Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote with oil cooler in nose

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote with oil cooler in nose

Did a search but could not find...
    I am thinking of installing the "old school" oil cooler in the conventional lower nose opening.
    Not being familiar with the Coyote (post '15); is there a special adapter that will need to mount to the engine or is it the same universal type after you remove the factory base cooler? Also, any special thermostats or sensors involved?
    I know it would be easier to remove the factory block attached cooler and spin the filter back on the block but, I really like the look of the original placement of the oil cooler in the nose.
    Also, is it necessary to utilize a remote oil filter or is there a base plate that you can mount to the block that will allow you to plumb to the cooler instead of a remote filter?
    Thanks in advance.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know the answers to your questions, but if it's just the look you are after, you could mount a power steering cooler in that spot (if you are running PS).
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Modular Motorsport Racing in Camarillo, CA sells a Coyote block adapter and oil filter relocation kit , part #403335 for $259. It comes with -10 AN fittings and hose. They have another kit for $400 that includes a cooler but the cooler is not the correct size. If you call them I'm sure they can get you the correct size and shape.

I bought the oil cooler kit from FFR before I did any research. It comes with rubber hose and some fittings. I tossed everything but the cooler. You can buy the cooler by itself anywhere.

You remove the Coyote oil filter adapter and replace with the MMR block adapter. Route the hose out of the motor, into the filter, out of the filter, into the cooler, out of the cooler and back to the block. You will relocate your oil pressure sensor from the original Coyote filter adapter to the MMR adapter. It's a different shape so you need to add a 45 or 90 degree fitting so the oil pressure sensor does not interfere with your water temp sensor.

The hose routing takes a little planning. I have a trunk mount battery. If you have your battery in the front you might need to route the hose differently from mine. There are a few photos in my build thread but its a hard area to photograph so I apologize in advance.

It works and I'm happy with it but just giving you a heads up that because the Coyote is so big there is very little unused space. Every modification seems to encroach on the space of three other systems.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t remember the specifics but about 6 months ago on the other forum a guy did massive damage to his motor and it had something to do with how he hooked up some lines to his coyote and I believe a remote filter. Not saying that is related to your question but go over to that forum and look in the coyote section and you should be able to find it. Not a ton of traffic in that section so it should not be hard to find. It had something to do with the adapter piece he used not lining up properly. Worth reading if you are doing anything non standard with the oil system.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on Scott's warning about making sure you have the right oil filter adapter. There is a difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Coyotes in this area, and using the wrong part will cause oil starvation and we all know what happens next. This is the thread where it was described and lots of details including the right and wrong parts to use: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/45-ford...ly-siezed.html.

Also, just an aside comment, for regular even aggressive street driving, the Coyote is a very cool running engine. It doesn't need the oil cooler in the nose. In fact, could make it run a little cool which isn't necessarily desirable. Maybe think about doing a power steering cooler instead? Or maybe just a dummy cooler and save all the adapters and lines. Sorry if that's sacrilegious. Just saying.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.
    I appreciate the experience and knowledge on this forum.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.
    After reading that article on the other forum; I am thinking that I will keep it as simple as I can. I might place a dummy cooler and a couple of lines in the lower nose for looks only.
    That was a painful read...

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil "Fooler" mount the cooler, run some dummy lines and call it done. why risk a perfectly good engine that really doesn't need an oil cooler? with the risk of any one of those fittings, hoses or cooler failing and the resultant engine failure... even a rock getting thrown into the cooler. why. I get it you want the "look" my $.02 make it fake. unless you are going full dry sump for racing its just added complication for looks.

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil cooler was disconnected on my car. Coyote ran too cool. Looks only now.
    FFR 7644 MK IV. Coyote 5.0, Boss 302 Intake, Tremec TKO600, 8.8 rear 3 link, 3:73, Koni's, Wilwood brakes, 17" Halibrands, Nitto NT555's, SS side-pipes. Velocity Red Mica, Dark Silver stripes. Painted striped dash. Heated Leather seats. Heat, defrosters, wipers. Hidden bluetooth stereo.
    A dream come true.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too installed the oil cooler kit from FFR but never connected it. The original intent was for the looks only. The Stainless hoses are run back along the drivers frame rail out of sight.

As for reports of damage from hooking up a remote filter, if you install the hoses incorrectly, the oil will be pumped backwards through the filter. Won't work and you wind up starving the engine of oil. Need I say more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the input.

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys,
    I sell a remote oil filter & Earls oil cooler. I'll model it on a Coyote next week and post photos.
    Mike Forte: Forte's Parts Connection / Framingham, Mass. 01702 / 508 875 0016 / [email protected] / fortesparts.com / Facebook Instagram: @fortespartconnection Est: 1981 dealing performance parts to build your dream car. A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge. Developer of the early Ford & FE Tremec and Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kits, external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions. Tremec Elite, FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Oil "Fooler" mount the cooler, run some dummy lines and call it done.

Chris AKA Gromit
    Thanks, Gromit - lost some coffee through my nose on this one.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    Thanks, Gromit - lost some coffee through my nose on this one.
    I stole that from someone I forget who. but to continue on the theme, someone standing in front of the car asks..... is it real? Answ: No the oil cooler is fake.

Gromit.