Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Wilwood EPB Electric Power Brakes

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Wilwood EPB Electric Power Brakes

I asked about the Wilwood EPB setup, and it seems it will fit the same mount as the standard brake (MC-4)

Thank you for the inquiry with Wilwood Disc Brakes.
    Our EPB calipers have the same mount spacing and can use the same brackets as a kit originally configured for our MC-4 mechanical parking brake calipers.
    The big difference is going to be the size of the parking brake calipers themselves. The EPB’s are much longer due to their electric motors. You will need to see if you have space on your specific application to run one of these calipers.
    Caliper dimensions can be found on the kits Data Sheet: https://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds1353.pdf

compared to the MC-4 brake setup https://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl305.pdf
    it looks to be ~ 6mm deeper into the chassis which shouldn't affect any geometry

the retail price is steep ~1,100, but can be found on Jegs or Summit Racing for cheaper...

I do want to do the electric parking brakes - with the ESTOPP setup at $500 and modifications to fit, etc it would be another $150-200 and still use the cable setup...
    I think the EPB can be a cleaner install overall - granted a little more in price

anyone have these yet?
    Last edited by toadster; 09-08-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'd be the first on this forum. Give it a go and report back! I'd love to know how they work out, for a future build.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

3. Likes toadster liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be using these, just haven't bought them yet. They "should" clear the coilovers, but won't know for sure until I get them. Just "invested" in a new beer-brewer, so the parts budget is zero for a couple of months now.

5. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
    I will be using these, just haven't bought them yet. They "should" clear the coilovers, but won't know for sure until I get them. Just "invested" in a new beer-brewer, so the parts budget is zero for a couple of months now.
    agreed! I'm pretty sure it will work, I emailed Tony @ FFR to see if they've investigated them as well...
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like

finally pulled the trigger, I got a better deal going through Jegs, versus Summit Racing as Jegs has a $30 off over $750 deal and the taxes were about 1/2 of Summit Racing... came to just over $1k

in typical guy fashion, no directions - and I lined up the caliper and sighed, awww crud they interact with the springs

IMG_1178.jpg 62215144127__4A12754D-2B0E-4635-A46B-8C0C5310AE7D.jpg

so, I prayed the directions would tell me differently...

EPB CALIPER - Mount the EPB calipers per the installation instructions included with your specific Wilwood brake kit, reference
    Figure 3. EPB calipers are left and right handed, however they can be used on either side of the vehicle to best suit your specific
    application.

light bulb turned on, there is an offset that changes side to side , so I swapped sides - voila! They fit! They're close, but should have no issues!
    close-driver.jpg close-driver2.jpg close-driver3.jpg

here's both sides mounted - the new EPB calipers have 'wilwood' printed on them where the regular ones were blank...
    driver-mounted.jpg passenger-mounted.jpg

sorry for all the dust, shows you how much ash got into the garage the past few weeks with all the CA fires this month...

the Kit i ordered that fits the .81" rotors is 950-140-15978-BK
    if you want Red it will be 950-140-15978-RD
    Last edited by toadster; 09-18-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    Todd

8. Likes GTBradley, Blue Viking liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the pictures and info. While I had measured and checked against the listed dimensions, and had concluded that they would most likely fit, it is very nice to have it confirmed for sure before ordering. I think it will be a very nice addition to the car, and will add another level of theft protection in my opinion.

10. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Toadster, I didn't even know these existed. Awesome. How much do they weigh compared to the standard parking brakes?
    I am trying to keep the unsprung weight down. It would be nice to eliminate the parking brake on the tunnel of the coupe I am building.

12. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
    Thank you for the pictures and info. While I had measured and checked against the listed dimensions, and had concluded that they would most likely fit, it is very nice to have it confirmed for sure before ordering. I think it will be a very nice addition to the car, and will add another level of theft protection in my opinion.
    thanks! I agree! definitely have to swap sides to get the motors to fit - boy was I relieved!

Quote Originally Posted by Rsnake View Post
    Toadster, I didn't even know these existed. Awesome. How much do they weigh compared to the standard parking brakes?
    I am trying to keep the unsprung weight down. It would be nice to eliminate the parking brake on the tunnel of the coupe I am building.
    according to the Wilwood specs:
    the EPB is 4.9lbs
    the MC-4 is 3.3lbs

overall it's going to be lighter since you remove the parking cables, handle and if you were to do the ESTOPP or other powered brake setup that would add 'vehicle' weight, but not unsprung weight

it's about 1.6lbs heavier per rear wheel
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    I can live with 1.6 lbs per wheel. Going with a light forged wheel will make up for it.
    Thank you. I will be going with these.

15. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Rat2274 Tony stoped by to check the clearance on the setup - realized that with the plug - you need to remove the unit to install the plug, but it seems that I can zip tie the wires for clearance ��������

97145A91-EB20-4876-B098-4568B405CF59.jpg 5351BD6D-AF38-4DD4-9247-9650CFFEA647.jpg

really high quality kit!!

also nice switch for the pb
    774C899C-0976-477A-AF4F-C2BED7A2928B.jpg
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Toadster, after looking at your photos I am concerned about running a lot of negative camber and the clearance to the spring. How much negative camber are you currently running? Hard to tell from the photos.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s the basic irs setup from the manual - prior to any rear alignment
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting, looking forward to seeing the end result. For my Mustang restomod, I have the Wilwood rear setup for my 9 inch solid axle with the integrated drum type parking brake. Like you described, the E-brake with PB handle and cables likely approaches $800, so the Wilwood EPB is not that much more. I saw the EPB product a few months ago, but Wilwood could not guarantee they would work with my existing setup. I was hoping they would make a adapter bracket to mount the EPB calipers, not yet. I can position them to the front side of the rotor and avoid spring interference. If necessary, I will make my own brackets. This approach is so much cleaner than dealing with a parking brake lever and cabling.

20. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates on the install of the Wilwood EPB?
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Being an OEM deal for Wilwood we have these kits available. I have it for the new 13" IRS 4 piston rear kit and developing kits for 13" big 4 piston live axle, 12.2 live axle 4 piston and my pinion park brake kit for my 4 piston 15" wheel kit for the new IRS.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Alan, Wilwood will not develop the brackets to run the e-park calipers on the liver axle kits. I think my 12.2 dynalite 4 bracket will work on any of the 12.2 comp kits Wilwood makes. It really won't work with the drum park brake system as the caliper mounting bracket is different than the competition kit mounting brackets.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    @Rat2274 Tony stoped by to check the clearance on the setup - realized that with the plug - you need to remove the unit to install the plug, but it seems that I can zip tie the wires for clearance ��������

97145A91-EB20-4876-B098-4568B405CF59.jpg 5351BD6D-AF38-4DD4-9247-9650CFFEA647.jpg

really high quality kit!!

also nice switch for the pb
    774C899C-0976-477A-AF4F-C2BED7A2928B.jpg

That is exactly what I did, zip tied them the other way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might end up doing this, good to see it fits the IRS . I am pretty unhappy with the MC-4 clamping force with lokar handle. With the handle pulled as hard as I can pull it I can still push the car on flat ground, not much of a parking or emergency brake.

Can anyone post pictures of the clearance with their car on the ground and camber set? It seems pretty close, although I guess the pictures being shared here are at full droop which should be similarly close to the coilover as full compression and the clearance looks fine

26. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post