Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Its’s Official!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Its’s Official!!!

Took the plunge today guys! My kit completion date is 6/16. I thought it would be sooner but apparently FFR is cranking out 9 kits a week and they are at capacity!

Either way I’m stoked! I think I have to work out the shipping though. Stewart quoted me $1400, which I thought was steep. I’ve shipped non driving classic cars from the West for cheaper than that. Anyone have any alternatives? Thought about going to get it myself, but not sure at this point as it’s about 19 hours.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Took the plunge today guys! My kit completion date is 6/16. I thought it would be sooner but apparently FFR is cranking out 9 kits a week and they are at capacity!

Either way I’m stoked! I think I have to work out the shipping though. Stewart quoted me $1400, which I thought was steep. I’ve shipped non driving classic cars from the West for cheaper than that. Anyone have any alternatives? Thought about going to get it myself, but not sure at this point as it’s about 19 hours.

Thanks!
    Congrats!!

I used Stewart, so I dont have any base of comparison, but there is more to it that shipping a non driving car. #1, there are a lot of boxes that come along with the kit. #2 they use a crane to get the chassis off the trailer and on to the dolly.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    .... I think I have to work out the shipping though. Stewart quoted me $1400, which I thought was steep. I’ve shipped non driving classic cars from the West for cheaper than that. Anyone have any alternatives? Thought about going to get it myself, but not sure at this point as it’s about 19 hours.
    I used Stewart. It is worth the money.

I have looked at alternate means of shipping.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your kit order. Now the wait is on.

I think you will find Stewart reasonable in their pricing coupled with their experience with delivering factory five cars. As stated previously, it’s more involved than just shipping a non rolling chassis. The kit will arrive with body on. They will even roll it into your workspace and set it down on jackstands. There will be numerous boxes involved. Have your space prepared as much as possible and get ready to do a detailed inventory. if You haven’t built a body buck yet or figured out where you will store the body while doing the chassis work, now is the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!

I paid 1300 to Chicago, IL. Sounds fair to me, no pain or hauling it as I have 3 small children to watch.
    Plus, the truck got some awesome graphics, that makes it extra special!
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

I wouldn't sweat the transport trying to save a buck or two; you've got a lot of planning to do! Is your "nest" ready? Have you built your body buck yet?

Tell us your build configuration!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t forget that if you use a different shipping company you have to pay for it to be crated and that’s 800 dollars if I remember. You would have to add that to the other shipping price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using Stewart as well. Car is coming in late April. I considered going after it my self with a Ryder or something similar but the cost was nearly twice what Stewart quoted. Plus I would have had to arrange for someway to get the car from the truck or trailer to the garage. So far I have liked working with Jolene at Stewarts as well. So, I'm expecting the delivery to go smoothly as well.

As one of the earlier post said this is the time to get ready. I've spent the last several weeks making room in my garage and building a body buck to store the body while I'm working on the chassis. This is also a great time to spend time going through the build threads on the forum. You'll find lots of good ideas for mods as well as hints to help you avoid problems during the build.

So, congratulations on your build. Like me, I'm sure your are excited as well as a little nervous. Once agin there is a lot of good advice here to help with the nerves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments guys. I actually priced some of the DIY options (Penske, Uhaul and Budget) and they were all at $1400 one way rental, and that’s without fuel, so Stewart looks like a bargain compared to them! Very surprised there.

So, I’ll be using Stewart.

Shop is ready and now it’s body buck time! Build configuration is as follows:

Powder coated Frame
    351 Mounts
    31 spline DS for TKO600 and IRS
    Body cutouts
    Power Steering Kit
    Standard Front LCS
    IRS suspension kit with complete 2015 GT IRS donor
    Vintage Factory Five Gauges
    17x9 and 17x10.5 Halibrand
    Wind wings
    Sunvisor
    Wiper Kit
    Brake Duct wire mesh
    Battery cutoff switch
    Dash upgrade with glovebox
    Roll bar grommets
    14” leather wheel
    Preassembled Louvers
    Center dash support
    Polished stainless exhaust

Also, I was able to take advantage of the 50% off upgrades Winter Sale! FFR extended it to me which is outstanding!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally picked mine up and trailered it back to Michigan. I spent right about $1000 doing it in gas and food for myself and 2 friends to do it. I would wager if you lived out west that you couldn’t pick it up yourself for $1400, so I have to say it’s a fair deal. The only reason I picked mine up was because I wanted to get the pictures of it in the rack with my name on it and the factory tour. As a added bonus I got to meet the guy that assembled my chassis.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! You are now in the most difficult phase of your build; waiting for delivery. I used Stewart for my delivery as well. Money well spent in my opinion.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! When that unmistakable truck comes rumbling into your neighborhood, all the neighbors will come running.

IMG_0864 by jhsitton, on Flickr

My kit came with 22 boxes of stuff; you'll have more.

IMG_0865 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Build the buck outside; otherwise you'll have to drag it outside to flip it.

IMG_0931 by jhsitton, on Flickr

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Congratulations! When that unmistakable truck comes rumbling into your neighborhood, all the neighbors will come running.
    John
    Very true. I had a very quiet neighbor that I had only ever waved at and said the occasional "Hello" to. He just about broke his front door off the hinges when the FFR truck pulled up. He was in there slinging boxes and helped me inventory.

Congrats on the order. Let the fun begin. When you get a chance, check out the Deep South Cobra Club. We do 3 - 4 cruises a year. Thursday - Sunday. Usually around 30 Cobras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, and it's so true when Petty sang "the waiting is the hardest part". I received my order confirmation on 12/20, completion date was set at 3/24, and it's now 4/10 and I'm still waiting to hear that my kit has been picked up by Stewart Stewart is behind due to inclement weather and some personnel issues. If waiting up to the completion date is hard, waiting AFTER the completion date is pure torture!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    Congratulations, and it's so true when Petty sang "the waiting is the hardest part". I received my order confirmation on 12/20, completion date was set at 3/24, and it's now 4/10 and I'm still waiting to hear that my kit has been picked up by Stewart Stewart is behind due to inclement weather and some personnel issues. If waiting up to the completion date is hard, waiting AFTER the completion date is pure torture!
    Wow, you have been waiting a long time!! Hope it comes soon for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    We have both picked up and had Stewart. Stewart was $1000 to Ohio which is not a lot more than what it costs me (14 hrs each way, 180 gal of diesel, + hotel for one night). The car I had Stewart pick up had a pretty substantial crack on the body which we didn't notice until several weeks later as we were wrapping up a build and the cracked kit was parked and ignored while we focused on another build. I personally looked over the body really carefully before unloading and the crack wasn't visible though the trailer is really dark toward the front. During the unloading process, I got a client call and had to step away and boxes were stacked up against it when I came back. By the time we looked at it, I couldn't say for sure that Stewart's driver did the damage, if it was there and I didn't notice or if one of my warehouse guys pulled or tugged where he shouldn't have. The other issue that I had was that Stewart took an extra 3-1/2 weeks to get it to me. I have one due in two weeks and can't afford to wait on Stewart.

One idea that i had recently was to take my large trailer which is big enough for two kits and find someone that could help share the cost if they are somewhere along the way or at least not to far out of my way.

Chris
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    I got qouted $1,600 to Merritt Island, FL for a Type 65 with the same completion date. Sounds OK to me.

Sigurd

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome!
    Welcome to the madness. Keep us posted on your progress. These forums are a huge help during the build.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome, Welcome, Welcome The The Family!
    Also, Stewart moved mine and they did a great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I got qouted $1,600 to Merritt Island, FL for a Type 65 with the same completion date. Sounds OK to me.

Sigurd
    Hey...we might be on the same truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congats!!! Like others said waiting is the hardest part.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your order

I had a great time building the car and always get a smile on my face when I turn the key a fire up the motor

This is the only car I have ever owned that people take pictures of while I’m cruising down the interstate

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

You will look in the garage at the boxes and smile, then look in the garage after the build and smile, and years later realize the smiling never goes away! It never gets old. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! The waiting is going to be tough. I have cleaned the garage and sold off anything to make more room and still going crazy waiting, maybe I should go clean the garage again. You have lots of time to prepare for the arrival.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Lots of knowledge and support on the forum for when you have questions. A great place to get ideas.... to decide if you want to build by the book or make a few modifications.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations - the obsession now begins...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.