FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 11.65 rear brakes from FFR-Rotors not centered

Post Thanks / Like

11.65 rear brakes from FFR-Rotors not centered

I have installed the 11.65 rear brakes from FFR per the instructions but after getting them installed, even with the spacer that they included, the rotor does not seem centered in the caliper. Should I just go find more washers/spacers to try to get it centered or is there another option?

Brakes.jpg
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe you're good to go... i.e., you have a single piston pushing on the inside of the rotor with the "monkey arm" pulling the outside pad against the rotor. Without pressing on the brake pedal, is the inside pad free from the rotor and allows the rotor to spin with only slight rubbing or no rub at all? If yes, all good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to give that a try.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, if it rotates freely as it should... you're good. The whole thing (i.e,. piston and monkey arm) is free floating and self centering. The monkey arm can't press any harder than the piston side. The piston site pad would make contact first with the rotor and then the resistance from the inside will transfer to the monkey arm and give equal pressure to the outside. Hope that make sense.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark thank you so much. I can spin them pretty easily, but the pads do touch on both sides.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    disc pad always have light touch on the rotors.... on all cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    In searching old post for rear brake questions, I found this, and have question. I am working on the new '35 Pickup, but have the same FFR supplied rear suspension as you described. I have shimmed also to get the caliper to not rub on the rotors. But, when I get everything assembled, my rotor will barely move using a large wrench on the lug nuts.

Do you have the vented rotors, verses the solid used in most mustang applications? My supplied rotor is vented and 1.04", 26+mm, and I wonder if it is too wide for the caliper. The rotor is Chinese generic with only part no. 16248 on the box. So I have nothing to compare it to. I have to force the caliper/pads on with a rubber hammer, and it appears all the movement in the caliper is used up.

Any comments.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    SAME problem! I called tech support, and they told me to use Needle nose pliers to rotate the piston a half turn I think clockwise. Make sure that you have the "V" in the same position 6 and 12 o'clock

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though my brakes looked a little off center, the wheels actually rotated just fine. So per the instructions from the post above I just left them as is.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken, I wondered if the pistons were shipped fully retracted. I watched you-tubes of this, and I was surprised that you had to screw the piston back in, it does not just compress by hand like all the other's I am familiar with. I certainly believed the new calipers would be shipped fully retracted, but I hope that solves the issue.

Those caliper clips are another issue entirely.

Ralph