Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian's Northern CA Gen 3 Coupe Build

Post Thanks / Like

Brian's Northern CA Gen 3 Coupe Build

AND IT BEGINS!

Wow, I'm so excited! Thanks to those I've already been in touch with, and those who have reached out. My order is sent and my anticipated arrival date is during the first week of may. We are closing Escrow on a new home, so it gives me some move in, settle in time! I secured my donor for major parts (to simply the CA registration process) a little while back. If you'd like the info on the donor, click here: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Donor-Secured!

FYI I went through and added pricing. It's pretty relevant as my "budget" when I began was $30k. Some of these prices I received a discount on or am a vendor for, but this is FAIR MARKET PRICING on all this... in other words, what most people pay. You may get a deal on some items, I get it. I just want people to have a scope of this investment. It's no small chunk. I'll do my best to keep this accurate as I add to the build. Some items (fuel system) were added as a whole number but pieced together. This DOES NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING. Hahah... I believe it was $2000 flat to CA. Please PM if you have a question about any of this.

From Factory Five:
    65 Daytona Coupe Base Kit - $16,999
    Gloss Black Chassis - $499
    Body Cut Outs - $149
    Adjustable Lower Control Arms - $450
    28 Spline Driveline - $385
    3 link rear suspension upgrade - $850
    Ceramic Headers (4:1) - $ 825
    GPS Gauges - $425
    Carpet Kit - $325
    Leather Steering Wheel - $125
    Coyote Install Kit - $475
    Coyote Steering Rack - $1150
    Front Sway Bar - $240
    Battery Cut Off - $85
    Chassis Harness - $499
    Custom Coyote Harness - $1300
    Heater/AC/Defroster - $1550
    Hi-Back Aluminum Race Seats - $650
    Retractable 4-Point Harnesses - $250
    2012 BOSS 302 "Road Runner" Engine (Forged 444hp) $11,000 shipped
    Red Key Flash for ECU - $350
    Tremec T56 Magnum - $3300
    Custom Intake for Coyote - $120
    2016+ Coyote Starter- $165
    McLeod RST Twin Disc w/28ls flywheel - $1050
    HydroMax Hydrualic Slave Kit - $650
    3.55 Track Lock w/Posi - $800
    Strange 5 lug axles - $250
    SVE Cobra Big Brake Kit - $750
    New OEM Tank - $300 painted
    Walhbro 255 fuel pump - $100
    Holley Sniper Fuel System - $350
    Tilton Tri-Resevoir - $120
    SVE Gloss Black FR500 Staggered 18x9 and 18x10.5 w/Nitto NT05 - $2200

Grand Total: $49,235

Lots of extras and plans and fun additions to the build... but obviously a long way off. So wish me some luck and I'll keep you updated once the build begins! Feel free to reach out and comment as this progresses. I always love feedback, praise and hopefully there isn't much need for criticism!

Oh - If anyone has a Coupe in Northern CA and wouldn't mind me checking it out, PLEASE reach out!

INDEX:
    PAGE 1 - Build sheet, changes, arrival, fuel tank, rear end/3 link and index!
    PAGE 2 - Front suspension, sway bar, brakes, engine prep, pedal install
    Last edited by TheBabyBadger; 03-27-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: INDEX ADDED! Pricing Added!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff Brian, Welcome - looking forward to coming over and seeing it live!!

brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the order! It sounds like you got a good plan together. I was starting to think I'd be the only one with a solid axle Gen 3.

I'm in the East bay and just started on my build in November. It's mostly still just a frame surrounded by boxes but your welcome to come check it out if you're in the area and interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
    Great stuff Brian, Welcome - looking forward to coming over and seeing it live!!

brent
    Brent, that offers good for you too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hell yeah man! Maybe I can still back out if it scares me....?

Mine should move along quickly. I'm hyperactive and tend to get bored quickly. Working on my motor build currently. I've got some guys in Road Island who are going to build me a nice 331.

Do you guys happen to know if there are ANY issues running an aftermarket pan? A canton was suggested to me for increased baffling. Thanks!
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuftster View Post
    Congrats on the order! It sounds like you got a good plan together. I was starting to think I'd be the only one with a solid axle Gen 3.

I'm in the East bay and just started on my build in November. It's mostly still just a frame surrounded by boxes but your welcome to come check it out if you're in the area and interested.

Brent, that offers good for you too.
    Thanks, yes - that's a must. Still crossing my fingers for delivery this month..may slip into the first week of March.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post

Do you guys happen to know if there are ANY issues running an aftermarket pan? A canton was suggested to me for increased baffling. Thanks!
    From what I've read and understand, most guys do go with something like a Moroso oor a Canton. Here is a picture of one on a Coyote that clears everything nicely from Paul's (EdwardB) coupe build thread:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...0&d=1518656847

brent

Post Thanks / Like
    I do love his build thread! Planning to run a Canton. Creb engineering is building my motor. Anyone know of them!? Feedback? Seem very legit and they are very familiar w/ FFR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot me a PM when you guys are ready.

Post Thanks / Like

***progress***

Finally an update! OMG I feel like I've been gone for months! Or have I...?

I know all anyone wants to see are the pics, so I'll be brief here. I scored a 2012 BOSS Mustang 302 rather than a run of the mill Coyote. This motor is nicknamed the "Road Runner" for those not familiar. 7500RPM redline (that makes power to 8,000RPMS!). It makes 444hp through mufflers and cats. They are hand built. Have the Ford Racing R heads (better oil drainage). Sodium filled valves. Etc and Bunches more... if you're not familiar, Google them!

Currently Eric Brooks of Brooks Speed is working my ECU to delete PATS and the emissions related functions. Putting a mild tune, that should net me a few ponies, easily in the 460 engine hp range. I'll tune later, but am toying with the idea of installing cams from Power By the Hour. They made 470WHP with JUST CAMS! Anyway... side note.

T56 Magnum (Brand Spankin' new) with a 2.66 first. Tri Ax shifter.

McCleod RST Twin Disc good for 800 ponies.

McCleod Lighter (20lbs) flywheel. Should retain street manners and rev like a sum-b*tch.

HotWireAuto is building me a harness from my OEM harness. Because I basically got the entire running gear, ecu, column, maf, etc from my engine vendor, the custom harness was cheaper than the Ford Racing pack, and I got a custom tune.

A SPECIAL SHOUT OUT to my new buddy Erik at Midway Mustang in Dewitt, Iowa. He's not a vendor so I wont directly link him, but if you're motor shopping this guy is NAILS. He sells CLEAN motors from good wrecks and will take care of you after purchase. He's easy to reach, fairly priced, and wont leave you hanging like some will. He also has some INSANE cars he buys and parts... so you can get Twin Screw Roush donors, Saleen, SHELBY, etc. I'm sure I've plugged him enough, but just really appreciate good people out there as they seem to be on the decline, unfortunately.

So that's where I'm at. Kit is still coming Mid-May, and I am JUICED. When it arrives I'll update with my complete parts list and more. I've got 95% of my build and everything else on the way for the ins-and-outs, small items, etc. The Devil is in the details, right?!?!?

AND WITHOUT FURTHER STALLING - PICS:

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

More updates when the kits arrives!

God Speed and God Bless!

10. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very cool - nice score on the motor!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    AND...... there goes the original plan before the kit arrives. Nice engine, will be a cool build.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    AND...... there goes the original plan before the kit arrives. Nice engine, will be a cool build.
    David W
    I think about 27 original plans have gone out the window so far... they seemed to be directly tied to my "budget." Which now seems to be a unicorn as well. Oh well... You only live once. I've been blessed with some increases I didn't expect at work, thus the modifications, and I'm not exactly complaining!

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

More Goodies.... COYOTE INSTALL EXTRAS

Couple more goodies showed up!

Also, I just got off the phone with Factory Five for an update and confirmed a May 12th completion date! JUICED! So I should be putting my hands on the chassis by the end of the Month! Enjoy the photos!

OH... I thought I should mention: If you're considering installing a Coyote, DOWNLOAD THE INSTRUCTIONS. There is a PLETHORA of additional parts you need, even beyond the control pack. My current tab is just over $3k but I'm doing this all by the book and correctly. This was an expense I didn't budget for in my original change from my original plan (LOL), so I figured I'd put it on the table. Still, IMHO, well worth it, but there is definitely a considerable expense to do newer Ford Motors. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need specifics or ask here. This is my first KIT but I've EXTENSIVE car experience and I'm happy to share all figures, plans, money spent, etc. ENJOY!

At this point I should throw my buddy Mark a bone, too! He owns NorCal LSX and is not only a GURU on everything engine related, he is a T56/TR6060 genius. He drops ships and is easy to reach. All legit and on the up and up. PM for contact info as again, he is not a registered vendor, but he is a bad azz co-conspirator to have in your corner.

If you're on the WEST COAST and need paint, and don't want to be ripped off or gouged (and I'm not saying most shops will)... I'm the man you need to talk to. I'll (have my painter) paint something I don't even need to show you his skill! Always feel free to reach out or PM me. Thanks!

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

Here's a shot of my C5. No cutting or rubbing. PPG base and Production Clear. Custom color 50/50 Jet black/pure black. Custom drop coat (washed out). I painted this one, and it was a complete color change, so it's not as good as my tenured painter... but it's still better than a lot of the paint jobs I see out there (not so much on the forums).

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    is that a front sump oil pan? if so I don't think it will fit in the new Gen 3 frame, there are 2 angle braces at the front of the engine bay that limit the width in front. Mine is an old school Dart 363 small block and rear sump oil pan, different engine but I think the oil pan is about the same size and location in the frame. check it out, might save you some issues down the road
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    is that a front sump oil pan? if so I don't think it will fit in the new Gen 3 frame, there are 2 angle braces at the front of the engine bay that limit the width in front. Mine is an old school Dart 363 small block and rear sump oil pan, different engine but I think the oil pan is about the same size and location in the frame. check it out, might save you some issues down the road
    David W
    That's the usual Moroso low profile pan used for Coyote builds. The sump is on the back. The front clears the frame just fine. I have a Coyote with that pan mocked up in my Gen 3 Coupe right now and there are no fitment issues.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    That's the usual Moroso low profile pan used for Coyote builds. The sump is on the back. The front clears the frame just fine. I have a Coyote with that pan mocked up in my Gen 3 Coupe right now and there are no fitment issues.
    Correct. It's the low profile rear sump pan. The OE pan is too low and I don't wanna pave the freeway with my lube juices if I hit a pothole. It's also "required" for the Coyote in the Gen 3. Additionally, it add 2 quarts of oil to the overall capacity and has windage trays and removable baffling in case I wanna get her on the track... or sideways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just waiting to be picked up!!! There aren't words to describe the anticipation!!!

Ready2Go.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Just waiting to be picked up!!! There aren't words to describe the anticipation!!!

Ready2Go.JPG
    I am right there with you. My coupe is also waiting to be shipped and I am buzzing. I know of two other roadsters that were finished on the same day as my kit that are getting shipped to the west coast as well. Hopefully they will be able to load up a truck and head out west soon. I think they are a bit behind on shipping with the winter sale and the problem that Stewart Transportation seemed to be having.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like our cars are traveling in the same truck. My coupe is also going on this next west coast truck. DAMMMMNNNIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now begins the longest count down of my life. Kit is SHIPPED. T-minus 12 days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, glad your kit has shipped as well. I am at T-minus 6-9 days which basically puts me around fathers day. Your kit must be on the same truck. If I can, I will send you a little souvenir from Colorado with your kit.

The timing is not awesome for me as I just learned yesterday that my dad is having some major medical procedures starting the following week and I can't take time off work because we have people coming into the office to meet with me at the beginning of the week. I know once it gets here, all I will want to do is start building, however, I will be dealing with big wigs from New York and worrying about my dad instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry dude, and I appreciate the gift in advance, lol. I LOVE how connected this forum is. I swear I havent seen one arguement here, GUINESS BOOK THAT!

I'll keep your pops in my prayers, but I'm sure all will turn out okay. Silver lining... with everything going on you have some amazing distraction to keep your mind from going into places it doesn't need to be. Idle hands are the devil's workshop and there doesn't seem to be anything "idle" about what's coming on these trucks for us.

Feel free to keep in touch or shoot me a PM with your cell... it would be nice to be able to encourage each other along without them being major posted milestones. Unfortunately, I wont be that guy posting little increments, it will be big chunks. ReInCarnation is following/publishing my build, too... so it should be interesting.

Keep in touch, chin up man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that is awesome that your build will be followed by ReInCarnation. I will certainly be following that. Great idea to reach out early and get that set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah! The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?

I have an investor building a shop right now... and eventually I will be BEGGING FFR and possibly other kit builders to become a West Coast Distributor/Builder... but SHHHHH... don't tell anyone! Unless they're interested! Have them PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Driver called (it was like getting a phone call from Santa!). Delivery scheduled for 10am on 6/21! So.... close...

Post Thanks / Like
    Today is THE DAY! Stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like

Kit Arrival

So it's here. BEST. FEELING. EVER. Here's some pics, since we love those! For the record it's like 90* today. OYE... but better than over 100* the next two days.

No better sight:

WIN_20180621_10_50_09_Pro.jpg

The infamous crane pic!

WIN_20180621_10_57_51_Pro.jpg

Safe and sound inside!

WIN_20180621_11_08_54_Pro.jpg

Unloaded...

WIN_20180621_11_10_49_Pro.jpg

Wait... I have to put it together, too?

PPRK2025.JPG

So it begins!

KYUN9764.JPG

I'll get it sorted and probably have some updates later this weekend. Thanks for all the encouragement and help in advance. ESPECIALLY thankful for all you who have written articles addressing the speed bumps I feel I now may avoid. Looking forward to making some progress, small but often.

Happy Friday Jr.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good, this is going to be an awesome build and I am looking forward to following it. Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats awesome! Its such a great feeling. Keep posting !

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    big day and the now the fun parts begins.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do and thanks all! Tonight is Step 1: INVENTORY. I've added an INDEX already, too. Learning from those who went before me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it looks like you'll be busy with the coupe for a while, why don't I just swing by and move that boat out of the way for you for the summer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt K. View Post
    Since it looks like you'll be busy with the coupe for a while, why don't I just swing by and move that boat out of the way for you for the summer?
    Oh the boat gets plenty of use, Matt... Do you board? You local?

Sunday. It's of note I split my head open on a fin... but didn't "require" stitches per my professional opinion!

IMG_1003.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh the boat gets plenty of use, Matt... Do you board? You local?

Sunday. It's of note I split my head open on a fin... but didn't "require" stitches per my professional opinion!

IMG_1003.JPG
    Funny, one of the last times I went wakeboarding and the binding broke I split my head open on a fin too. Mine needed stitches though haha

Congrats on the kit arrival! You've almost caught up to me completely!
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    HAHAHAHAHA... yeah those fins smart!

So I took a hiatus, but for a reason. There were some parts that didn't come. I'm not a 1 hour tinkerer type guy. I tend to take longer to remember where I was, and pull out all my tooling than what really gets done. SO... as of Friday (tomorrow) I will have the rest of my parts. Ironically I was missing an item or two from each component. No one's fault, but I wasn't looking to half *** the install. I like knocking off big chunks. Less gets forgotten. So I've prepped the rear end, front suspension, brakes, gas tank, power steering rack and sway bar for installation. I'll post pics and maybe video of some of the install items early next week. It's finally getting underway!

In the meantime... the lakes are GORGEOUS! I know I know... BUILD ALREADY!

IMG_3790.jpg

Last edited by TheBabyBadger; 07-19-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Moving forward and making progress!

Okay so I didn't come close to my goal..but I was foiled again. My LCAs were part of my "OWED" parts and they shipped with no bolts. They're also HUGE and costs almost $30 each, plus nuts, so I'm going to wait for FFR to ship them to my by Friday.

IN THE MEANTIME, progress was still made. I laid out ALL PARTS and set them in the area they'd be installed, since this is the 3rd missing parts run now (2nd missing part that shouldn't have been). I was also able to weld and refinish the 3 link upgrade as recommended by FFR, so it's ready to install. So the next plan is to knock out gas tank, front suspension, steering, and rear end by end of day Sunday, which should now be in line. I'll made progress the next couples days. Here are some fun install and preparation pics, since that's all you wanna see anyways!

There was some confusion on whether or not I install the steering rack inner tie rod spacers, but FFR said since they supplied the rack, they have been installed already, even thought they came in the package. Fingers crossed!

Enjoy! More updates this weekend! And yes... haven't taken the body off. I will once it's in the way. No room. In fact, consolidating and making room is really the hardest part so far! Have a great week...

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank and 3-linked 3.55 installed, with suspension

Some progress. But digress... when you get your kit... don't check in boxes... LAY THEM OUT. Still missing the LCA bolts. Looked like I had em, but alas incorrect. $27 each from Ford, plus nuts. So I wait (or maybe I wont, and resell the ones they are sending, lol). BUT, I made some good progress and the build is feeling a lot less large and ominous. It's going together quickly. No snags. Good instructions. I flew through this:

Gas tank (painted) installed and LCAs installed (easier this way IMHO):

IMG_1377.JPG

Rear end prepped and upper link installed. 3 link welded in place.

IMG_1376.JPG

In place:

IMG_1378.JPG

Installed with coil-overs. Pretty straight forward. No issues. INSTALLED AT "RACECAR HEIGHT". I like my cars LOW and will run 18s. Anyone have input here?

IMG_1379.JPG

Started on the front end... no bolts. No instructions for Sway Bar upgrade. Got instructions emailed. Waiting on LCA bolts. FYI they are M16x120, unsure on pitch. And those are my knuckle adapters hanging from the front end. Primer/Gloss Black acrylic enamel. Quick. Cheap. I invested in a case of this for $12. BOOM.

IMG_1381.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed with coil-overs. Pretty straight forward. No issues. INSTALLED AT "RACECAR HEIGHT". I like my cars LOW and will run 18s. Anyone have input here?
    The 4-inch "regular" chassis height is still low. At least where I come from. It's already challenging sometimes. Speed bumps are a definite no-no. Certain driveways are a problem. Trailer ramps can be a problem too. One thing to keep in mind is I've never actually scraped the chassis running at 4 inches. But I have scraped the underside of the nose on my Roadsters a couple of times. It's even lower and with the distance from the front wheels not hard to catch because of the angle. The Coupe would be even worse maybe. I'm building mine at the regular height, but as we always say, it's your build. Go for it!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The 4-inch "regular" chassis height is still low. At least where I come from. It's already challenging sometimes. Speed bumps are a definite no-no. Certain driveways are a problem. Trailer ramps can be a problem too. One thing to keep in mind is I've never actually scraped the chassis running at 4 inches. But I have scraped the underside of the nose on my Roadsters a couple of times. It's even lower and with the distance from the front wheels not hard to catch because of the angle. The Coupe would be even worse maybe. I'm building mine at the regular height, but as we always say, it's your build. Go for it!
    Thanks for the insight... My driveway is really wide so pulling out wont be a problem... anyone set at the lower suspension point have any insight? It's not hard to raise later, but I'd prefer to do it once. pictures appreciated!

41. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight... My driveway is really wide so pulling out wont be a problem... anyone set at the lower suspension point have any insight? It's not hard to raise later, but I'd prefer to do it once. pictures appreciated!
    It's a relatively new feature from Factory Five. Not sure how many finished builds there will be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast