Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Racing Class Costs 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Racing Class Costs 2017

I found this spreadsheet on the web. It's primarily SCCA Formula but includes Spec Miata, Spec E46, NASA NP01. I found it pretty interesting. I hope this Google Docs link works in this forum. If you can't open it post a reply and I'll find another way to get it up on here.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty neat, opens fine on iPhone.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting to look at Spec Miata vs the NP01 operational cost. Not what I would have guessed.

Based on what we've seen from the Subaru engines so far, I'd project our cost per weekend to be solidly in the top half of that list.

I think Chad Plavan has it right...

Extremely interesting spreadsheet. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting spread sheet. I have my own from years ago. When I raced SM my costs were nowhere near $1300. Two things that inflate the numbers are 8 heat cycles on tires and engine rebuild after 53 hours. NASA ran Toyo RA1s and they were good for 12-16 heat cycles and if you were a miser (like me) then you could run them for another 12 practice sessions after that. I ran the same engine for 4 seasons and it dyno'd within 2 hp of new after 80+ hours.

I'm hoping to get similar life from a Subaru engine at stock boost and rev limit. We'll see.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if the Miata engines were really as short-lived as the spreadsheet suggests. That stuck out to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting overview.
    The missing factor is most racers will spend what they can afford to spend per year. I didn't see crash repair (but didn't really study the spread sheet) I have buddies that spend $100K racing SM and others that spend well under $10K all in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good comments from all. I think these costs are intended for the costs of being a top three podium finisher thru a season and at national championships. Hence the 8 cycles for tires on a Spec Miata and engine rebuilds. I know the tippy top SM competitors do insane things to get their rolling friction losses as low as possible, which reults in many components being toast in just a weekend or two.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll like these....

race car.jpgThe look....jpg

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great sheet. I can vouch for the NP01 being so darn cheap to maintain. People don't believe you, until they see it. This will be my 3rd year racing it, and I'm still on the original Hawk pads. No need for a motor or trans rebuild. I have gone through 2 front rotors ($139 each), about ready for another set of fronts.

I'm spending well less than the $610 listed per weekend. We also have contingencies that they are not taking into account. I'm saving an additional $100-$300 on each set of tires, due to Toyobucks. I have Free Hawk Brakepads coming out my ears because the car does not use the pads up. WindingRoad.com throws us cash, same with Mazda ($2200 in cash for me last year, actual cash to use on anything)

Those times for the NP01 are a little dated. At the Championships in October we were running 1:53-1:54 laps at Thunderhill. That was with a monster wind of 40+ MPH. We keep finding better setups in the car. This year they increased the minimum weight 50 pounds to help everyone get to the minimum weight (1775 now). We also have set springs in front now (600lb) and a choice in the rear of 1400 or 1600. That will help even out the field. To offset the additional weight, Elan made us a bigger air intake that bolts on. It was tested to add 4% more HP (Ram Air effect).

I'm checking a Bucket list item and racing a NP01 at Daytona in June for the WRL 14 hour race. (Birthday Present from Wife!). Not my car, but another owners car. Not many people can say they ran a Prototype at Daytona! :P

So darn cheap to run. Smiles per miles is high with the real Sequential transmission. Front running NP01's can be had with TONS of spares in the $70k's.

The NP01 is the best race car purchase I have ever made.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 02-12-2018 at 11:24 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info Chad. I'm looking forward to racing you at Thunderhill, Sonoma, or Laguna Seca someday with my Palatov D4. It too has ridiculously low running costs. It's going to be a fun race! Be sure to let me know when you may come to NorCal or even better I'd love to see you bring it to one of our Pacific NW tracks. Oregon Raceway Park being my favorite. I'll have the 818R there in two seater mode for instructing and check runs for folks who want to rent the Palatov.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Great info Chad. I'm looking forward to racing you at Thunderhill, Sonoma, or Laguna Seca someday with my Palatov D4. It too has ridiculously low running costs. It's going to be a fun race! Be sure to let me know when you may come to NorCal or even better I'd love to see you bring it to one of our Pacific NW tracks. Oregon Raceway Park being my favorite. I'll have the 818R there in two seater mode for instructing and check runs for folks who want to rent the Palatov.
    The first Pacific Series NP01 race is at Thunderhill beginning April. Hopefully we have 9-11 cars there.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)