Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to remove front axle outer CV joint?

Post Thanks / Like

How to remove front axle outer CV joint?

Hi All,

I'm trying to remove the front outer cv joint. The manual simply says put in a vice and hit with a hammer. Does this remove everything from the end of the shaft so nothing is left there?

I've been at this for 30 minutes and it doesn't appear to be budging at all.

Any secrets?
    How long has this taken you?

Thanks
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure your axles are OEM subaru parts? Aftermarket axles can be very difficult to take apart and may not work with the FFR shafts.

OEM axles should come apart easily. Try cleaning away the grease to see if there is a locking clip.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some discussions I think buried in some of the early build threads. Here is a thread that I found that describes what I had to go thru. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...aft-(2006-WRX)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    There are some discussions I think buried in some of the early build threads. Here is a thread that I found that describes what I had to go thru. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...aft-(2006-WRX)
    Thanks for the info and the link. Good information.

I went the route of cutting it off as per the suggestion from Wayne Presley.

Thanks to all.
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to know you got it out. If anybody else comes across stubborn axles, search for "CV joint pipe trick" on youtube. The idea is to get a pipe just a wee bit bigger than the axle in diameter and somewhat longer (how much longer is probably not important). Stick the axle into the pipe and slam the joint down on the end of the pipe. The pipe will square up that spider cage and inertia will yank the axle and retaining clip right out. I had an SOB of an axle, wasted about an hour smashing it with a hammer. Didn't have a pipe, but I used one of the wheel bearing races propped up on my steel press plates and did basically the same thing. Half dozen or so hits and it was out, mangled clip and all. The other axle flew out first time with hardly any force. See a picture of the press and the race in my build thread, post 56. Just stuck the axle end through that. You can see the tarp I used to cushion the falling axles.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-thread/page2