Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Québec safety Check, windshield wipers?

Post Thanks / Like

Québec safety Check, windshield wipers?

Hey guys,

I’m planing ahead for the inspection. I put a a/c in the car so the wiper motor would be hard to fit.

Any idea if clip on wipers on the top of the windshield would do the trick ?
    Last edited by Paquette173; 02-07-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you try to fit a mini space saver HVAC unit from summit racing # 01000-VUX-A

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what the inspection says for Quebec. It does not state the requirement of needing motorized wipers, so I would think that a clip on wiper would be sufficient. I always recommend talking to a local shop to see what they have to say about it. Please report back what you find out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan Valin
    Valin's Custom Cars, Inc.

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

Post Thanks / Like
    Clip on wiper might do the trick but you also need washers...

I don’t see how temporary washers can be installed. Nozzles on the wiper arms?

New builder/Fast learner myrtille2004's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got my MK4 roadster SAAQ approved and licensed. You will need motor wiper + windshield washer nozzles. Follow the guide “guide artisanal”, but be sure the inspector may raised additional minor items. Nothing major for me, but they where mainly looking for any safety items: all lights must be SAE stamped including 3rd light and backup light, seat belts to be FMVSS (Simpsons will not work), sidepipes to be fully covered (suggest cheap fibre tape around them). My own experience...
    MK4 on the road since summer 2018
    Kit order MK4 Base (Jul.2012)
    Mustang 94 Donor (Nov.2010)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's looking like the long arm of govt is sticking its nose in our business again. I don't know if this applies to Quebec yet, but last year in Alberta, Inspections went to a national standard. I wonder if that's the case there. I just got my Mk4 registered last year and got caught up in it. Had to jump through a lot more hoops to get my plates. The inspection garages are all paperless now and file their report with transportation electronically. All we get is a reference number for registries. You give this number to the agent and they read your inspection report.
    Here's a list of the extra things I had to comply with for national transportation standard. Wipers & washer, heater, marker lights, high 3rd brake light, back up lights, bumpers F&R, daytime running lights, clutch safety switch & 4 way flashers.
    So if this is what your province has also done, it's a challenge but it's do-able. The impression I got is the whole country will get to this eventually.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been in contact with my SAAQ consultant for the last 5 months (HIGHLY recommend that you do the same if you have not it saves A LOT of headaches in the end because you know what you need to get done) and he confirmed that two wipers are required that cover 80% of the windshield as well as sprayers. There are a bunch of other requirements like a front bumper that is required as well in quebec if the front tires are not covered by fenders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although a bit pricey, have you looked into marine wiper motors? They operate without linkage between 2 motors and use an electronic synchronizer to match movement and park. Sweep range is adjustable as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by conger View Post
    Although a bit pricey, have you looked into marine wiper motors? They operate without linkage between 2 motors and use an electronic synchronizer to match movement and park. Sweep range is adjustable as well.
    If you have a part number or other link to these I would like to see that (or are you thinking a wiper control box?). the only one i have found around here is at the Chandlery here in Ottawa: https://www.thechandleryonline.com/p...oducts_id=2223 there is another thats chromed thats a bit more expensive, would like to see how this can work, regardless these two would not contact each other once installed. THX!
    Last edited by AJT '33; 06-29-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0000AZ6GT/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I was thinking of these. The controller / synchronizer adds another $250 or so. Like I said. . . pricey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, Here in Quebec you need sprayers as well which really sucks as I will need to mount that in the trunk. Not sure how I will mount the pissers in the front either!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    Oh yeah, Here in Quebec you need sprayers as well which really sucks as I will need to mount that in the trunk. Not sure how I will mount the pissers in the front either!
    Go to your local junk yard and pull a set off just about any late 90's to mid 2000's GM product. They clip right onto the wiper stalk so you don't need to cut any holes or mount anything.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they are $5USD from summit if that's easier.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...YaAihkEALw_wcB

14. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    Looks like they are $5USD from summit if that's easier.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...YaAihkEALw_wcB
    Not sure how these mount, the ones I have seen sit on the body in front of the windshield which means a hole in the body or hood, yuck! Need to find a creative method that could clip onto the edge of the hood so I don't need or want any holes, then the hose can run down the inside of the hood as cleanly as possible. pump and reservoir will still be in the trunk. If anyone then please tell me!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They clip on/wrap around the wiper arm.

IMG_20180706_124107.jpg

You can then run the hose back down the arm to the pivot point and route from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    They clip on/wrap around the wiper arm.

IMG_20180706_124107.jpg

You can then run the hose back down the arm to the pivot point and route from there.
    The challenge with this will be how to route the hose as the wiper motor will be mounted on the hard top in m case as I am making it removable. That would mean that I would need to route the hose and figure out a way to disconnect it when removing the hard top. I have an idea of using the ld fashioned type of hard line sprayer where it could possibly route just under the hood and spray though the gap in the hood and the body. Even if I end up making a very small notch for it I think it could be possible to do. I will be fitting the nose cone and the hood starting this week so I will know if this is possible then. I appreciate the insight and if I end up with wipers from the bottom will definitely consider this.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a follow up to my previous post this is where I ended up with two marine wipers, I will add additional pictures once I am done assembling the car for inspection in a couple months.
    20181215_093146.jpg 20181215_093129.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myrtille2004 View Post
    Just got my MK4 roadster SAAQ approved and licensed. You will need motor wiper + windshield washer nozzles. Follow the guide “guide artisanal”, but be sure the inspector may raised additional minor items. Nothing major for me, but they where mainly looking for any safety items: all lights must be SAE stamped including 3rd light and backup light, seat belts to be FMVSS (Simpsons will not work), sidepipes to be fully covered (suggest cheap fibre tape around them). My own experience...
    What did you use as a windshield washer reservoir with pump? I am considering this one from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0400/overview/