body is on. I know some put the dash above the body rather than under as the instructions show. That's another option. But cleaning it up and putting it one panel like you did is very interesting. My main suggestion to you is moving the headlight switch to that LH side I think could make some challenges. The switch is pretty big and the wiring and connector going to it are pretty heavy as well. It's already a packed area that also has the steering column you need to avoid.
    Thanks Paul! Appreciate it. Yeah, good catch on the switch - I can probably move it next to the start button. I haven't mocked all that area up yet as you have, so still have to discover how cramped things are!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, sometimes lose track with whom we've communicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this which I have saved. I think it’s from the FFR #65 car. Doesn’t seem too hard to fabricate.
    EB8632A3-897C-44A0-84A3-B1922B41C339.jpeg