FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions about welding the axle tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Questions about welding the axle tubes

Hi Guys,

I am to the point where I can weld my axle tubes to the center section. I have been planning on doing this for awhile, however I started reading some stuff on the internet and now I have mixed feelings about doing it. I know the advantage of welding the tubes is that they won't rotate under torque. As far as disadvantages that I've been reading: potential to cause the tube to get out of alignment due from the heat, potential for the axles or center section to crack right where the weld is. As I understand it with my limited welding experience, it is difficult to get a strong weld between cast and steel. Today, I took my axle to a local machine shop and they were steering me towards not welding the axles. They said they can do it, but can't guarantee it will help or hold up. The plug welds in my housing still look good. I am planning on having a 400hp engine, although it could potentially be upgraded to 450hp. Is it worth it to weld the tubes? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t think the tube was cast. I do not believe it needs to be welded on the other side.
    That being said I do think it would be strong enough without being welded because of the notch.

Just my 2 cents worth

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, unless you plan to do drag race launches on slicks the "fuse" will be the tires---in other words I do not see much potential for axle housing failure on street tires.

Jeff

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is a Ford 8.8 then yes, it is worth it to weld the axle tubes to the cast steel. I did mine but there is a specific process I use to ensure a quality end product. A machine shop or welding shop that is not familiar with the correct process will likely not provide you with good results. You need a fixture to prevent the axle tubes from warping from the heat. It requires 99% Ni rod and to use a procedure that minimizes the heat affected area and stress relief of the weld between passes while the weld is cooling. If you rush the job or use the wrong material or no fixture you will likely not be happy with the results. If you hear that dreaded "tink" when welding or while it's cooling you will have to grind out the weld and start over as you just created a crack from rushing the work or using the wrong filler.

Post Thanks / Like
    I welded mine. Mine was a donor that had grease coming through the joint. After welding I then had to grind away some of the weld to get the banana bracket to fall in place. I just took my time and tried to keep down the heat while doing opposite sides of the tube to minimize deflection. I did it because I had grease coming through the joint. Otherwise, I wouldn't have touched it.

8.8 Rear Album

IMG_2167 - Copy by D. R., on Flickr

IMG_2227 by D. R., on Flickr
    Last edited by DadofThree; 02-08-2018 at 09:47 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    IMO, unless you plan to do drag race launches on slicks the "fuse" will be the tires---in other words I do not see much potential for axle housing failure on street tires.

Jeff
    Going to agree, a waste unless you're building a hardcore drag car. This is the axle used in millions of 3600# or heavier Mustangs, you don't hear of Ford having any come back problems with them. These cars are over a 1000# lighter, going to take some serious power and tires to cause a problem.
    Last edited by rich grsc; 02-08-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Moser 8.8 that I had to get narrowed by 1" on each side to get the FFR halibrand style 18" rims/tires to tuck under correctly(different offset/backspacing than the 17" with the same size tires). It should have been an easy job..took out the axle and had a local shop do it on their jig. New custom axles were put in. Well, something must have happened during the process(dropped?), because I had a gear fluid leak from my passenger side where the tube meets the center section area. It was pain to weld...getting a clean weld since there is fluid on the inside contaminating the weld. Even with it drained, couldn't get a good weld. Had to put a torch on the area to be welded to burn off the residual fluid, then weld. So far, no leaks but this is the spot where it was leaking from.

For those saying not to weld, what is the other option to seal so fluid won't leak between the junction of the axle tubes and housing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I was building one of these cars, I'd get a 9 inch Ford rear end to start with. Then you'd have welded tube and no iron center. You can buy them made to fit the donor cars that the 8.8 rear ends come from. Then add some Wilwood brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    If I was building one of these cars, I'd get a 9 inch Ford rear end to start with. Then you'd have welded tube and no iron center. You can buy them made to fit the donor cars that the 8.8 rear ends come from. Then add some Wilwood brakes.
    That's a thought, but it seems much more complicated and expensive. If going that route, it may be cheaper and easier just to get the IRS in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Going to agree, a waste unless you're building a hardcore drag car. This is the axle used in millions of 3600# or heavier Mustangs, you don't hear of Ford having any come back problems with them. These cars are over a 1000# lighter, going to take some serious power and tires to cause a problem.
    This is something I was kicking around in the back of my mind to. Wasn't this axle also used in Ford trucks and explorers?
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 02-09-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments and advice guys. I'm really leaning towards not welding them now. I don't have any leaking issues (that I can tell) and the current plug welds look really good. I have no plans of running drag radials, and may only go down the drag strip a few times. And bonus of not doing it is that my banana bracket will still fit without grinding (not that that's a big deal). And then to top it off, it sounds like if I want to do it right, I'm going to need to find someone that knows what they are doing. The local welders I talked to yesterday have a lot of experience, but I don't think they've dealt with one of these axles before...so they probably aren't the guys I should choose, if I were to do it.

If anyone else has anymore advice, keep it coming. I'll take anything into consideration.
    Serial #9158

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing complicated about using a 9 inch, but it's not cheap. The kit comes with everything you need, except the differential, but that can run $1200-1600, with a good posi unit.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ng,291310.html

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...nter%20section

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest a little more research. I think someone makes a bracket that goes between the banana bracket and the original upper center 4 Link that may be a good compromise Its a minor concern of mine that the torque load in the stock 4 link setup used the pumpkin and both axle tubes and now its all taken up on just the axle tube on one side. I know someone over in the 33 side had the used 8.8 the plug weld failed and the tube did twist. I would think about the what is the worst that can happen and work to minimize that possibility.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...t-Is-it-needed

Just my $.02
    Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    I would suggest a little more research. I think someone makes a bracket that goes between the banana bracket and the original upper center 4 Link that may be a good compromise Its a minor concern of mine that the torque load in the stock 4 link setup used the pumpkin and both axle tubes and now its all taken up on just the axle tube on one side. I know someone over in the 33 side had the used 8.8 the plug weld failed and the tube did twist. I would think about the what is the worst that can happen and work to minimize that possibility.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...t-Is-it-needed

Just my $.02
    Chris AKA Gromit
    Thanks Chris... I did just order the VPM 3 link brace about 2 hours ago. So I have that part taken care of.

http://www.vintageperformancemotorcars.com/
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Thanks Chris... I did just order the VPM 3 link brace about 2 hours ago. So I have that part taken care of.

http://www.vintageperformancemotorcars.com/
    Very, very nice high quality part; fits & works perfectly.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.