Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brian's Northern CA Gen 3 Coupe Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    "5. Drive side engine hoist bracket WILL RUB. Remove as many shims as possible."

I heated that bracket with an oxy-acetylene torch and bent it, to get clearance., which certainly helped.
    Paul caught me before i made it that far, luckily. Thank you, Paul.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

2. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI Added pricing to my parts list, in my original post. I'm noticing a TON of budget builds or those wanting to build with budgets. Check out my parts list and make sure this is for you. It adds up VERY quickly... This doesn't include required tooling, things that didn't work or fit, duplicates, spares, back ups, lol.... etc!
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    FYI Added pricing to my parts list, in my original post. I'm noticing a TON of budget builds or those wanting to build with budgets. Check out my parts list and make sure this is for you. It adds up VERY quickly... This doesn't include required tooling, things that didn't work or fit, duplicates, spares, back ups, lol.... etc!
    Out of curiosity, how much are you budgeting for paint? Are there any other purchases you haven't made that you expect to make? Just trying to get a feel for a real build estimate.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mswisher View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much are you budgeting for paint? Are there any other purchases you haven't made that you expect to make? Just trying to get a feel for a real build estimate.

Matt
    Hey Matt. Good question! I work in Collision (I run a major bay area MSO) so paint will be pretty inexpensive for me. My background is body tech, so I'll do all the body work and trimming and fitting. Raw materials I'm guesstimating to be in the $3k range. A gallon of Rage Extreme Filler, tons of sandpaper, and 3 stage Nitrous Blue. Obviously this is a no labor price.

Also, interior. I ordered some really *****in' vinyl wrap for my dash and some other accent vinyls. Depending how they look I ***MAY*** do the interior myself, otherwise I was quoted $2500, but that included redoing my seats to match as well.

I would say if you can do NONE of the work yourself, interior is a solid $2-3,000 depending on complexity. I'm keeping it simple, like the original car was. Paint I'd budget $7-10K. Easily. There's probably 150-ish hours of REAL TIME in the fitment, prep and actual paint. Clearly I'm a bad thermometer since I'm doing it myself, but that's my 2 cents. I'm sure some one will chime in with their paint receipts.

Also keep in mind... several items in my build are upgrades and not mandatory. A donor car will save tons. I plan to resell the car so everything will need to be tip-top and second to none to fetch a high dollar.

Let me know if you have lingering questions after all that... Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    Hey Matt. Good question! I work in Collision (I run a major bay area MSO) so paint will be pretty inexpensive for me. My background is body tech, so I'll do all the body work and trimming and fitting. Raw materials I'm guesstimating to be in the $3k range. A gallon of Rage Extreme Filler, tons of sandpaper, and 3 stage Nitrous Blue. Obviously this is a no labor price.

Also, interior. I ordered some really *****in' vinyl wrap for my dash and some other accent vinyls. Depending how they look I ***MAY*** do the interior myself, otherwise I was quoted $2500, but that included redoing my seats to match as well.

I would say if you can do NONE of the work yourself, interior is a solid $2-3,000 depending on complexity. I'm keeping it simple, like the original car was. Paint I'd budget $7-10K. Easily. There's probably 150-ish hours of REAL TIME in the fitment, prep and actual paint. Clearly I'm a bad thermometer since I'm doing it myself, but that's my 2 cents. I'm sure some one will chime in with their paint receipts.

Also keep in mind... several items in my build are upgrades and not mandatory. A donor car will save tons. I plan to resell the car so everything will need to be tip-top and second to none to fetch a high dollar.

Let me know if you have lingering questions after all that... Good luck!
    Thanks. I figured about 10k for paint/body work. Good to know my 'swag' of 60-70k for a similar build is close enough to plan to.

P.S. I'm also in NorCal (Pleasanton area), I would be interested to see this when/if your open to visitors.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mswisher View Post
    Thanks. I figured about 10k for paint/body work. Good to know my 'swag' of 60-70k for a similar build is close enough to plan to.

P.S. I'm also in NorCal (Pleasanton area), I would be interested to see this when/if your open to visitors.

Matt
    I think that's a safe budget. Keep in mind... the build isn't slow but takes time. If you'd told me my current budget would have been $50k+ up front, I would have done something else or bought a GT350R, lol. But it comes in waves so it's been easy to expand the budget some what slowly. Hopefully you have a good CC that rewards you with lots of miles.

Always open to making new friends, Matt! I'll shoot you a PM with my number so we can get together. There's a Cars and Coffee the 3rd week of April and I'm hoping to have the car in Go-Kart mode by then so people can check it out! Chat with you soon.

Post Thanks / Like

***SMALL UPDATE - Also some hurdles***

So I had a little time this weekend to make some headway and of course I learned a few things!

So originally I assumed the fitting, trimming and body work would be the longest part of this entire process... now I'm looking forward to being MOST at home, because that's my wheel house. I would now say the header installation probably takes the most patience and time, up to this point ( I was kidding about the body work being quicker). My lord... the fit is TIGHT and some bolts have only enough access for 1/8 to 1/8 of a rotation at a time. Get a padded creeper and get comfortable. That said, with them installed, pretty happy about the new look for the kit. It's finally coming together as a Go-Kart!

Advice:

• Remove the alternator on the driver's side. Header doesn't fit with it installed. I left one header stud at the back of each head to hang the headers. In hind site, this worked out very well as it allowed me to pivot the front of the header into place and begin inserting header bolts. Take your time. Don't cross thread. Walk away when you get frustrated. You'll most likely want a hand, but even your wife or kids can help here. Often the headers need to be lifted and lowered from the edges of the collector to get the bolt started.
    • Get a nutsert riveter if you don't have one, it's SO handy. The radiator upper mount is also removable now with the nutserts, just in case it needs to be taken out. Looks clean and makes sense!
    • Remove interior pieces to install transmission plate. It doesn't slide into place, but it can be slide easily with some interior panels removed.

Hurdles:

• Drive line is wrong. The bolt holes aren't large enough to get rear end flange bolt through. Already emailed FFR.
    • Transmission rubs cross member above the shift. Open to suggestions here. The tunnel is too tight. The mount has two kind of layers but it doesn't seem it'll do it's job if I remove the upper layer. Anyone?

Pics of the install (more to follow tonight):

Headers01.JPG

Placed interior items to confirm everything is in the right place. I'll take some photos of the wedged in trans tonight. More to come soon.

Interior01.JPG

As I sort the hurdles I mentioned I'll be installing the battery and tray, though I haven't decided on a final resting place for it. I will most likely install as FFR recommends and add some leads for a jump start some where accessible but hidden. I'd like to get the car fired this month, so next steps are to finish cooling system, intake, brake lines (and bleed), clutch (and bleed) and gauges installed. Once that's done and I hear her purr, I can begin running my heater items, plumbing AC, running body harness, etc. Then it's onto body!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't seen the other thread about T56 Magnum transmission fitment in a Gen 3 Coupe, the findings are thus: the FFR manual shows the trans mount adapter steel plate going on top of the frame mount points, but for the T56M it should go BELOW them to gain the needed clearance for the larger-than-TKO-sized T56M transmission. It will lower the transmission enough to make it clear. If you run IRS out back, it will not have any negative impact on your pinion angles in the driveshaft to the rear end.

EdwardB can confirm with photos/personal experience on the T56 in Gen 3 Coupe fitment.... I'm just studying for my own build and have well organized notes on the subject
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    If you haven't seen the other thread about T56 Magnum transmission fitment in a Gen 3 Coupe, the findings are thus: the FFR manual shows the trans mount adapter steel plate going on top of the frame mount points, but for the T56M it should go BELOW them to gain the needed clearance for the larger-than-TKO-sized T56M transmission. It will lower the transmission enough to make it clear. If you run IRS out back, it will not have any negative impact on your pinion angles in the driveshaft to the rear end.

EdwardB can confirm with photos/personal experience on the T56 in Gen 3 Coupe fitment.... I'm just studying for my own build and have well organized notes on the subject
    That was going to be my solution if there wasn't one. I'm surprised I haven't caught that yet as I read up pretty often. Easy fix... Thanks Logan!

Post Thanks / Like

***kit car sold before completion***

It's definitely with a heavy heart I write this post. Unfortunately, life kind of handed me a large deck of cards this last year. Surgery. My daughter's birth. My oldest daughter's diminished mental health. It's been a lot. My OCD also doesn't allow me to tear through the task very quickly as I modify and replace and change out kit parts...

SO, I made the very decision to sell it. A retired gentleman in the Sacramento Area picked it up on Sunday and has the time and means to complete it. I'll try to post pictures when he does so as we plan to keep in pretty close touch! That way this thread wasn't a complete waste of time.

I appreciate all those who tuned in... Thank you everyone for your input, help and general cordial demeanor during my short time here. It really was fun and has been a pleasure.

God Bless, all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man, sorry to hear about all the things going on leading up to the decision! Now that you have a taste of the build, maybe we'll see another one in progress from you when life settles down
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm DEFINITELY not saying goodbye... just see you later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally understandable. As life priorities go, this is a low one. It's cool you can follow your build. Goes without saying we get emotionally invested in these things. My #7750 Roadster build had a similar situation. I bought it from a guy that didn't want to see it go, but didn't have a choice. He really appreciated that I stayed in touch and sent pictures of the completed build.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Totally understandable. As life priorities go, this is a low one. It's cool you can follow your build. Goes without saying we get emotionally invested in these things. My #7750 Roadster build had a similar situation. I bought it from a guy that didn't want to see it go, but didn't have a choice. He really appreciated that I stayed in touch and sent pictures of the completed build.
    Agreed. I'm really looking forward to seeing it all done. It was hard packing it up yesterday...

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m very sorry about your situation. Sending well wishes and good thoughts. If you are ever in SoCal and need a fix, PM me, you’re welcome in my garage any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    I’m very sorry about your situation. Sending well wishes and good thoughts. If you are ever in SoCal and need a fix, PM me, you’re welcome in my garage any day.
    Thank you sir! Much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Daytona delay

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    It's a relatively new feature from Factory Five. Not sure how many finished builds there will be.
    . Is there any way to motivate someone who knows what they’re doing to cruz out to Santa Cruz County, possibly?? I’m Building the daytona coupe and stalled out at electrical. I planned on the 302 with a tkx but Covid changed my plans…I changed my driveline to a 1994 mustang cobra and tremec t5 craigslist special. Mostly everything else is fished: IRS, brakes, gas tank, front suspension, panels that should be there, and she’s sitting on the ground. With a set of wheels and tires, begging to contour hwy 1.

Let me know, I’d like to share notes with a buddy or graciously ask for some guidance .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by California Rookie View Post
    . Is there any way to motivate someone who knows what they’re doing to cruz out to Santa Cruz County, possibly?? I’m Building the daytona coupe and stalled out at electrical. I planned on the 302 with a tkx but Covid changed my plans…I changed my driveline to a 1994 mustang cobra and tremec t5 craigslist special. Mostly everything else is fished: IRS, brakes, gas tank, front suspension, panels that should be there, and she’s sitting on the ground. With a set of wheels and tires, begging to contour hwy 1.

Let me know, I’d like to share notes with a buddy or graciously ask for some guidance .
    You included a quote from me that was 5+ years old and was about chassis height. Not sure what it has to do with your problem statement.

Sorry to hear your build is stalled. You'd be better off starting a new thread with your situation. Rather than going off topic with an old thread. There are options for getting help.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123